Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!  (Read 23011 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

I just missed two 95% shots in a row. Yeah, this is X-Com.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

I thought that LMGs just took 40 TUs...
Nope. Its a percent of your soldier's TUs. I like the percentages system a lot, actually.

Also, these thread titles are silly. :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I use what I call "dakka breaching", which is lining up my machinegunners and crouching them at the door, then trying to line up one shot so that it suppresses every enemy.  From there I have assault rifles shoot over the heads of the machinegunners (presumably Xenonauts all have ear drums of superhuman strength), or leave a tile open and have assaults rush in with shotguns.  Or just kill the aliens with the machinegunners, 10 shots at close range is a lot of chances to kill.

Unfortunately if the aliens are in the wrong positions I can't suppress them all with one burst, so some will get reaction fire.  There's a high risk of a single casualty (being the first soldier who shoots).  I've started experimenting with having a shield guy open the door and either draw fire by shooting first, or have others shooting into the UFO from behind him.  That last one would be pretty ideal because it would let me surround the UFO and fire from positions where only alien could see the firing soldier, so I could suppress them one at a time.  The problem is that I can't retreat the guy who opens the door without him getting shot in the back, and even if I smoke (and thus reduce my own chances of hitting) I still can't trust that the aliens won't hit me with reaction fire.  And if I try to shoot past him I'll suppress him, which will leave him out in the open and again, probably result in one casualty.  Or I'll just shoot him in the back by accident.

Maybe flashbangs are the right choice but honestly I never find a use for them in I/I.  They seem to have a lower effective chance to suppress than a burst firing assault rifle and take about as many TUs, so... yeah.  The only use I could think of would be trying to throw them from positions where the aliens in the UFO can't see.  But that has the same problem of hitting the side of the UFO and then suppressing my own guys.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Enigmatic, I would suggest the following breaching strategy be given a try:

Turn one: Shield units block door, other units off to side. Open door, fill with flash grenades, one from each shield unit, even if it doesn't suppress it should shave TUs and reduce their opportunities for reaction fire. Then swing the riflemen in behind, throwing another round of flash grenades and finish suppressing. Even on I/I this should have a good chance of working pretty reliably even against high tier enemies.

Close the door, back out your shield dudes, plop down your heavy gunners in the position you described, end turn.

On your next turn, remember that suppression carries over. Even though the enemies won't be "suppressed" anymore, their TUs will be significantly lower and their chance of reaction fire slim. Additionally, they will be extremely easy to suppress again, to the point that even a pistol shot is likely to suppress them (depending on exactly how much suppression you did the previous turn). This means your machine gunners will be able to suppress enemies from further away more reliably, and do so with a much lower chance of unsuppressed enemies being able to take pot shots.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I like to do vs UFO's is line out my guys away from the door (in some cover if possible) then dakka down the door and more dakka inside to keep enemies suppressed until my assaults move in to kill or maybe shield guys to pistol whip them.

So silly though that UFO that gets shot out of the sky and lands fairly intact still has a door that can be shot off fairly easily. Then again can also shoot train cars to smithereens as well. I think my LMG guys and Hunter car use about half their ammo on just blowing shit up and out of the way.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I tend to have my shield guys line up in front of the door, while my riflemen or machine gunners crouch behind them.  Shield guys throw flashbangs, and any reaction shots hit the shield.  Then my riflemen and machinegunners will either open fire or gas the UFO.  Close door, repeat. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So silly though that UFO that gets shot out of the sky and lands fairly intact still has a door that can be shot off fairly easily. Then again can also shoot train cars to smithereens as well. I think my LMG guys and Hunter car use about half their ammo on just blowing shit up and out of the way.

I think I'd actually like to create a variation of Fire in the Hole (one of the mods I reccomend in the OP) that makes all external doors extremely hard to destroy and require breaching charges to get through, and which can only be opened and closed by the aliens themselves.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Robbaz is going to be making a Xenonauts video soon.

Viking antics should be humorous.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I send in a couple shield bearers with shotgunners behind them. Riflemen standing behind may throw flashbangs into the room, if they have any left. Shields are wonderful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have to ask.

Are machine guns done in the Xcom Style of multiple shots... or the New Xcom style of being homing missiles with delayed physics?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Xcom style of multiple shots. Lots of shots! Each one is capable of hitting independently, so a point blank LMG burst is truly a sight to behold. So beautiful...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

Enigmatic, I would suggest the following breaching strategy be given a try:

Turn one: Shield units block door, other units off to side. Open door, fill with flash grenades, one from each shield unit, even if it doesn't suppress it should shave TUs and reduce their opportunities for reaction fire. Then swing the riflemen in behind, throwing another round of flash grenades and finish suppressing. Even on I/I this should have a good chance of working pretty reliably even against high tier enemies.

Close the door, back out your shield dudes, plop down your heavy gunners in the position you described, end turn.

On your next turn, remember that suppression carries over. Even though the enemies won't be "suppressed" anymore, their TUs will be significantly lower and their chance of reaction fire slim. Additionally, they will be extremely easy to suppress again, to the point that even a pistol shot is likely to suppress them (depending on exactly how much suppression you did the previous turn). This means your machine gunners will be able to suppress enemies from further away more reliably, and do so with a much lower chance of unsuppressed enemies being able to take pot shots.
That... makes a lot of sense.  Reaction fire is based on TUs and suppression takes them away, that's a very good point.

Also WTF you can close UFO doors, how did I not know that?  That makes this so much easier.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

They close automatically at the end of the turn, and you can close them from the side.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Shields have a point at which they become less useful untill you get the upgraded version. An andron with a heavy plasma will destroy the shield in one turn.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Pistols are highly valid as a weapon, still, so it might be worth using them just for the damage soaking anyway. At least, that's my thinking.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8