Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1546045 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 8900 chortles and counting
« Reply #8940 on: July 21, 2018, 02:33:57 pm »

I tend not to post in threads I'm unwilling to click on daily from new replies. It tends not to get to the second page.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: July 22, 2018, 12:31:51 am »

I absolutely have to go to page 2 of my unread topics to see some things.  There are absolutely threads I don't chime in and post once to because I know I'll be seeing it forever.

.. I do have a greasemonkey script that removes unwanted b12 threads from the unread ones automatically, pm me if interested.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: July 22, 2018, 12:47:26 am »

So, I was bad-translating paragraphs from Wikipedia through all languages and back to English in alphabetical order.

This:

"Certain languages with greater than 100 million speakers, such as Japanese, are not listed. Japanese, although considered to be one of the most significant languages internationally, along with the listed world languages, it is not considered a world language per se."

Turned into this:

"There are 100,000 people in Japan."

It was gradually losing meaning, before taking a downward dive after about 60% of the way.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: July 22, 2018, 04:31:39 am »

Actually, that seems accurate.

On a related note, there are only 7 people in China. /s

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: July 22, 2018, 04:50:11 am »

Fun fact: It was "Japan is 1000000" about 70% of the way. It weirdly started making sense later.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: July 22, 2018, 04:57:08 am »

So, I was bad-translating paragraphs from Wikipedia through all languages and back to English in alphabetical order.

This:

"Certain languages with greater than 100 million speakers, such as Japanese, are not listed. Japanese, although considered to be one of the most significant languages internationally, along with the listed world languages, it is not considered a world language per se."

Turned into this:

It was gradually losing meaning, before taking a downward dive after about 60% of the way.

I tried the same, but ended up with "millions of dollars in Japan". A similar nose-dive in meaning to what you wrote. Maybe I'd click a button differently here and there to you.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:07 am »

This:

Turned into this:

I tried the same, but ended up with "millions of dollars in Japan". A similar nose-dive in meaning to what you wrote. Maybe I'd click a button differently here and there to you.
Google Translate now uses a neural net, so results may differ. And did you translate back to English before picking another language?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: July 22, 2018, 07:17:26 am »

Yep, the process I used was to start with English on the left, then translate on the right to a new language. Then swap sides, so that it would translate the new thing back into English. Then swap sides again (putting the new English version on the left), and pick a new language on the right, rinse and repeat.

EDIT: doing it again the same way, I just get "Thousands live in Japan", seemingly avoiding the weird detour into dollars that happened last time. I guess "Thousands live in Japan" is technically accurate. The statement doesn't specify how many thousands.

EDIT2: attempting to do it in reverse-alphabetical. On the first pass, Zulu, there are already big divergences that didn't happen before:

Some languages with more than 100 million speakers, such as Japanese, are not written. Japanese, although regarded as one of the most important languages in the world, and the languages of the world, are not considered as a global language.

By Xhosa, it's become this:

In some languages, there are over millions of languages like Japanese, not written. Japanese, though one of the most important languages in the world, and the world's languages, does not read the whole world.

After Uzbek I have:

In some languages, more than a million languages are written in Japanese. Although he is not one of the world's most important languages in Japanese, he is studying the world.

There's a language in which they write over a million other languages in Japanese? That sounds like one to avoid learning. This is escalating much more quickly than the A-Z one! Stay tuned.

EDIT+: It ends on "It seems impossible in the world", having lost all reference to millions, then Japan, then languages.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:57:34 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: July 22, 2018, 09:21:52 am »

The original one contained "isn't a world, as a world us spoken by the world." Or something along these lines before losing sanity.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: July 22, 2018, 09:28:33 am »

I wonder what happens when you run the entire text of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or something of similar length through this process.

I think Google Translate doesn't allow you to translate more than 500 characters at once, but we could always split it up into 500-character chunks, translate them, and then concatenate them back together again. This might require some sort of script to do, however.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:58 am »

I wonder what happens when you run the entire text of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer or something of similar length through this process.

I think Google Translate doesn't allow you to translate more than 500 characters at once, but we could always split it up into 500-character chunks, translate them, and then concatenate them back together again. This might require some sort of script to do, however.

Bad-translating and wiki-surfing: A guide to entertaining wastes of time. Get really meta.
+1 for the use of concatenate.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: July 22, 2018, 10:37:53 am »

I want to run the entirety of Moby Dick through it. Repeatedly. Until it can't be more mangled. Might take half a day, but worth it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: July 22, 2018, 11:02:00 am »

1. Do it.
2. Read the result out loud. Record the reading.
3. Post it on Youtube.
4. Avoid demonitization and copyright strikes
5. ????
6. PROFIT!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: July 22, 2018, 11:14:28 am »

Moby Dick is public domain, so there's that.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: July 22, 2018, 01:48:00 pm »

I just learned you can do mounted sword combat on horses in skyrim, the funny part was when I A. Sent myself and my essential Shadowmere (mods are great) at high speeds off a dragon and then broke it in mid air for a bit (I already knew about launching yourself off a dragon on a horse, but I didn't do it like the ways I had seen, I kinda charged onto it and at some point managed to launch myself) and the time where I hit a wolf with my sword and instead of dying it got launched into the air and died on impact
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 879