Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: This is it, guys  (Read 33665 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: This is it, guys
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2014, 11:09:56 am »

Let's face it. When DF 2014 comes out, the internet will crash.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:50 am »

It occurs to me, players could provide mirrors themselves. Someone could download DF2014 on the day of release, upload the zip on something like Mediafire and then link the download on his forum signature. DF File Depot could be another option, although iirc space for uploading files there is limited and download speed is slower. I suppose people could go so far as making their own torrents.

The only problem I could think would be either Mediafire having an issue with uploading files that technically aren't original content or Toady not liking a bunch of unofficial alternative downloads for his game coming out.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:14 am »

In the last big releases, if I recall, Toady himself put some mirros on the main page. No one will get without DF...DF has only 10MB... it can be sent by mail!

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:06 am »

it can be sent by mail!
this isn't anything special, you could send several terabytes of data through the mail

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2014, 11:44:31 am »

it can be sent by mail!
this isn't anything special, you could send several terabytes of data through the mail
I think thvaz meant as an email attachment.

Of course, back in the 300baud modem days, a 10MB file was pretty much immobile.  (...and get off my lawn)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2014, 11:45:56 am »

Toady almost always has mirrors.  As a reminder, when it does get released folks should probably try to get it from the mirrors first, and the main site if those fail.  That would probably help keep the main site(and thus the download links themselves) working.

it can be sent by mail!
Some free email servers won't let you send more than an arbitrary amount.  You can split it up into a multipart zip, but then if that needs enough parts you'll start hitting the emails per hour limit as well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:48:31 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2014, 11:48:59 am »

Toady almost always has mirrors.  As a reminder, when it does get released folks should probably try to get it from the mirrors first, and the main site if those fail.  That would probably help keep the main site(and thus the download links themselves) working.

it can be sent by mail!
Some free email clients won't let you send more than an arbitrary amount.  You can split it up into a multipart zip, but then if that needs enough parts you'll start hitting the emails per hour limit as well.

Yes, I meant as an e-mail attachment. Even the worst clients allow you to send a 10 MB attachment.

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:22 am »

I feel like the game is coming out today or tomorrow. Maybe late today, or maybe very early tomorrow. i just want DF 2014.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2014, 11:52:52 am »

DF File Depot could be another option, although iirc space for uploading files there is limited...

At 100 MB.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »

DF File Depot could be another option, although iirc space for uploading files there is limited...

At 100 MB.

Yeah, and at the time I was thinking of all the worlds DF can gen that can make the whole DF folder over 200 mb of files. But just a fresh DF zip with nothing but raws and no saves wouldn't be that big, yeah.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »

Didn't that just get increased to 250? I could have sworn someone said it did in the suggestions thread and this:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »

I am extremely excited, it is happening. Soon. So very soon.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

pingas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:29 pm »

EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:36 pm »

I've been playing 2012 for a month now.

After finding out what the new release will contain, I am hyped.
A rare state of mind for me.

What I gather from reading various posts is that one can(must) expect it to be buggy.
Even so, I shall play it.

This will give me the chance to experience unintended Fun.
This will force me to play with vanilla graphics, a welcome challenge.
This will create a vortex of time consuming enjoyment.

Now, I wait.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »

I feel like a torrent might be a good idea just in case stuff goes down for too long.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18