Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1547508 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9701 skittles and counting
« Reply #9780 on: April 28, 2019, 02:11:40 pm »

A bit if hilarity from Far Cry 2.

Did a convoy ambush mission for the gun dealer, which unlocks new weapons to buy. Ambush went flawlessly, an IED took out the truck and the lead jeep, and an RPG finished off the rear jeep. Then I went to the nearby outpost the convoy had passed through, and the first thing I see is a dead guy that the convoy had run over.

I sneak around, walk right into one of the guards, and shoot him in the head with my AK. Two guards nearby hear this. "What was that?" "Probably nothing." "Better go check it out." I sneak away before the pair comes by. They reach the guard I killed. "I guess it was nothing after all." Yes, finding one of your compatriots dead with a massive bullet wound in the head, after hearing the gunshot from very close range is really nothing at all.

I tried to sneak out of the base, but one of the guards must have seen me. However, they must not have gotten a clear enough look at me to get my position, and their AI, instead of shooting at/searching for me, went to "shoot goddamned everything". Immediately, flammable and explosive stuff in the outpost cook off, and the ensuing explosions and subsequent fire killed at least two of them(probably the guys who think a random dead guy is a normal occurrence*).

I shoot my way out, but an enemy jeep ahead of me drives right to the edge of a cliff. I take out the gunner, and find the driver had simply gotten out of the vehicle and collapsed dead. No explanation, and I certainly didn't shoot him.

Normally, the AI is better than this.
What difficulty was this on, what was the weather like and what was your infamy? Certain extreme weather conditions (heavy rain or high heat) significantly handicap the AI by limiting its intelligence or vision. Which can lead to hilarious shit in the right circumstances, where people may not notice you sneaking 5 meters in front of them and shooting their friends.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: April 28, 2019, 05:15:47 pm »

Reputation was 2, I think. Might have been 1 and gone up to 2 shortly after this, though, I can't remember. Weather was clear and day, and only other anomalous thing could be the distant brush fire from the destroyed convoy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: April 30, 2019, 09:48:42 am »

What I love most about those is that they're all made by different people, apparently the first guy spawned a whole musical genre.

Also mad props to guy that managed to edit that into Feel Good Inc. (fourth link)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: May 01, 2019, 02:37:54 pm »

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: May 02, 2019, 01:23:26 am »

My History teacher came up to the front of the class and said (translated, obviously):
Quote from: My History teacher quoting a dumb answer to a question
In the Dark Ages, people couldn't farm because Tonle Sap1 was dry.
1Tonle Sap is a lake in Cambodia.

That's wrong on so many levels, I just can't.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9786 on: May 02, 2019, 01:29:29 am »

I would say it is a cross-wired bit of information.

Little ice age == colder ambient temperatures and increased dryness == Rivers and lakes dry up == Cambodian lake thousands of miles away becomes dry.

This is not meant to imply that the dry lake in cambodia is causal to the increased dryness, rather the increased dryness caused both occurrences.  However, kids are kids, and who knows what they will take away from the information presented.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: May 02, 2019, 01:39:23 am »

Indeed, in England immediately preceding the 1349 arrival of Black Death they had the opposite problem - increased rainfall directly led to reduced crop yield.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: May 02, 2019, 01:40:49 am »

Based on what's taught in my country, the crosswired pieces of info were probably a) the Dark Ages were a generally bad time in Europe and b) Tonle Sap was important to this agrarian society, because fertile.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: May 02, 2019, 02:04:40 am »

The dark ages were indeed a generally bad time in Europe, but much of it was politically induced, rather than climatically or epidemically induced (but I am NOT discounting that the black death (in its many waves of occurrence) were not devastating!!).  Feudal lords and ladies wanted their privileges, even when the serfs died of starvation and plague, which lead to unnecessarily increased levels of suck for basically everyone. (If they had instead not focused on trying to squeeze blood out of turnips and trying to wage war on each other, and focused on keeping their countries alive through better distribution of raw materials, food rationing, the planting of alternative crops (like buckwheat, which has a short but vigorous growing season and is tolerant of cool) etc-- a good deal of the suck would have been mitigated.)

Then the church's position that it was a divine retribution for a great sin, coupled with witch hunting hysteria (and healers were often accused of witchcraft) did little to help matters.

Mostly, it is called the dark ages because of the rampant illiteracy, and low quality records that were kept.  What we DO know is that for the period in question (400 to 500 years worth of time), several plagues hit, there was agricultural failure, inter-kingdom strife, and the church had a raging hard-on for power-tripping.  Physical records in the forms of tree ring data suggests colder, drier temperature averages. 

« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 02:17:20 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: May 02, 2019, 03:01:26 am »

In the military, the battalion chaplain had a lecture where he talked about depression, trauma, combat fatigue, and what to do to help individuals in highly stressful situations. Putting a blanket around them, talking softly, things to check and ask about, that sort of thing...

One of the recommendations was to give the person something hot to drink, with the caveat that it should preferably not be coffee. He turned to the assembled soldiers and asked if anyone knew why you shouldn't give a stressed individual coffee when you're trying to calm them down.

Someone answered "Uhh... 'Cause it'll make them pee?"

The best part was that, with his position, he can't actually say "No, you idiot!", and has to more or less accept any answer given to him so as to not discourage people from speaking up. You could hear the gears turning in his head as he tried to work with that one.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: May 02, 2019, 03:07:44 am »

Caffeine *IS* a diuretic, and that is what causes coffee to make you have to void more--  So I would say "Yes! The Caffeine in coffee will make them less comfortable and need to pee, but it *also* causes increased anxiety. Caffeine is bad for people under duress, experiencing anxiety, or who are at their mental limits. Making them have to pee on top of its other effects on the body? Not a good mix."

Or something similar.

Both are true.

We don't need to derail with the additional that it causes stimulation of smooth muscle contractions (which is why it increase hypertension and other cardiac effects when a person is stressed), which also causes increased bowel motility and a raft of other effects. We can use those other "WTF?!" worthy effects people might know about to segue into the part we do want to get across-- It makes people who are hysterical even more hysterical, and can cause dangerous blood pressures.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: May 02, 2019, 10:18:40 am »

The dark ages were indeed a generally bad time in Europe, but much of it was politically induced, rather than climatically or epidemically induced (but I am NOT discounting that the black death (in its many waves of occurrence) were not devastating!!).  Feudal lords and ladies wanted their privileges, even when the serfs died of starvation and plague, which lead to unnecessarily increased levels of suck for basically everyone. (If they had instead not focused on trying to squeeze blood out of turnips and trying to wage war on each other, and focused on keeping their countries alive through better distribution of raw materials, food rationing, the planting of alternative crops (like buckwheat, which has a short but vigorous growing season and is tolerant of cool) etc-- a good deal of the suck would have been mitigated.)

Then the church's position that it was a divine retribution for a great sin, coupled with witch hunting hysteria (and healers were often accused of witchcraft) did little to help matters.

Mostly, it is called the dark ages because of the rampant illiteracy, and low quality records that were kept.  What we DO know is that for the period in question (400 to 500 years worth of time), several plagues hit, there was agricultural failure, inter-kingdom strife, and the church had a raging hard-on for power-tripping.  Physical records in the forms of tree ring data suggests colder, drier temperature averages. 
* Teneb puts on his medievalist hat

A "Dark Age" is any period in history of which we have very little records. It's "Dark" because we got way less of an idea as to what was going on than for other parts of our history. The medieval dark age, which is what people usually think of when they talk about the subject, went from roughly the 500s to the 900s.

Now with that out of the way, I need to clear out some things. First: it was actually not that sucky at all. Feudalism was still forming, so the number of nobles going on power trips was actually... really low. It was, in fact, probably the best period in history ever to be a peasant. Because most peasants were fucking free (less in England and northeast France). The term Villain originally meant a peasant who lived in villages and who, by definition, was free. It later got morphed into the current meaning because both nobles and burghers (meaning: city-dwelling merchant class; a Burgh is not a city, but a city's commercial district) resented that freedom. Nobles only started really gaining power after year 1k.

Wars were also pretty brief and small in scale, likewise for plagues who can't really spread very well if the population is spread out instead of concentrated. As for the Church... it was actually pretty chill before the Schism, and for quite a while after it. Witch-hunts, for instance, are NOT a Medieval thing, but a Modern one (I should note that english and english-derived historiography tends to merge the Modern era into the Medieval one, while french and french-based historiography does not. Brazil's own historiography is derived from the french one, so that's what I'm operating from), starting around the rise of Protestantism, which makes sense since most witch-hunts were organized by the protestants (the Catholics did do it too, just not as much). The Black Death also happened near the transition from Medieval to Modern, which is something to keep in mind. Remember that most healers were also usually priests during medieval times ("You should pray three times a day and then put on this poultice").

Medieval Europe was pretty ok to live in, as far as those things go.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: May 02, 2019, 10:21:31 am »

What about all those angry Vikings?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: May 02, 2019, 10:29:13 am »

What about all those angry Vikings?
Okay so here's the thing: The vikings didn't really have that much of an impact. But we hear a lot about them, right? Why is that?

Well, it's probably because they raided... England and northern France. Y'know, the two regions that pump out a lot of historiographical material when it comes to the period (Iberian peninsula also has a lot of stuff going on, recorded even, and is pretty cool, but gets snobbed because they're Europoor). So it gets blown out of proportion a bit. The vikings didn't have that much of an impact outside the shores of northern Europe, plus southern Italy + Sicily with the Normans. It's a lot about perception.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 879