Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 663

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting  (Read 538501 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #8970 on: August 05, 2018, 07:02:45 am »

Either that or it's summoning the spirit of microsoft sam going soi soi soi soi soi soi soi
It's a football hooligan :o

English, obviously
That, or it's just the backing track of T.N.T.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: August 05, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »

Why didn't you unplug your keyboard before cleaning it? Even if the soda didn't do immediate damage, the cleaning process can spread it around and risk damaging the device, and in the case of poorly-made electronics, you.
The soda poured inside the keyboard and I was trying to clean it ASAP by shoving tissue paper in between the keys.

I hardly think a USB keyboard is going to pose an electrical threat. Internet says USB is around 5 volts max.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:25:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. Was this inevitable (Y/y)?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: August 05, 2018, 07:29:42 pm »

IIRC amps are what kills you. 2 billion volts at .1 amp might fuck you up but 1 volt at 10 amps will kill you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: August 05, 2018, 08:04:23 pm »

I believe electricians are taught the 1-10-100 rule: 1mA you can feel, 10mA will hurt, 100mA will kill you.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: August 05, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »

IIRC amps are what kills you. 2 billion volts at .1 amp might fuck you up but 1 volt at 10 amps will kill you.

2 billion volts at .1 amp will kill you deader 'n shit sure as shootin, that's 200 megawatts of power surging through you, and .1 amps is definitely enough to get through the skin

the thing is, even amperage that is barely sufficient to get past the skin will kill you if voltage is high enough, it's not so simple as "amps kill"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: August 05, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »

Doesn't voltage determine if it will get through your skin? Tesla coils are high voltage, and that's what causes them to arc through air.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. Was this inevitable (Y/y)?

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #8976 on: August 05, 2018, 08:55:35 pm »

The main factors determining whether a shock is potentially lethal or not are a) the current path through the body, and b) how much the current is limited by the resistance of skin, tissue, and whatever else is in the circuit (I=V/R).
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMANSave ToolsWTF ToolsTweak for 0.31Ė34.xx

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: August 06, 2018, 12:29:15 am »

I remember hearing of some navy guy who tried to measure the voltage of the blood and such of a human body, so he stabbed himself with the detector he had been given, and then died from his heart stopping because of the electricty

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: August 06, 2018, 12:31:49 am »

I remember hearing of some navy guy who tried to measure the voltage of the blood and such of a human body, so he stabbed himself with the detector he had been given, and then died from his heart stopping because of the electricty
I'm not sure that story's real tho. My electrician uncle said a 9v battery like the one that powered the device in the story can't kill you like that.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:22 am »

From the Darwin Award page
How, you might ask, with only a 9V battery? Easy. One of the "rules of thumb" that the Navy teaches is the 1-10-100 rule of current. This rule states that 1mA of current through the human body can be felt, 10mA of current is sufficient to make muscles contract to the point where you cannot let go of a power source, and 100mA is sufficient to stop the heart. Let's look at Ohm's law. Ohm's law (for DC systems - I will not discuss AC here) is written as E=IR, where E is voltage in volts, I is current in Amps, and R is resistance in Ohms.

When we did the experiment in the electrical safety class to determine our body's resistance, we found a resistance of 500K Ohms. Using 9V and 500K Ohms in the equation, we come up with a current of 18 microAmps, below the "feel" threshold of 1mA. However, removing the insulation of skin from our curious sailor here, the resistance through the very good conducting electrolytes of the body is sharply lower. Around 100 ohms, in fact, resulting in a current of 90mA - sufficient to stop our sailor's heart and kill him.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:38 am »

I'm not sure that story's real tho. My electrician uncle said a 9v battery like the one that powered the device in the story can't kill you like that.

Blood is a much better conductor than your skin, and has the added benefit of going directly through the muscle that pumps it around the body.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: August 06, 2018, 01:05:42 am »

And then there's SS13, where handling an electrified grille with 360 megawatts going through it will give you not much more than a good spookin', and being directly hit by a lightning bolt can be resisted by wearing yellow gloves.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • D'yeh feel that stirrin', longfriends?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:21 am »

The fact that they are yellow is naturally more important than the actual material.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:58 am »

Blood is a much better conductor than your skin, and has the added benefit of going directly through the muscle that pumps it around the body.
Still, I suspect that he's received worse shocks, even with the blood factor. So, eh? He explained it much better than I do, given what he does.

The fact that they are yellow is naturally more important than the actual material.
Of course!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: August 06, 2018, 02:15:58 am »

Still, I suspect that he's received worse shocks, even with the blood factor. So, eh? He explained it much better than I do, given what he does.
Consider your basic electrical wire: Putting the prongs of a multimeter onto the rubber insulation on the outside of the wire is most likely not going to do a whole lot. However, connecting the prongs directly to the copper wire itself on the inside will give you a vastly different reading/effect.

But to be fair, I thought it sounded a bit far-fetched as well... I didn't realize that blood was that good of a conductor.

Which makes me wonder... Do squids/octopuses suffer more severely from electrical shocks, due to their blood being copper-based rather than iron-based? I guess electric types really do have an advantage against water types...
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 663