Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1547113 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9345 on: October 13, 2018, 04:01:38 pm »

That is People's Republic of China levels of censoring

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: October 13, 2018, 04:11:43 pm »

Yes, but does it censor

ꓘꓛꓲꓷ

?? :D

I mean, those nasty unicode ranges and all-- scandalous how one can arrange foreign characters!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: October 14, 2018, 05:48:36 am »

That is People's Republic of China levels of censoring

Either you’re right (As in, it’s the kind of thing the PRC would do), or you’re wrong (As in, it’s way beyond what the PRC would do).

I dunno which one is worse/more comical.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: October 18, 2018, 01:29:28 am »

Currently only Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari are supported. The web interface is built using Google Web Toolkit
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: October 18, 2018, 08:41:57 am »

Currently only Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari are supported. The web interface is built using Google Web Toolkit

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: October 21, 2018, 10:34:41 pm »

I finished the Dragon Age Origins DLC.

I thought the last one was kind of funny because my Warden didn't romance Morrigan or do the Dark Ritual, but was still friends with her and wasn't hostile to her.

It was like a whole DLC about how my character trekked back and forth across the continent to visit Morrigan on a whim.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: October 22, 2018, 01:52:24 am »

Road trip!
Love, scriver~

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: October 25, 2018, 06:21:01 am »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:53 pm »

Iunno if anyone here remembers me bitching about the many problems with the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, but the other day it did something that made me happy, and added the option to play the Japanese versions of the games. This is very good, since the Japanese version of Street Fighter II: Super Turbo is the only version where the AI isn't totally fucked. Today, the developers of the game posted on the Steam page for their game clarifying that this option had been meant exclusively for the Japanese version of the collection, and that it had been added to the American version by mistake, apologizing, and saying that they were looking into it.

You know that you're comically out of touch with your fanbase when you finally accidentally do something that makes them happy, and then apologize and say that you're "looking into it" as if their happiness is an issue that needs to be immediately rectified.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: October 25, 2018, 08:08:07 pm »

their happiness is an issue that needs to be immediately rectified.

So basically, the dev team has inadverdently behaved like some kind of dystopian society?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: October 26, 2018, 01:42:31 am »

Soul Calibur's new create-a-character is good for a few laughs. People are awful creative. And just plain awful.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 01:48:09 am by BlackFlyme »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: October 26, 2018, 02:02:01 am »

You know that you're comically out of touch with your fanbase when you finally accidentally do something that makes them happy, and then apologize and say that you're "looking into it" as if their happiness is an issue that needs to be immediately rectified.

There's a good explanation for that.

In Japan there's a huge arcade competitive fighting game culture, and since share houses are rare, arcade players are likely to buy the home version to practice for the arcades. So the Japanese consumer expects top-notch AI which provides the challenge of playing another human.

However, what does the average consumer in America want? Fighting games are party games you play with your buddies at home. And people who play them for single-player mode are not looking for "training" for arcades, they're looking for a fun and paced campaign experience. Almost all enemies need to be beatable by Joe Average in at most a few attempts, or people start to get frustrated by lack of progression.

Sure, a small proportion of masochists would like the amazingly-good AI but most people don't want good AI because constantly losing to the same enemy feels like shit, and people play games to feel good.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:35:30 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: October 26, 2018, 05:44:18 am »

As far as I’m aware the AI in SF can be modified in the options prior to play. I think, at least for SFII, the default was kind of in the middle between the easiest and hardest difficulty, on a scale of 1 (maybe 0) to 8.

I think 4 and below meant you didn’t get to fight the “boss” characters after defeating the 8 playable characters though, and I think 6 or higher got you a funky credits scene after finishing the game.

No idea about the anniversary edition, but Capcom aren’t exactly consumer-friendly these days.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:51 pm »

There's a good explanation for that.

In Japan there's a huge arcade competitive fighting game culture, and since share houses are rare, arcade players are likely to buy the home version to practice for the arcades. So the Japanese consumer expects top-notch AI which provides the challenge of playing another human.

However, what does the average consumer in America want? Fighting games are party games you play with your buddies at home. And people who play them for single-player mode are not looking for "training" for arcades, they're looking for a fun and paced campaign experience. Almost all enemies need to be beatable by Joe Average in at most a few attempts, or people start to get frustrated by lack of progression.

Sure, a small proportion of masochists would like the amazingly-good AI but most people don't want good AI because constantly losing to the same enemy feels like shit, and people play games to feel good.
I honestly have no idea what you're on about, but when I say that Super Turbo's AI is fucked, I mean that it's actually locked into the highest possible difficulty regardless of what setting it's actually on. Even if you set it to 1, it will be stuck on 8. This wouldn't be quite as big of an issue as it is if the AI didn't EXTREMELY blatantly cheat when on this difficulty. I tried it again just the other day and I experienced such fun things as

1: Guile charging up his moves instantly. Normally he has to charge for almost a full second before he can use a special move, but being able to instantly use them on reaction to anything makes him incredibly overpowered. I died to him more than the final boss and every other character put together. Also he can use flash kicks while standing up. He isn't the only character that can do this when controlled by the AI, but he's the worst example of it by a huge margin.

2: Dee Jay taking away over 50% of my life with one uppercut

3: Dhalsim oneshotting me with a throw (throws are unavoidable in super turbo btw)

4: Incessant button reading (oh you tried to attack? nah the AI just happened to magically hit you on the exact frame that you opened yourself up, git gud)

The Japanese version of the game does not have this issue, which is why people were pleased when they thought that they were giving the option to play that one instead. Even if the average American does have some kind of aversion to the not-shitty AI in the Japanese version, there was still the option to play on the American version. Them adding the extra versions to the game was probably the only time they'd ever actually done something objectively good that had pleased their players, and a day later they said "just kidding" and took the option away, to the joy of probably nobody.

There are still actual issues that have existed in the game since Day 1 that would have required practically zero effort to fix, and yet this gets "fixed" immediately. Third Strike had bugged audio on release, which caused stereo sounds to be played in the opposite channel that they were meant to. Fans found out that this was pretty much immediately fixed with a simple XML edit. However, in the next patch, this XML file was removed, with the devs claiming that the audio bug had been fixed (spoilers: it wasn't fixed. they just set the game to use mono sound instead)

I could write an entire full-length tragedy novel about the clusterfuck that is this collection and its release, but this post is getting too long so you get the idea.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 12:32:07 pm by IronTomato »
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 879