Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1550710 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Unlimited Laugh Works
« Reply #11385 on: December 17, 2020, 04:56:05 pm »

Was the British player the same one you had issues with in the past by any chance, regarding them trying to take you out with China in CKII and other things in EUIV?
lmao yes

*EDIT
Though the current UK player was the CK2 Germany player, and the CKII GB player couldn't make these vic2 games. The thing is - the UK player is the one who organised this originally, bringing us all together to do a "concert of Europe" game. His idea of concert of Europe was the UK does a world conquest whilst the other great powers just kinda... Exist... In Europe. Though my other friends are complete noobs at Vic2 I'm still having so much more fun with them because they're playing to have fun, not playing to be powerful. What's the point of playing """competitively""" with a superpower? There's no sport in competition when you totally outclass your competition. We've since continued playing without the UK player as Algeria, megaBrazilhuehue and Taiping Heavenly Kingdom and we're having a blast just memeing world history together. A part of my soul is glad we could salvage something from this mess; the last time I introduced a friend to vic2, my UK player crushed him as France vs Russia, and the experience was so unpleasant I could never get my friend to play vic2 again. What drives someone to pwn noobs? Lust for gold? A heart of darkness? I'll never know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:34:09 pm by Loud Whispers »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11386 on: December 17, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »

Jesus. That's, like... Someone who tries to be *good* at Magicka.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11387 on: December 17, 2020, 08:24:51 pm »

Sometimes I think it's just the evil in the human heart coming out. The newb pwners are just a tamer version of it. They share the same affliction as the bullies in the schoolyard beating up the little kids for laughs, the wife beaters that get off on their lovers suffering, the kings who lust after the misery of the peasants, it's a species wide psychosis we recognize in people of all walks of life from all cultures, beginning in adolescence and only becomes more effectively hidden or justified to cultural norms with age, but never lessens. Why pwn newbs? Why be evil?

Apparently it's hilarious or something, infected youths often laugh while theyre doing it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11388 on: December 17, 2020, 08:29:40 pm »

See, I enjoy being horrible in video games, it’s usually just to AI characters rather than other players.

Except in Fall Guys. I am horrible in some of the games in that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11389 on: December 17, 2020, 09:23:12 pm »

Your words give me transformice flashbacks. Ia ia, anvil god ftaghn!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11390 on: December 17, 2020, 09:23:38 pm »

See also:
"Is playing DF immoral?"
- that one thread

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #11391 on: December 17, 2020, 10:39:09 pm »

See also:
"Is playing DF immoral?"
- that one thread
Lol what? Dwarves, are just data. They do not have a consciousness. About as intelligent, as something like bacteria, and about as complex. Which is to say, quite! But it doesn't make them special, like.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11392 on: December 17, 2020, 11:30:50 pm »

See also:
"Is playing DF immoral?"
- that one thread
Lol what? Dwarves, are just data. They do not have a consciousness. About as intelligent, as something like bacteria, and about as complex. Which is to say, quite! But it doesn't make them special, like.

How dare you my dwarves are the best and they could beat your dwarves with their hands tied behind their beards fite me. /s

But yeah. It reminds me of one of the snake stories in MGS2: Substance, in which you’re doing the VR mode until you figure out that the VR Machine has to pull the various participants in whatever you’re doing from different dimensions, until you actively exit from VR mode and continue the story.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11393 on: December 18, 2020, 02:28:26 am »

Some of y'all never read about the controversy surrounding the Creatures series of games and it shows

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11394 on: December 18, 2020, 02:40:25 am »

Some of y'all never read about the controversy surrounding the Creatures series of games and it shows
what kind of controversy? Can you link an example?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11395 on: December 18, 2020, 03:06:48 am »

Oh I remember that thread and I read about the Creatures controversy.

I wonder how many pro-virtual rights people were actually trolling. If they weren't they should really grow a pair.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11396 on: December 18, 2020, 04:40:46 am »

I don't have the greatest amount of time for digging today, and "Creatures" is understandably not a particularly useful keyword when trying to Google for results, but the gist of it was that Creatures attempted to model actual genetics, biochemistry, and living neural networks in their titular creatures; including concepts of "pain" and "pleasure" for the sake of developing natural avoidant and attractive behavior. Or, rather, the simulation of it.

As such, and this being 1996 when the first game came out, Creatures had a vastly more complex and "lifelike" AI than most other programs on the market. This led to some controversy (which I believe may actually have been in part encouraged by the makers of the game, as a mode of marketing) about the ethics of owning and raising these creatures and potentially subjecting them to the simulated experiences of pain, fear, and stress.

I can't find any particularly good articles on the actual controversy or why people saw it as controversial right now, but here are a couple links on the game and its workings itself:

Short documentary on the first game

Wikipedia page

I believe they expanded upon the biochemistry and hormones systems in Creatures 3, which is how you end up with special Norn breeds that have digital DNA that causes them to exhibit things like associating pleasurable inputs with fear, or the equivalent of auto-brewery syndrome and being permanently drunk from birth.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11397 on: December 18, 2020, 05:48:08 am »

Your words give me transformice flashbacks. Ia ia, anvil god ftaghn!
To be fair, summoning an anvil god for noobs is a rite of passage. We are willing offerings before anvil gods

Though I fondly remember summoning an anvil god then totem summoning a balloon helicopter as noah's ark to escape. All aboard were spared the wrath of the glitchful one

Sometimes I think it's just the evil in the human heart coming out. The newb pwners are just a tamer version of it. They share the same affliction as the bullies in the schoolyard beating up the little kids for laughs, the wife beaters that get off on their lovers suffering, the kings who lust after the misery of the peasants, it's a species wide psychosis we recognize in people of all walks of life from all cultures, beginning in adolescence and only becomes more effectively hidden or justified to cultural norms with age, but never lessens. Why pwn newbs? Why be evil?

Apparently it's hilarious or something, infected youths often laugh while theyre doing it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wonder if you could use evolutionary game theory to determine why you see divergent attitudes in multiplayer games; between those who are always cooperative (PvE / CoOp), those who cooperate when their interests align (opportunists), those who are competitive with peers and cooperatives with noobs (honourable Zezimas), those who are always cooperative with just a few high trust partners (Methuselahs), those who feign cooperation and always betray (trusty Patches), those who never cooperate (competitors), and those who only compete when they outclass the enemy (noob pwners, pkers and hackers).

See, I enjoy being horrible in video games, it’s usually just to AI characters rather than other players.

Except in Fall Guys. I am horrible in some of the games in that.
Fall guys, among us, monopoly - some games just demand that you collect the wages of sin and flop everyone to death

*EDIT
Quote from: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30988   (types of diplomacy player)
WIEBLS
WIEBLS (Pronounced Weebles but stands for “Winning Isn’t Everything But Losing Sucks”). They want to win at all costs. They first work out how the scoring works for the Zine. Then they look for ways to exploit the scoring system. Their goal is to be number one in the ladder. The only way they have fun is by getting to number one. They are not interested in talking, having fun and endless negotiations. They just want to win. They have no clue that the other players are human beings and they don’t care about anything but themselves.

Role-player
They really want to play the game as if they were the leader of one of the countries. They would like to dominate Europe, but sharing power with others is OK as well. They will do anything to survive. They will do things that others would call cheating if it was something that might happen in 1900. They consider other things as cheating just because it doesn’t fit the roleplaying aspect. The WIEBLS and Role Players have a hard time understanding each other.
Basically describes the difference in playstyles between Hoi4 players and CK2 players
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 06:00:03 am by Loud Whispers »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11398 on: December 18, 2020, 07:10:53 am »

Dream thing, but it was good for a laugh when mostly useless support character got an upgrade, took a risk on declaring the main protag's unknown boss as their patron (the other options had substantial problems that would have rendered them even more useless, heh), and ends up with a starting ability called "Satan, don't eat my soul".

Turned out the unknown figure that was bankrolling the party to fight its way through the legions of heaven and hell and kill the devil was the devil, ha. Apparently wanted to get killed so some kind of seal could get broken, allowing them to resurrect and reclaim hell or somethin' like that. Party leader goes into immediate denial, too, it was pretty great :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11399 on: December 18, 2020, 10:24:54 am »

https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1339741387118526465

Edit: I know the difference between an image and a link.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 04:59:38 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 758 759 [760] 761 762 ... 879