Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best game GUI toolkit/framework  (Read 962 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best game GUI toolkit/framework
« on: July 02, 2014, 09:50:08 am »

Hi everyone,
I'm starting on a new game project and wanted to ask for some advice. As some may or may not remember I was working on CyberRL a cyberpunk rogue-like. While I'm definitely going to continue with that, it was a group project and the other members have had to take a step back from that for a while. Although I could continue solo, I'd rather work on something else until it's time to return to that.

This new game is going to be heavily GUI based  - very much like Aurora/4x game in terms of user interface.

While I'm pretty good with Python+Libtcod, it's not the best thing to use for GUI based stuff. Similarly, I've not been a fan of wxpython/wx/boaconstructor/Tkinter. I've found them pretty messy and non-intuitive. While I'd like to use Python as a base, I'm happy to move to other languages if there is a really great framework elsewhere.

Therefore I wondered what the general consensus is on the best GUI framework/toolkit? I'm looking for something moderately stable and something that doesn't have many outside dependencies/stuff that need to be bundled in or installed separately. It'd be good if it could also look not too much like a windows 95 program out of the box, and be quite well supported or at least stable.

I'm thankful for all suggestions, but please give a moderately detailed response with pros and cons if you can as it'll really help me decide.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.