Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!  (Read 23010 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Oh pistols are fine, shield guys remain useful for taking out caesans and non leader sebyllians, but you should prob keep them away from things like androns and up untill you get a plasma pistol (or the shield upgrade), unless you're using them to draw reaction fire since I think androns cant be supressed, which is what I'm using them for atm :P

I need to get plasma weaponry soon and hope next month the world powers will like me more, I only have two bases and the funding is getting tight, but I really needed that shrike and the new tank.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:28:24 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Well, shooting down alium stuff is the only thing that gives you bonii with countries, so focus on that :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a reminder: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11312-Xenonauts-Community-Edition-0-24-changelog-and-downloads

Download and install the community edition. It fixes numerous bugs, adds lots of little nice features, but doesn't actually alter gameplay. Also, It's going to have a memorial wall soon.

Just download and drop into your xcom folder to overwrite the existing stuff. So nice. Just read those changelogs, I mean come on!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2014, 07:23:52 pm »

Actually, I' quite impressed by how all the weapons work quite well. In the original xcom, there was a clear tier for every weapon - I rarely used anything but assault rifles --> laser rifles --> heavy plasma.
It was a bit more variable in TFTD, where I went with a mixture of gauss rifles, sonic rifles, and HE gas cannons as opposed to a homogenous armament.

Though I haven't got too far in xenonauts, I use a team of two pistol/shield bearers with plenty of flashbangs for stunning enemies, and I use them for protecting exposed troopers and storming ufos. I have a heavy machinegunner for extra dakka. I sometimes have a sniper, but mostly I full the rest with riflemen who carry (lasers at this point) and shotguns with extra mags for storming. So far I only have two jackal armours, and they're on the shields. Everyone has as many grenades of various types as they can carry, but I haven't taken any rockets after xcom accuracy struck in my last game
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Xenonauts: Get the community edtion! v.24 out! Download Andron it now!
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2014, 09:51:28 pm »

My typical loadout is 1 sniper, 1 shield, 2 assaults, 1 heavy, and 3 riflemen. Typically, I use the shield and 2 assault as forward scouts (since you really don't want just assault units scouting when you get to a crossroads or other likely ambush site). Or if I'm not really moving, shield in the rearguard paired with a rifle.

The real strength with the shield units is buying you time while being able to use all their TUs without being entirely exposed. One of my favorite tactics is spreading out my other units around an alien door, then sending in the shield to open the door, run in and scout the next room, then run back, shutting the door if necessary, before hunkering down behind their shield. And if they take reaction fire, oh well, they've got a shield anyway (though that's really rare with the incredibly slow pace I clear places at).

In other news, RIP, 3 high level soldiers, dead to an alien fighter squadron popping Charlie 1... Now I need a new sniper, shield, and assault. I may even have to resort to calling in Major "Cries A Lot," the soldier with 38 bravery (she started with 35), named for her first mission, where she panicked and fled 3 times in a row.

Though by far, my worst soldier was one in the Charlie 2 squad. He went berserk twice in one mission, shotgunning the sniper and shield to death. I was kind of happy when he died on the next mission. So uh, yeah, having a high bravery skill turns out to be pretty darned important...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]