Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 16687 times)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:13 pm »

I am somewhat curious as to what we need to start? Are we waiting for a stabler version of the new version, are we waiting for more players, to discuss and settle on things, for a good time to start. Just looking for when I need to check in or what else I could/need to contribute?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »

I forget the exact specifics, but I believe the following may (if deemed necessary) be discussed, in no particular order:

What kind of area we embark on (though I suppose a world should be genned so we can check out a map), and probably what sort of world we want genned.

What we are to bring on embark, beyond specific personal property.

Pre-embark traditions/politics and the like.

General goals of the game so we can at least partially be on the same page.

Any questions/clarifications about the rules.

I'll throw in my opinion on these things tomorrow, though feel free to make suggestions now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:26:10 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »

The initial post mentions an electable overseer does that mean that the game will be passed to whoever that is?

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »

Priest Keroe is correct.
We can have a discussion/correction of the  or agree to it.
We can decide on some base rules/laws traditions, or accept that next chance to do that will be around first migrant wave.
We can decide to stop by in some hill villages to get supplies and maybe some serfs, or mandate mandatory labor for the first few perionds(how many?), like Neblime suggested.
And finally we need to decide the length of game period and length of the overseer mandate.

Edit: I think we will start before DF2014:"It was inevitable" will become playable. Sadly old bugs, binary patched in DF2012 by community are still around in current version. (I've seen report of the hospital bug). So we will likely have to wait for binary patches again. Until then we will be playing DF2012
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:38:05 pm by TeleDwarf »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »

So what is the current value of in game noble positions?
Most specifically those we can't change like Baron, Count, Duke and Monarch? But all the useful ones as well.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 02:58:45 pm »

As it currently stands - they are irrelevant until we get some laws/traditiins regarding them. Players can claim them at will or government(currently all of us) can decide what qualify a player to claim certain position.

So if nothing changes until actual start - you will be able to claim any or all of those positions for free, then I can usurp sny of those @1,  then you can reclaim @1, then Neblime can usurp @1, then Keroe can usurp @1, then you can usurp @1,  then I can usurp it again from you @2(same action, same agressor, same victim)...
So it makes sense to agree upon something here. Overseer cannot give those titles at will. Noone wants to be a CMD -> no healthcare.

Also there is no guarantee we will actually accept the barony. It is up to government at that time.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 03:47:54 pm »

Okay so in-game title will only give influence/whatnot based on what we decide?

My grasp of the whole influence stuff is still quite shaky. I am bad at abstracts especially ones I haven't actually played around with.

I have a couple of quite possibly the most horridly ill-conceived thoughts.

The game has an in game mechanic for selecting expediton leader/mayor. I was thinking it might be neat to have being elected to that position transfer one influence from the shared pool to the elected characters personal. More thought on this make me think it could become unworkable or limiting which in and of itself could be very dwarfy.

Rather than tying any static influence to chief medical dwarf I would like to see it gain or lose influence based on it's success in treating patients. ie, after an accident if someone's arm gets broken and the doctor treats him and he fully recovers, the doctor might get something like 2 influence from the dwarf in question and one from a shared pool. Recovery but losing the ability to grasp might only give 1 from each or just one from the shared pool. On the other hand amputations and infections might carry penalties. Probably simpler just to limit the title to being in effect if he treated any patients in the year but far more boring.

I both want to and don't want to put this out there. In one of my forts I decided to create a hall of sort that was filled with pillars that I would then smooth and engrave a pillar each year. I also put coffins and slabs in the area and engraved the floor for significant events that weren't years passing. We may not want to do the coffin/slab thing but this was the first thing that popped into my mind in terms of traditions.

I think players from the previous incarnation of this have a better idea than I do as to what length play period works best and I am content to wait to hear from them about it.

Length of overseer mandate I have what I think is an interesting idea for. If my understanding isn't wrong at this point DF play will last from start to interrupt at which point forum play will begin and when forum play is done DF play will start again and so on. One of the things traditional community games seem to suffer from is split focus creating many half finished projects. I suggest that if someone proposes something and it is accepted, they become overseer either for a duration included in the proposal or until the proposal reaches completion, barring interrupts which may temporarily cause changes in overseer. I seem some issues with this and the more I think about it the more flawed it seems, but again my grasp on the influence mechanics is spotty.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »

Name: Kalkor Gemstrike
Possessions: Copper Pickaxe, Clothes
Skills: Skilled Miner
Novice Gem Cutter & Gem Setter
Adequate Swimmer

BIO: His father a gemcutter in the mountainhomes, Kalkor quickly picked up bits and pieces of the trade as a child.  However Kalkor's father became unemployed and Gemstrike was sent into the mines upon reaching 12.  His life evolved as he soon became a miner explorer, hired to swim the dangerous waters of the caverns in search for new mineral veins.  Few dwarves dare to do that, and that is why Gemstrike left the mountainhomes upon a paycut.  He joined a group of Libertarian adventurers and set off for a new life.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 06:56:59 pm »

added you rabid!
two questions for mainly tele I guess.
Should I also be recording what people own? (not that we're sure people can get what they want upon embark yet)
and are we progressed enough I can start suggesting traditions?
i'm all for staying with df2012, the new version is pretty buggy hehe
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:45 pm »

We should stick with 2012 in my opinion.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:31 pm »

I'm all for 2012

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:04 pm »

all the bugs in the new version...
It is terrifying
edit- the infographic rabid made is cool, we should put that in the op!
I have two questions though,
when you spend influence to make someone do something, they recieve half the cost (rounded up) and the pool recieves the FULL cost??  Does that mean you create more global influence when you do that?  (I thought the pool just got the remainder)
And how exactly can the government or anyone get to negative influence?  Are you allowed to spend enough influence in one action to put you below 0?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:24:53 pm by neblime »
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2014, 07:26:59 pm »

One thing Rabid's character brought to mind was do I really need to specify bringing clothes?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »

hehe I should hope not unless you want something specific

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2014, 08:17:37 pm »

Isn't it technically possible to abuse the military to enforce clothing and clothing choices? I never have but in the interest of not  delegating an entire industry to the peasants I thought it might be worth bringing up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17