Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1546968 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 7630 laugfs and counting
« Reply #7545 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:58 am »

I found a name tag here at work that says shoes, so I put it on my shoes. Simple moment of silliness that made me giggle intensely.

Madlads

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: June 22, 2017, 03:07:03 pm »

In MGS-verse, simple cardboard boxes are regarded as invaluable equipment, like towels in the hitchhiker's guide.

The bizarre thing?

There are delivery points for cardboard boxes.

The enemy (I assume, since no civilians are present) uses them with no questions. Even if they have seen the (various) cardboard box trick(s) before.

Also, you can't kick the clumps of mini-cardboard boxes to break them the way you can with wooden crates. This proves that the box is, and always will be, superior.
Its questionable why the military uses cardboard boxes at all.  Its a form of storage that resists neither fire nor weather.  That's even a gameplay point.

The being said the enemy has never seen cardboard box tricks before no matter how many times you do it.  Remember the first rule of soviet radio discipline: the cardboard box guy is ALWAYS pulling you leg.  It never actually moved, and anyone who admits otherwise will be sent to gulag.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:18 pm »

Its questionable why the military uses cardboard boxes at all.  Its a form of storage that resists neither fire nor weather.  That's even a gameplay point.
It's cheap.

And this is the military we're talking about.

Does the military really need any other reason? I mean, they have all the guns while civilians like us have a few guns at the best of times.

Also, the questionable radio SOP doesn't explain the African PFs. Then again, at least one African Warlord was willing to ask the Diamond Dogs to kill kids, so maybe not believing cardboard box tricks is a thing.

It also doesn't explain the alternate Diamond Dogs (the ones you visit for FOBs). Then again, it's never explained how you visit them (wormholes, sure, but how do those even get set up in enemy territory in the first place?)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:12 pm »

Sorry, fictional military.  I doubt a real occupation force would transport anything in cardboard :P
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: June 22, 2017, 10:37:08 pm »

It also doesn't explain the alternate Diamond Dogs (the ones you visit for FOBs). Then again, it's never explained how you visit them (wormholes, sure, but how do those even get set up in enemy territory in the first place?)
Because the flow of time is convoluted in this land.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: June 23, 2017, 05:18:43 am »

The other "Diamond Dogs" whose FOBs you attack are actually supposed to be other Private Forces(PFs) that have modeled themselves after Big Boss' organization. This includes building massive off-shore platforms as bases.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:09 am »

Had to share this one again, the weirdness of repeated Japanese characters in Google Translate:

"ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ ぐえ" = Please make sure to pick up yourself from the airport by e - mail.

... Ok I will do that ...

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: June 23, 2017, 11:45:16 am »

And that times two is "Please contact your nearest Sony dealer for assistance." Sounds more like an easter egg than anything else.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: June 23, 2017, 11:47:22 am »

It's not an easter egg, every possible permutation of these characters gives different weird shit. It's the result of them pointing deep learning algorithms at the data, which was texts and their translations, and it obviously got a large amount of hotel directions etc, because this specific sequence is full of fragments of that. We're giving the NN data outside the training set, so it's matching it to parts of the training set as best it can. Think textual version of Deep Dreams. e.g. the phrase you gave changes slightly the more characters you add or subtract.

you'll see what I mean if you enter the string ぐえ or えぐ into translate then keep pasting it again (with or without a space between each repeat give different sequences)

Basically every permutation of the characters give different shit. If it was "easter eggs" then they would have to have coded a table of trillions of combinations.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:56:37 am by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: June 23, 2017, 02:00:10 pm »

One of the disappointments of tech for me has been realizing that we aren't quite at babel fish yet.  I'd like to know what the Chinese person on the street thinks but any info there is going to be limited and filtered, by language barriers if nothing else.

Edit: shit this is the funny thread, um DECEAR EGG
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:01:48 pm by EnigmaticHat »

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: June 23, 2017, 02:16:33 pm »

Edit: shit this is the funny thread, um DECEAR EGG
GOOD GOOD LARGE
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: June 24, 2017, 05:27:35 pm »

It is, in a roundabout way, the true death of Dark Side Phil. that notable vampire
http://imgur.com/a/CQraJ
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: June 24, 2017, 10:10:24 pm »

Playing stellaris, i found a mountain range sized skeleton in one system and a giant turd-asteroid in another nearby system. My scientists tell me there was evidence of a dimensional gateway at the rear of the dead organism, they think it came from another dimension and died. I suspect it shit itself hard enough to launch a turd out of one system into another.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 879