Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1547863 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 1223237 views lol
« Reply #12165 on: January 30, 2022, 06:25:20 pm »

Hey now, we've got ü in our alphabets, just not the normal one. English claims all the accent marks on all the letters, plus extra letters like that mashed up ae, we just keep them in a back pocket and never use them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: January 30, 2022, 07:28:39 pm »

I triple-taked when I saw this. Definitely not a cover I was expecting to see in currentyear.

I just have to say, when the world seems grim, we have the bright gems that pop up - I never knew I was missing "German medieval folk metal" in my life!  8)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: January 31, 2022, 04:11:41 am »

RE: Turkey/Türkiye... While I normally wouldn't care much about that other than thinking the decision was something of a novelty (unlike, but related to, the tragedy of Fucking/Fugging), and shouldn't really care much about it, the fact that Erdogan's apparently the one pushing this move makes me feel an immediate urge to mock it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: January 31, 2022, 05:14:15 am »

Careful though, don't go on holidays to Turkey after posting that.
Every year, 10s of thousands of people have to appear before court for 'insulting the president'. Thousands of them are actually convicted every year, and need to do some prison time and/or pay enormous amounts of fines.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: January 31, 2022, 05:21:35 am »

Careful though, don't go on holidays to Turkey after posting that.
Every year, 10s of thousands of people have to appear before court for 'insulting the president'. Thousands of them are actually convicted every year, and need to do some prison time and/or pay enormous amounts of fines.

Heh.

Cries in Turkish
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: January 31, 2022, 05:25:47 am »

I am not joking. Perhaps your own Turkish media doesn't tell you about it with all the censorship and imprisoned journalists, but our media does report on it.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/erdogan-gaat-harder-optreden-tegen-schadelijke-inhoud-turkse-media~bbb44ba7/

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: January 31, 2022, 06:22:02 am »

Erdogan has decided to change the name for his country from Turkey to Türkiye, because he didn't like that his country was laughed at for being thanksgiving dinner.
Products for export will no longer have a "Made in Turkey" stamp, but a "Made in Türkiye", and Erdogan would like english speaking media and diplomats to use the new name henceforth.

To be fair, it was always Türkiye. At first the name was English-ised as "Turkei", but then changed into "Turkey", for some reason, and it stuck.

I don't really care either way. But he could instead requested that it was made Turkei so you guys wouldn't have to pronounce a letter that you don't have in your alphabets. That being "ü".

Just pronounce the -i- like the one in "importance", and -ye like the first part of "yeah". That should do it.

Different languages call things different things, especially countries. Sweden isn't called Sweden in Swedish and it's certainly not called İsveç (which I just looked up on google translate (it's Sweden in Turkish according to it)).

I get inordinately upset whenever people try to get all controlling of other people's languages. It ain't their place.

Turkeys, the birds, are called that because of the historical influences of Turkey on the English language and culture (and on Europe in general I guess). The name passed to turkeys when they were encountered in America because of their resemblance to another chicken-bird species imported through Turkey (Ottoman Empire) to England/Europe and as such called the "Turkish Chicken".

It's kinda as if Sweden would be upset that English call the swede swedes when the reason they do so is a form of recognition of the impact of the Swedish nation on their culture. To me who loves languages and history this is something to be happy over and find joy in, even if it is just a stupid ugly rootfruit.
Love, scriver~

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: January 31, 2022, 06:50:40 am »

I am not joking. Perhaps your own Turkish media doesn't tell you about it with all the censorship and imprisoned journalists, but our media does report on it.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/erdogan-gaat-harder-optreden-tegen-schadelijke-inhoud-turkse-media~bbb44ba7/

I know, I know. Thats why I cry in Turkish.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: January 31, 2022, 06:54:10 am »

Oh sorry I misunderstood. Apologies.

EDIT: It's such a shame, really. Turkey was doing so well on the human rights / freedom of press department before Erdogan came to power, and even the first few years of his rule that still was the case. Everything went downhill fast after that failed coup (if it was real, and not a false flag operation to secure more power for Erdogan).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 07:36:30 am by martinuzz »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #12174 on: January 31, 2022, 10:32:06 am »

It’s funny, how the WTF thread can be about mac and cheese and the laugh thread about the decline of Turkey due to Erdogan.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: January 31, 2022, 10:41:47 am »

It's not a laughing matter at all!

it's the best thing about this forum :)
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: February 01, 2022, 06:12:34 am »

It's not the conspiracy nutters that are raging against 5G now. It's science (and the US air safety authority).
5G towers near airports are causing trouble for landing aircraft in the US, interfering with their altimeters.
Aircraft in the US are no longer allowed to land at several airports when visibility is low, and passengers need to turn off their mobile phones when flying.

The EU says there are no such problems to be expected in Europe, because we left a wide gap between the frequency used by 5G and the ones used by aircraft instruments. France doesn't trust that though, and has ordered the 5G towers near 17 airports to be removed.

Gonna be an expensive joke. Either redesign 5G to use a different frequency and give all towers new antennae to match, or ground all airplanes until they are refitted with new instruments.

5G providers are already pointing fingers at the air companies, saying they had plenty of time to prepare their aircraft for interference, saying they paid 81 billion dollars at government auction for the 5G frequency, and don't want to wait long with turning on their networks and start earning that money back.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 06:17:59 am by martinuzz »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: February 01, 2022, 07:24:36 am »

You see?! That is why airplanes should not be vaccined!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: February 01, 2022, 07:55:56 am »

oh hey, the thing piles of people thought was likely to happen, happened
who would have thunk it, the consequences of their actions :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: February 02, 2022, 05:51:34 pm »

This is certainly the doing of the The Big Gay™! They are adding frequencies to the towers that turn the friggin planes gay!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 879