Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steeloak farming operation ruined by seed bag issue  (Read 1348 times)

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steeloak farming operation ruined by seed bag issue
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:46 am »

Hi all,

Just in case anyone had any suggestions/help, basically I have a situation where no steeloaks are now farmed, as dwarves won't pick up the bag itself. I have no idea what's happening, but no bags at all are being moved - I have cotton fibre bags all over the place, and more importantly steeloak bags. Every now and then if I build a new plot a dwarf will go plant a solitary seed, but then the cancelled job spam begins. If I get rid of all Steeloak farms, the bag just sits there, forever, doing nothing.

Any help greatly appreciated :(. I've even tried spawning in Steeloak seeds to no success :(

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
Re: Steeloak farming operation ruined by seed bag issue
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:10 am »

I -think- I've heard of this. Getting your hands on an actual plant (instead of a seed) will snap them out of it and allow you to handle the seeds. You can use dfhack for that, I think this might help: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2619-wishingwithdfhack
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »

The issue with needing an adult plant is just a one-time trigger to make the seeds appear in the farm plot's seasonal planting menu.  But Tiresais says they're planting one seed per plot, so it must be a different issue.

That said, I don't quite understand what Tiresais is saying.  He's got bags with steeloak seeds (acorns?) in them, and they are NOT being moved (which is good, yes?), but dwarves are still NOT planting seeds from them?  Maybe a burrows issue of some kind.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:26:13 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:55:36 pm »

The issue with needing an adult plant is just a one-time trigger to make the seeds appear in the farm plot's seasonal planting menu.  But Tiresais says they're planting one seed per plot, so it must be a different issue.

That said, I don't quite understand what Tiresais is saying.  He's got bags with steeloak seeds (acorns?) in them, and they are NOT being moved (which is good, yes?), but dwarves are still NOT planting seeds from them?  Maybe a burrows issue of some kind.

Yea but it's not every plot - even more randomness. I built 4 plots (allowing time between them) and they put seeds in 3 but decided "meh" on the 2nd plot I built.

Yea they don't move the seed bags even with no other orders to follow and no burrows (I accidentally embarked on an area with no goblins so I never needed to assign safety, going to insult an Orc's mother to get some action soon). No idea why they are ignoring the bags - I even set up a specific stockpile for them but no gravy.

On the wishing thing - is that bundled with masterwork? I don't have those options

edit: Erm something happened, not sure what, but they're happy to plant again. Bags still not moving, but stuff's happening. I reset my laptop, so it might be a complete df restart that solved it (thought I had tried that). That or the steeloak acorn bag I bought off the Elven caravan... Who knows...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:18:23 pm by Tiresais »

Tiresais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »

nvm, back to message spam lol - could it be that I created the wrong steeloak acorns

I ran the following commands;

createitem SEED STEELOAK_SMALL 20
createitem SEED STEELOAK 20

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:52:40 pm »

I've noticed this in the last 4-5 versions for farming myself. Some maps, my dwarves will REFUSE to plant seeds (usually gets 1 done, then stops and begins this bug). They often run to the bag, but don't take it, get a ? on them, try again, and do a little funky dance going back and forth (until they change job tasks). I've allowed/denied barrels in stockpiles, erased stockpiles, forbid/claimed the seeds, bags, etc. Nothing solved it.

They did this with Butchering (due to being historical figures, and kept trying to butcher them non-stop).

And it occurs often with Hive keeping and trying to grab a wild colony, I'd have every hivekeeper in the fort stand on a hive till they almost die of hunger or similar, run off, come back, and stand on it with the same red ? animation, then immediately retrying.

As for the causes of all this, I'm not sure myself. The 'not showing up on farm list' isn't an issue for me. The bug seems to be biome based (I can embark twice in the same biome, and encounter it in both forts - yet a new biome I have no issue, even with the same plants).

I don't use burrows at all (bar a small emergency 'get these idiot urists inside and not picking flowers in the field when a red dragon comes to visit), so it's not burrows either...

If i get the bug, I'll work on finding the cause/fix to it (assuming there is some trick in game to fix it until Meph figures the issue out).

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

I'd recommend asking all of this in the dwarf thread. People (including Meph) will be more likely to respond.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:43 am »

agreed, even dropping a link to this thread over there might be helpful.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!