Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!  (Read 22926 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Ceasaned to Perfection
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2014, 05:14:53 am »

In the "Iceland Incident" (the game's backstory as told by the in-game encyclopedia) they talk about how humanity hit the first UFO they encountered using 6 nuclear ICBMs.  It crash landed intact into Iceland.

Not sure a few smaller conventional missiles and the ground would be enough to tear a significant hole in a UFO :P
I assume the missiles didn't explode on contact but only somewhere nearby (shot down by the UFO?) the UFO is probably very resistant to the shock waves but the EMP just scrambled its electronics enough for it to force it into landing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:16:47 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2014, 08:29:42 am »

Yeah, Androns are impossible to stop beyond riddling them with [INSERT WEAPON CLASS PROJECTILE HERE]. At least I could never beat them with a stun baton enough to KO them, which makes sense for robots. I don't think they can be suppressed, either, which makes fighting them that much more fun.

edit: ninja creepin' 'round here.
Electroshock grenades help too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2014, 08:36:08 pm »

That last mission though...

My game started off nicely, I completely skipped the starter armor and went to Wolf, and I skipped lasers and went to plasma, so I was playing extremely conservative ground missions. Overall through my entire game I lost 7 soldiers, but 4 of those were the last mission.

Spoiler: Endgame spoilers (click to show/hide)
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:29 pm »

Encountered reapers for the first time and immediately said to myself "Yep. Those are chyrssalids."
Surprisingly fragile though. I'm playing on normal and they go down to a couple of pistol shots.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2014, 09:11:29 pm »

Encountered reapers for the first time and immediately said to myself "Yep. Those are chyrssalids."
Surprisingly fragile though. I'm playing on normal and they go down to a couple of pistol shots.
The problem is when you face them in a horde. On some of the terror missions that spawn them, if they spawn near a few juicy civilians and flank your men, it can be a wipe in one turn, even though they die rather quickly.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 10:24:50 pm »

My very first encounter with them had one come around a corner and zombify one of my men.  I took it and the zombie down without much of a problem, but it still scared me badly.  I didn't even see it on the map.  Just suddenly ZOMBIE.  Pulled all my men from that area away, and was thankful that both my rocketeers had full TUs to blast away with. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2014, 10:52:36 pm »

Did any of you get to the point where your guys with LMGs can burst twice in a turn?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2014, 12:46:41 am »

Ugh. I am so. close. to winning.So, I finally avoided the whole "Oh fuck! Andron terror missions I'm gonna die *blech*" problem by simply utterly destroying every Andron terror ship as my number one priority.

So that worked!

Then this happens:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:48:21 am by GlyphGryph »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2014, 12:52:48 am »

Did any of you get to the point where your guys with LMGs can burst twice in a turn?

Unless there's a game mechanic I'm not aware of (I'm trying to keep at least a few surprises for myself) it shouldn't be possible.  Firing an LMG takes 80% of your available TUs, regardless of what your max is.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2014, 12:55:03 am »

I can confirm I have fired the LMG twice in a turn. But only when wearing Predator armor, which makes the % taken all... wonky.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2014, 01:10:02 am »

I can confirm I have fired the LMG twice in a turn. But only when wearing Predator armor, which makes the % taken all... wonky.
From what I've found with Predator armor, you can fire an LMG twice but pretty much only if you don't move at all that turn. You might be able to move one square, or maybe crouch or rotate a little, but it still uses a massive number of TUs even with the armor. Also, I'm not sure if you can fire twice if you have a low TU count, because my 3 heavies all had 100 TUs and as far as I can remember I had less than 5 TUs left after I shot twice, so it might not work nicely with lower numbers.

Anyway, I started an ironman game on veteran. It was going fairly well until I accidentally slipped and hit 4 instead of 3. Cue an alien fighter downing my Charlie on it's way back from a mission killing all but my self-named soldier and a garbage Private. Time to restart I guess.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:11:43 am by Mono124 »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2014, 01:19:11 am »

I once misclicked trying to get my machinegunner to pointblank blast a bush at her feet because it was making breaching a UFO awkward.  Instead I clicked on the soldier next to her... I like to think that the commander mispoke and the Xenonaut he was talking to coldly executed the soldier next to her without so much as asking for confirmation.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Heh. I'm not quite so far along in the game, but I already get the feeling like I'm playing classic X-Com.

I've shot down a Caesan scout. It crashes into a military base, there's just three aliens on the outside, so it's a quick stroll to the ship itself. I have a squad of six soldiers and a Hunter arrayed in front of the entrance. One Assault opens the door - there are 3 Caesans inside. The Shielder tosses in a flashbang, suppresses two and forces another to shoot and miss a reaction shot.

Then the fun starts.

The first Assault turns around and shoots, doing unspeakable damage to the little fence the aliens are hiding behind. The second Assault storms in and violently disembowels a computer console and some wall paneling. The Hunter opens up in a hurricane of bullets, finishing off the console, the little fence, and the wall paneling, suppressing the two Assaults because the aliens inside are already as suppressed as they can be, and also destroys a very unlucky stack of barrels the Shielder is using for cover. Two Riflemen take two normal shots each, grazing the pillar behind the aliens and actually managing to score the first hit, dealing 9 damage to one of the blueshirts. Then the sniper takes an 89% shot against a redshirt in the corner and fumbles something fierce, somehow hitting the outside of the saucer.

I survived that mission because on the next turn, the aliens missed almost every shot (the Shielder caught one but survived), and on the next turn a hidden fourth Caesan reaction-fired into his buddy's back in response to my Assaults taking positions inside the saucer. But still. Let's hope such luck is not normal. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

The best way to take down UFOs early on I've found is to use a ton of grenades. Before you research stun weaponry, stack up flashbangs. Have all your men stack up outside the door, open it, throw as many flashes as you can, and close it. Repeat until enemies are incapacitated. Flashbangs are actually extremely useful, mostly just due to their ability to cause suppression... which before you have armor, means not dying. Stun grenades are better later on though, and then ultimately flashbangs and stun grenades will be situational because enemies are immune/extremely hard to stun.

edit: Also stacking up grenades/equipment is a great idea anyway, because your soldiers only get a strength increase after a ground mission that they started with 80% of their carrying weight used or higher.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:50:27 pm by Mono124 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I thought that LMGs just took 40 TUs...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8