Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1543219 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 8076 guffaws and counting
« Reply #7890 on: October 17, 2017, 02:05:09 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bonds thing. That was surprisingly ethical of them, considering all the microtransaction crap they pulled right before the RS3 transition :v

That community though, you are spot on about the 90% sweaty neckbeards thing. I distinctly remember hearing about how a few months back there was a pretty small gay pride event one of the developers wanted to throw in, where you'd visit a few spots around the world and when you finished you got a free rainbow-colored scarf. Before the event even started, the userbase threw a bloody fit over it; people were holding mock KKK rallies and shit in Falador and Varrock, spouting all kinds of terrible stuff.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: October 17, 2017, 02:09:40 pm »

Coming off the terrified thread, and the surprisingly tame description of fluoride that bloop_bleep made up, I went and re-read this about one of the more energetic compounds you can make out of it:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja00893a004

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And record how hot it got. And then do it again, but more slowly.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:16:00 pm by Trekkin »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: October 17, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »

I remember there was a Sci-Show YouTube video about the world's most dangerous chemicals, including "chlorine trifluoride," which apparently even the Nazis dismissed as too crazy. It's even worse than the chemical you linked.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: October 17, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »

ClF3~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:55 pm »

I remember there was a Sci-Show YouTube video about the world's most dangerous chemicals, including "chlorine trifluoride," which apparently even the Nazis dismissed as too crazy. It's even worse than the chemical you linked.

Not necessarily, although if you actually want to have this argument you're going to have to define "worse" in chemically meaningful terms rather than a bunch of popsci factoids. Chlorine trifluoride can be handled at room temperature. Dihydrogen difluoride cannot; if you read the paper I linked, the long series of vigorous explosions all occurred at cryogenic temperatures. You can read in that link a report of a one-ton spill of ClF3; there has never been one ton of FOOF in existence at any one time. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:04:02 pm by Trekkin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: October 17, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bonds thing. That was surprisingly ethical of them, considering all the microtransaction crap they pulled right before the RS3 transition :v

That community though, you are spot on about the 90% sweaty neckbeards thing. I distinctly remember hearing about how a few months back there was a pretty small gay pride event one of the developers wanted to throw in, where you'd visit a few spots around the world and when you finished you got a free rainbow-colored scarf. Before the event even started, the userbase threw a bloody fit over it; people were holding mock KKK rallies and shit in Falador and Varrock, spouting all kinds of terrible stuff.

Not even that so much as the efficiencyscape types, the ones who constantly vote for new shallow and OP content so that they can mindlessly grind to 200m exp in everything even faster. The ones who voted to make the d kite and d plate require d sq and d chain to smith, but to not have any quest requirements to equip (never mind that the d sq itself does). There's ~15-20% of us who are in favor of a game that actually feels like pre-'07 RS, but with the way polling works it's just an endless stream of crappy content to make the leaderboard chasers and merchers happy.

I only restarted a couple weeks ago, so all I heard about that thing with the gay pride thing was people on the subreddit making fun of the rioters for being morons and the jmod for being dumb enough to try to insert currentyear social politics into a game with this sort of demographic spread.

--

That aside, I think I'm going to keep my character female, 'cause it's really fucking funny. Some guy ran up while I was doing a blue drag task in the Heroes Guild basement, and instead of hopping like normal to look for an empty world, he tried to strike up a conversation. I said "yo" back, he says "speak english pls". So I say "no habla ingles" and start insulting him in broken Spanish--and mind, mutual piss-taking is basically the universal language at grind spots, that's how I've made half my friends. Instead of shooting back, he tries to be nice to me in Spanish about as bad as mine. I messed with him for a while longer until he gave up and hopped.

It was one thing when most of the players were in the 8-15 age bracket, but this is something else. Another point on the list pointing to a playerbase full of sweaty neckbeard manchildren? :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: October 17, 2017, 06:05:20 pm »

To be honest, I'm not down with devs of a game forcing their politics into the game, even if it's politics I agree with. I'm all down with gay rights, and just voted yes in the gay marriage plebicite in Australia. But I'm not down with injecting the activist messaging into every media. Supporting the activist messaging isn't the same thing as supporting the people the activists claimn to represent. The "gay pride movement" is a specific political movement, it's not "gay people" themselves. e.g. you can say you don't like their tactics or their messaging is intrusive, and that does not imply you "hate gay people". It's not really that far off from a "but think of the children" argument.

It doesn't matter if it's a "small event". e.g. you could have an event where you beat up women and get the wife-beater badge. That wouldn't be any less intrusive into the game if it was a "small event" at a "a few spots". And the thing is, gay pride events are ok because they're coded as "moral". But there's no agreement on what "moral" means. If there was a Christian dev who tried to shoe-horn an explicit Jesus parable into the game then there would be an equal outpouring. And the Christian dev certainly believed they were just promoting moral truth.

I also know at least one gay person who's confided to me that they absolutely hate the whole gay pride march thing because of the public image it represents of what gay people are all about. This guy was more of a mainstream type. Why should we assume that the radical left activist gays are the only gays and that they "own" the issue, by fiat? Your position on the political spectrum is actually highly correlated with what neuroscience knows about brain chemistry, and it's definitely possible that gays aren't in fact any more innately likely to be liberals than anyone else. Perhaps the bulk of the gay population aren't being adequately represented by the current gay pride movement.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:18:45 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: October 17, 2017, 06:35:26 pm »

I'd say we have ample evidence that gayness doesn't correspond to "leftism", given the number of conservative Christian politicians who've been caught soliciting gay sex, hiring rentboys, &c. alone.

Though frankly this is part of why the authoritarian-libertarian + economic left-right plane is a better metric than the fairly arbitrary and issue-oriented "left" and "right" descriptors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: October 17, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »

I also know at least one gay person who's confided to me that they absolutely hate the whole gay pride march thing because of the public image it represents of what gay people are all about. This guy was more of a mainstream type. Why should we assume that the radical left activist gays are the only gays and that they "own" the issue, by fiat? Your position on the political spectrum is actually highly correlated with what neuroscience knows about brain chemistry, and it's definitely possible that gays aren't in fact any more innately likely to be liberals than anyone else. Perhaps the bulk of the gay population aren't being adequately represented by the current gay pride movement.
I'm pretty sure there's an image online that brings up why it's flawed. Crudely, but accurate, I guess.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: October 17, 2017, 07:10:58 pm »

Please not in the laugh thread :P

Though really what you're missing is...

Edit:
Tofu Ostrich Egg is not what you think.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:57:28 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: October 17, 2017, 08:25:38 pm »

Please not in the laugh thread :P

Though really what you're missing is...

Edit:
Tofu Ostrich Egg is not what you think.
Wait, I'm in the laugh thread?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: October 17, 2017, 08:38:07 pm »

...You made me check like 2 more times to be sure!
My request wasn't aimed at anyone in particular BTW.

Oh uh to stay on-topic myself, random bit someone posted on DND night:
Quote from: some reddit post
> I asked a guest at my table to build a character before he arrived at my house. The only stipulation I gave him was that it was a low magic setting and he shouldn't bring a caster. He brought a warlock who used a fidget spinner as a casting implement and claimed the character was using tech to create magical effects (which would be an acceptable refluff if he did it appropriately). First time he cast Fireball he described it as "gears appear in midair and shoot a fireball at [enemy]."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: October 17, 2017, 10:29:19 pm »

America man!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: October 17, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »

Somebody takes internet comments way too seriously...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 879