Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flagging individuals for capture instead of murdering them.  (Read 7747 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the introduction of non-lethal combat, i propose players are given to ability to flag individuals to be captured
Currently capturing fortress invaders is only possible with meticulously set up cage traps which requires knowledge of where enemies are going to be in advance.
Creatures flagged for capture should be approached with non-lethal combat until unconscious, relieved of their weapons and tossed into a prison cell.
Being able to flag a goblin squad leader for capture instead of the default murder would be helpful to demotivate the rest of his squad, and in the future to maybe ransom him out for the return of stolen children.
This could also be incorporated into the Sheriff or Militia Commander's job as being arrest warrants.

And being able to flag enemies for capture in adventure mode would make sense, because it'd prevent your companions from murdering the people you want to interrogate.

Also, manually flagging every enemy for a reaction is too much micromanagement. Enemies should be approached with murder in mind unless stated otherwise.

Finally, the flag shouldn't be applicable solely to invaders and enemies. It should be possible to flag anyone for capture, including unruly citizens, pesky nobles the valued upper class, and the adventurer himself if he manages to piss off a city's militia enough.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:16:16 pm by Adrian »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Flagging creatures for capture instead of murdering them.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:27:57 pm »

And animals.

I thought that was going to be what the topic was about...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flagging creatures for capture instead of murdering them.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

Well, technically humans and dwarves and such are creatures too. But i understand the confusion.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flagging individuals for capture instead of murdering them.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 03:47:25 am »

I support this wholeheartedly. Collecting noteworthy prisoners is fun, but caging them traps along their entire squads feels outright exploity. Capturing them by force in combat is how I've always wanted to do it!

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 10:52:18 am »

Well, being that the new update will introduce hostility levels (though I'm not sure that's implemented for fortress mode), it may be more straightforward for dwarves to act defensively (being that they are always on the defense) and merely to respond to the enemy's stance--capturing them if they surrender. Though I suppose a capture order could be useful for caravans and others who do not start out hostile. Makes me wonder if dwarven morality raws have something to say about killing prisoners.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »

Well, being that the new update will introduce hostility levels (though I'm not sure that's implemented for fortress mode), it may be more straightforward for dwarves to act defensively (being that they are always on the defense) and merely to respond to the enemy's stance--capturing them if they surrender. Though I suppose a capture order could be useful for caravans and others who do not start out hostile. Makes me wonder if dwarven morality raws have something to say about killing prisoners.
That would probably fall under oathbreaking (for those responsible for the prisoners) and assault (for everyone else), though some exceptions are in order if the entity permits torture.

"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:51:15 pm »

Can I sig this?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:18:45 pm »

Maybe this could be the special purpose of the Captain of the Guard's squad. Subduing enemies (and dwarves) and then hauling them off to the dungeons.

You should be able to capture invaders that have yielded in combat after being grievously maimed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:00:09 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:09:31 am »

Can I sig this?
Sure, no problem.  (Sorry I was away from the forum for a bit!)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 11:29:46 am »

I'm a fan of this idea. It figures that trying to non-lethally subdue someone is more difficult than straight-up murdering them when you're armed with weapons suited mostly for killing, so it's balanced in that trying to capture an entire invading goblin army will likely result in far more casualties for the player.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 11:53:07 am »

Can I sig this?
Sure, no problem.  (Sorry I was away from the forum for a bit!)

No worries and thanks.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »

It figures that trying to non-lethally subdue someone is more difficult than straight-up murdering them
I'm fully expecting someone to make a squad of unarmed fire-retardant ninja-monks to subdue dragons.