Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1541310 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting
« Reply #10095 on: November 18, 2019, 07:47:45 pm »

There are quite a few options actually.

But they can all be arbitrarily taken from you, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10096 on: November 18, 2019, 11:57:27 pm »

The Man will never find my buried, 30-terabyte stash of classic sitcoms and Hanna Barbera cartoons.

...Oh right, almost forgot what I came in here to mention.
South Dakota's new anti-drug campaign.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10097 on: November 19, 2019, 03:47:36 am »

All this talk of Zim  reminds me that I really should watch the movie.

Also if you want a format no one will take from you, you got to get Betamax because nobodies got a machine that'll play those things.

Or you could use VHS sense nobody cares about those anymore.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10098 on: November 19, 2019, 04:02:32 am »

Betamax?  Phhht. Too mainstream.

Go for selectavisionor digital vhs. :)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:07:39 am by wierd »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10099 on: November 19, 2019, 04:17:38 am »

The real solution is to record them while they’re on and burn them to a dvd. One day, all internet services will go the way of businesses, but there’ll always be a business of smuggling those good old dvds.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10100 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:41 am »

Bruh, what?!
My friends and I have a pretty awesome, ever-growing VHS collection between us. Well, most of it's theirs - but I keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm in an op-shop or such.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10101 on: November 19, 2019, 05:57:00 am »

selectavision
I keep seeing the discs for those around, but I've never seen the thing that plays them, I've never bothered getting them because I don't think they'd work in my Laserdisc player.

Bruh, what?!
My friends and I have a pretty awesome, ever-growing VHS collection between us. Well, most of it's theirs - but I keep my eyes peeled whenever I'm in an op-shop or such.
I meant that in the way that people wouldn't steal them because they aren't worth much money, I mean I still have my VCR and a bunch of tapes and I couldn't use my crappy old TV without it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10102 on: November 19, 2019, 07:07:55 am »

selectavision
I keep seeing the discs for those around, but I've never seen the thing that plays them, I've never bothered getting them because I don't think they'd work in my Laserdisc player.

Man, the story behind Selectavision is even more amazing than just that.

They're not optical discs. They're actually vinyl records on which RCA somehow worked out how to encode color video, and played with a stylus. The point was that stamping them like they did with records would be cheaper and faster than copying tapes. The limiting factor in the price of VHS tapes was the time needed to copy the movie (hence why you can get movies on DVD for $2, which is much cheaper than the cheapest VHS movie ever was - DVDs are stamped not recorded).

Selectavision just turned out to take WAY longer to develop than expected. RCA started work on it 1964 but didn't have them on the market until 1981. And by then "sunk cost fallacy" thinking kicked in and they launched it: RCA closed down a year or two after Selectavision was cancelled. Selectavision was pretty awesome, however it missed the window of opportunity. It would have been a killer product if launched 5 years earlier.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:25:21 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10103 on: November 19, 2019, 07:38:18 am »

Even crazier than Reelya points out!

The stylus does not touch the disk!!  It's a capacitative recording medium; The stylus picks up subtle electrostatic potentials from the differing capacitances of the groove markings!

and for about 100$ (including shipping), you can have a player for those discs if you really want them!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-SelectaVision-Video-Disc-CED-Player-SGT-075-Tested/303365740998?hash=item46a201d9c6:g:~9MAAOSwJfFd0APQ

(Though I dont know why you would...)

Digital VHS at least lets you record the shows, and does quasi-HD. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:45:38 am by wierd »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10104 on: November 19, 2019, 07:55:47 am »

I never knew that, that makes them sound way cooler to bad I've never seen one for sale anywhere so it'll be a long time before I get a hold of one.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10105 on: November 19, 2019, 09:05:56 am »

The Man will never find my buried, 30-terabyte stash of classic sitcoms and Hanna Barbera cartoons.

*Snaps on gloves.*

You know how 13-year-olds have a lot of stress and also money to spend to relieve that stress? 4.8% of South Dakota 9th graders admit to having used meth. I don't know why that's the stat they gave, other than adults won't admit to shit, but there it is. Having been to South Dakota, I would be surprised if less than 10% of adults are addicted. It's a combination of being a poor state, and absolutely boring. It's worst on the reservations (not-quite prisons for natives), because last I knew the 3 poorest counties in the country where all reservations in South Dakota, which is intentional.

Edit: but back to the funny parts - they are on meth, most of them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:38:20 am by Iduno »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10107 on: November 19, 2019, 01:32:14 pm »

Oh, can you tell us what the person was being ann idiot about?

Not really. It's a long thread, and doesn't add anything to the story.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10108 on: November 19, 2019, 02:25:41 pm »

*Snaps on gloves.*

You know how 13-year-olds have a lot of stress and also money to spend to relieve that stress? 4.8% of South Dakota 9th graders admit to having used meth. I don't know why that's the stat they gave, other than adults won't admit to shit, but there it is. Having been to South Dakota, I would be surprised if less than 10% of adults are addicted. It's a combination of being a poor state, and absolutely boring. It's worst on the reservations (not-quite prisons for natives), because last I knew the 3 poorest counties in the country where all reservations in South Dakota, which is intentional.

Edit: but back to the funny parts - they are on meth, most of them.

Iduno, man, if I was 13 and was asked to admit something I’d probably have said I’ve used meth, too, or slept with everyone, or anything edgy like that.

Well, probably not. I was a good little boy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10109 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »

Iduno, man, if I was 13 and was asked to admit something I’d probably have said I’ve used meth, too, or slept with everyone, or anything edgy like that.

Well, probably not. I was a good little boy.

I think we were afraid they'd know who said yes, and you'd get in trouble.

Also, I just remember the methhead who got arrested/rescued (arescued?) while he was naked in ~25 F river water. It was partially frozen over, but moving water doesn't freeze so well. I've had heat stroke while drunk, and decided to sleep on a sidewalk because it felt cold, but I can't imagine why you'd get bare-assed naked and get in partially-frozen water. He was trying not to get arrested, but the river isn't going to treat you much better. I imagine Benny Hill playing during the incident.
Pages: 1 ... 672 673 [674] 675 676 ... 879