Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: Chronicles Of Aprilia: The Apocalyptic Era (D&D 3.5 Maptool) - Now recruiting  (Read 43826 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chronicles Of Aprilia: The Apocalyptic Era (D&D 3.5 Maptool)
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2014, 04:57:46 pm »

Was going to go spiked shield later, but then again, why not now? :P I've pretty much finalized everything, so give any comments on what I might be missing or that's wrong
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

Aye, which is why changes need to be made to it. To make him more about tanking the magic and negating stuff than being unable to use magic items or have them used against him.

The antimagic field, even just a 10-foot one, is overpowered then? I mean, he'd be fucked by a Stormtrooper or Lockdown build, most times, as far as I can tell.

Also; thus the balancing notes. No playtesting has been done so far, as I haven't gotten to play enough.

For now, I'm going to disallow it. Resubmit it later with some more work put into it and I might change my mind.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »

Oh one thing before I forget: Are you going to allow things from the Complete series of splatbooks? The shield feats I want later on are in Complete Warrior
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 05:43:37 pm »

The one with the bear warrior? I don't see any particularly good shield feats there, but it's allowed.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 05:47:25 pm »

Alright, that's fair.

So we have a Board-and-Bash Fighter, a Dragonfire Bard, and maybe a Nekrobold. We have a basher, we have a face, we might have a blaster.

So I could be my Beguiler still, if I focused on sneaking and what-not, and still be the super-spy type of guy I want to be...I could be a tank, go for barbarian(not dwarven, sadly :'() or a paladin(not crusader, sadly :'()...I could be an alpha-burst damage dealer, Paladin/Ranger w/Devoted Tracker or Rogue/Scout w/Swift Ambusher...I could be the ultima guide with a Scout or Scout/Ranger...I could be a divine caster of some kind(I dun' really like playing full casters tho, too many spells and whatnot to keep track of, preparing new ones each day...makes my head spin), or a Warlock(Warlocks iz fun)...

Well, it looks like we'll be traveling a lot...so guide of some sort it is. I assume Complete Adventurer is okay to use, yes?

Also, what type of stuff is actually in the Encyclopedia Arcane? Anything important for non-casters or no?

NINJA: There's some stuff like Shield Slam and Shield Charge. Not particularly good, like you said, but they're there.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 05:53:34 pm »

So.

Question on a couple fronts.

A. Small Reach Weapons. Small characters obviously still have reach with them, and medium characters can use them in one hand with a penalty. Do medium characters still get Reach with them?
B. Moving via Gliding. If I were to be a Dragonborn with Wings(dunno if Dragonborn are a thing in your world since they were born and all) or a Raptoran(those poor Rocs/Giant Owls/Giant Eagles/etc), and I was gliding during combat, would I still be able to make a full attack action?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 06:02:11 pm »

Umm, a Small longspear would be the equivalent of a regular spear, so I doubt it

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 06:15:08 pm »

I should note, we also have one of these.  And I'm considering a homebrew class too, at this point, though it'd still be a face-type.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 06:32:51 pm »

Hmm, so unarmed DPSer with arcane effects to his punches, and me as a more traditional hybrid tank(I can still use my shield, as you know, a shield, even when bashing with it). Sounds like our frontline is set, though if needed I have a blaster concept using a Dragonfire Adept as a backup, in case we don't get a true blaster. Dragonfire Adepts are fun :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 06:37:08 pm »

Umm, a Small longspear would be the equivalent of a regular spear, so I doubt it

Who said anything about longspears? And for that matter, it really wouldn't. A small character gets reach with it, but they wouldn't get reach with a Medium Shortspear.

I'm talkin' 'bout Glaives, Ranseurs, Guisarmes, and the like.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:32 pm »

....oh yeah, one of those rules quirks. I dunno man, Shonus might not like cheese like that :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »

So.

Question on a couple fronts.

A. Small Reach Weapons. Small characters obviously still have reach with them, and medium characters can use them in one hand with a penalty. Do medium characters still get Reach with them?
B. Moving via Gliding. If I were to be a Dragonborn with Wings(dunno if Dragonborn are a thing in your world since they were born and all) or a Raptoran(those poor Rocs/Giant Owls/Giant Eagles/etc), and I was gliding during combat, would I still be able to make a full attack action?

A: No
B: That sounds reasonable, but I don't know the RAW answer.

As for the Encyclopedia Arcane series, it is mostly designed for spellcasters. It is, however, far more than just books of spells with a bit of flavor. For example, Demonology contains extensive rules on selling your soul (or someone else's soul) to outsiders, enslaving outsiders to your will, barganing with them, and similar. Crossbreeding involves jamming two creatures together to make a hybrid such as the Owlbear, and Constructs involves making golems and other magimechanical works.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 07:06:38 pm »

Hmm. Alright.

I ask because the first one creates a way to make a two-weapon wielding Scout safe from AoOs. I ask the second because it allows an effective ranged Scout.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 08:35:15 pm »

Considering the impact of the stars in the previous campaign, I'm considering using the Star Magic book from Encyclopedia Arcane. I haven't finished reading the book yet, though, so no guarantees.

EDIT: Nope, gonna come up with something else. I like the flavor, but they're not very different from wizards. (Who are boring.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:52:39 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 09:00:32 pm »

Just as well. That's the only book in the series I don't have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43