Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread  (Read 30967 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hell/Jack Chick/Bible/Christianity etc. Discussion thread
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:00 am »

What if they get married? Is it still a sin then?

Though I suppose their probably not supposed to get married. But, hypothetically speaking, suppose they could. Would it still be a sin then?
Most who believe this would tell you that same-sex marriage is metaphysically impossible, as marriage has a divine component that God would not grant to a non-sanctioned form of paring. Thus all same-sex marriage on Earth is merely human delusion.
Roman Catholics believe in the sacrament of marriage, that is, it's instituted by God and has a "divine component". Most Protestant churches believe that it's just a representation of Christ and the church, but intended for man and woman.
Most, but I've seen the acceptance of marriage's divine component as a fallback strategy for some Protestant churches in the past years. Not winning the intent fight, they go to "but it's literally impossible" as a kind of perfect denial, like presuppositionalism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:24 am »

Most, but I've seen the acceptance of marriage's divine component as a fallback strategy for some Protestant churches in the past years. Not winning the intent fight, they go to "but it's literally impossible" as a kind of perfect denial, like presuppositionalism.
Huh. Okay, I didn't know that.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2014, 02:23:34 am »

SEE
I believe this one is best appreciated when this is in the background.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2014, 07:46:33 am »

SEE
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I read it while that song was playing, and it was exactly the same to me.
Now then, if all of Bay12 ended up in hell for whatever reason, what do you think would happen?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2014, 07:52:06 am »

Now then, if all of Bay12 ended up in hell for whatever reason, what do you think would happen?
We'd finally get that meetup we all wanted ;p

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:27 am »

We'd finally get that meetup we all wanted ;p
I assume you're referring to what was discussed in the WTF thread?
Hmm... it would be amusing to make a forum game on this, actually.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2014, 08:13:17 am »

SEE
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. I read it while that song was playing, and it was exactly the same to me.
Heaven would get jealous.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 11:09:24 am »

We've colonized hell before. What did you think we were practicing for?  :P

In other news, I think we've about run out the sin discussion. Do you want to continue on a more general religion topic, or should we finish here?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:52:21 am by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

I'm Satanist too. And  apparently almost all of FG&RP have satanic magical powers of TEH DOOM!!!!1111!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:19 pm »

but it's a moot point because it doesn't actually have any bearing on whether you go to Heaven or Hell.

calvanist detected

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2014, 02:07:54 pm »

There are too many sects. Calvinist, Lutheran, Baptist, Episcopalian, Evangelical, etc, etc... The list just goes on! How am I supposed to keep all these straight?

/humor
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:10:53 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 02:34:54 pm »

There are too many sects. Calvinist, Lutheran, Baptist, Episcopalian, Evangelical, etc, etc... The list just goes on! How am I supposed to keep all these straight?

/humor
Well, what you really need to remember is that most of those aren't actually Christian. They're in league with the Scotsmen, all of them.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »

/humor
Well, what you really need to remember is that most of those aren't actually Christian. They're in league with the Scotsmen, all of them.
Damn Scotsmen. They ruined Scotland!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:10 pm »

Ahh, pity I missed this thread.

I highly recommend Jack Chick tracts to anyone. They are extremely entertaining. I still have fond memories of attending the Good News Club with a protestant friend during elementary school, and seeing these. I think Dark Dungeons was my favorite. Just picture this: there I was, young elementary school kid who played Dungeon and Dragons with his father as the DM, with a friendly good-natured...and posibly somewhat naive and sheltered protestant friend...introducing him to the game with book covers like these:

Demons and dragons[1] and wizards[2], oh my! Clearly any book with a title like "Deities and Demigods" was an occult manual of the various demonic summonable entities, right?

Right?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_beast_(Revelation)
[2] http://biblehub.com/exodus/22-18.htm

Sadly, the 70s and 80s christian view of D&D turned out to not be quite correct. I think it Gary Gygax who said it best when he commented that if D&D really was a recruitment tool for demons to tempt mortals with sorcerous powers...then surely he should have been an Archmage by now.

And yet, here I've both played and run campaigns that ran for years and I can't even can't a simple magic missle.

*sigh*
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16