Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 878

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1530905 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9390 on: November 05, 2018, 11:28:51 pm »

According to my also-quick Google (as well as what I remember of my schooling) it is indeed incorrect. Also, yeah, I've been laughing at this for a while, but I came across an ad for the game earlier which reignited my amusement.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9391 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:15 pm »

Firstly, the fact that the creators of Call of Duty: Black Ops cannot even write roman numerals correctly, secondly... well, that might be a tad too offensive to laugh about at here. Suffice to say there's an outcry over it in the news across the pond. :))

The IV notation apparently didn't become the sole version of "roman" numerals until the 1200s. IIII and IV were both used by actual Romans throughout historical documents. (In fact, "M" for 1000 wasn't even a real Roman thing. It was concocted in the 16th century).

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/03/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-4-roman-numeral-correct-iiii-activision/

Using Roman Numerals is done for old-fashioned charm. IIII was the original notation, IV only came later. So, IIII is like extra old-fashioned.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:14:27 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9392 on: November 06, 2018, 01:29:22 am »

IIII would be correct by following and making sense by the established workings of the system anyway.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9393 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:27 am »

So it's the obsolete form of an already obsolete numeric system? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9394 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:41 am »

Idk about that. The IV system isn't obsolete, it's anachronistic in the same sense as vikings having horned helmets.

According to the article, “Often addition (IIII = 4) was preferred to subtraction (IV = 4). The subtraction notation - also called the subtractive notation, which is moderately cooler to say but I'll admit it's a squeaker - was not used exclusively until the 13th century, in fact - and it was not universally adopted in the Roman period. ('Exclusively' is not quite right either, of course - modern watchmakers in particular remain fond of IIII.)

So IV came in as shorthand in the Roman world, but it didn't even become used by everyone.

They're also right about watches. Google "watch roman numerals". it seems like 90% of watchmakers who use Roman numerals use IIII for 4. Here's the clock at Grand Central Station in New York as an example:

BTW: Here are the clocks at Flinder's Street Station, Melbourne

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:20:33 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9395 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:43 am »

Yeah, antique clocks are the one example of it being considered correct that showed up on Google, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9396 on: November 06, 2018, 03:49:19 am »

Also, consider who actually has the last laugh here. We're all sitting here talking about the new game Black Ops IIII, which we wouldn't be doing otherwise.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9398 on: November 06, 2018, 04:19:37 am »

My favorite numeral is LXIX.

Or LXVIIII, if you want to do it that way. I'm flexible.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9399 on: November 06, 2018, 05:52:41 am »

I could eat sweet rolls all my life.

That'd be fine with me.

Sweetroll theft is a very serious crime.
If that's the case, Leonard deserves capital punishment.
(Leonard is one of Gopher's latest playthrough of Skyrim.)
(Through the later half of the series, he steals every sweetroll he can get his hands on.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:54:21 am by Ultimuh »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: November 08, 2018, 06:26:52 pm »

Quote from: wikipedia
One can conservatively extend any theory including reals, including set theory, to include infinitesimals, just by adding a countably infinite list of axioms that assert that a number is smaller than 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and so on.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:21 pm »

Ah, yes, the infinitesimal. The piece that fits in the puzzle that is mathematics but can be left out of it. It's almost poetic how the smallest number is unnecessary for the big picture.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:26 pm »

Ah, yes, the infinitesimal. The piece that fits in the puzzle that is mathematics but can be left out of it. It's almost poetic how the smallest number is unnecessary for the big picture.

did you mean "necessary" instead of "unnecessary" here? I'm assuming that was a typo.

I wouldn't say infinitesimals are "unnecessary" because they're small. The entire theory of calculus depends on them - you only get the true value of dy/dx when the deltas become infinitesimally small, but still non-zero.

Sure, they're not "real" and there was a huge debate over their validity when they were introduced, but so was there over infinity, complex numbers, and higher infinities (Cantor). In fact, even irrational numbers were hotly debated as to whether they're "real", because you need infinite decimal points (i.e. infinitesimals) to define them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:39:27 pm by Reelya »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: November 08, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »

Infinitesimals can be used to rigorously create calculus, but this is a relatively recent approach referred to as non-standard analysis. The original formulation of calculus by Newton and Leibnitz (as well as Fermat's "adequation" method for taking derivatives) also used something similar to infinitesimals, but both acknowledged at the time that their approach wasn't rigorously proven. The "classical" way of proving the methods of calculus which is used today doesn't involve infinitesimals at all, it relies instead on epsilon-delta proofs of limits and convergence. Newton basically arrived at this latter way of thinking some time later, incidentally, but it wouldn't be formalized until the 19th century.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9404 on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:49 pm »

It's been a while since I took calculus, but I don't think you ever need to explicitly invoke infinitesimals to ground calculus. You just need limits, which are of the form "for any epsilon there exists a delta such that delta x-diff results in epsilon y-diff". That only ever mentions finite numbers, although the need to prove it for all finite numbers implicitly involves infinities.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 878