Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 878

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1530554 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9030 on: August 06, 2018, 12:35:22 am »

From the Darwin Award page
How, you might ask, with only a 9V battery? Easy. One of the "rules of thumb" that the Navy teaches is the 1-10-100 rule of current. This rule states that 1mA of current through the human body can be felt, 10mA of current is sufficient to make muscles contract to the point where you cannot let go of a power source, and 100mA is sufficient to stop the heart. Let's look at Ohm's law. Ohm's law (for DC systems - I will not discuss AC here) is written as E=IR, where E is voltage in volts, I is current in Amps, and R is resistance in Ohms.

When we did the experiment in the electrical safety class to determine our body's resistance, we found a resistance of 500K Ohms. Using 9V and 500K Ohms in the equation, we come up with a current of 18 microAmps, below the "feel" threshold of 1mA. However, removing the insulation of skin from our curious sailor here, the resistance through the very good conducting electrolytes of the body is sharply lower. Around 100 ohms, in fact, resulting in a current of 90mA - sufficient to stop our sailor's heart and kill him.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: August 06, 2018, 12:54:38 am »

I remember hearing of some navy guy who tried to measure the voltage of the blood and such of a human body, so he stabbed himself with the detector he had been given, and then died from his heart stopping because of the electricty
I'm not sure that story's real tho. My electrician uncle said a 9v battery like the one that powered the device in the story can't kill you like that.

Blood is a much better conductor than your skin, and has the added benefit of going directly through the muscle that pumps it around the body.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: August 06, 2018, 01:05:42 am »

And then there's SS13, where handling an electrified grille with 360 megawatts going through it will give you not much more than a good spookin', and being directly hit by a lightning bolt can be resisted by wearing yellow gloves.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:21 am »

The fact that they are yellow is naturally more important than the actual material.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:58 am »

I remember hearing of some navy guy who tried to measure the voltage of the blood and such of a human body, so he stabbed himself with the detector he had been given, and then died from his heart stopping because of the electricty
I'm not sure that story's real tho. My electrician uncle said a 9v battery like the one that powered the device in the story can't kill you like that.

Blood is a much better conductor than your skin, and has the added benefit of going directly through the muscle that pumps it around the body.
Still, I suspect that he's received worse shocks, even with the blood factor. So, eh? He explained it much better than I do, given what he does.

The fact that they are yellow is naturally more important than the actual material.
Of course!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: August 06, 2018, 02:15:58 am »

Still, I suspect that he's received worse shocks, even with the blood factor. So, eh? He explained it much better than I do, given what he does.
Consider your basic electrical wire: Putting the prongs of a multimeter onto the rubber insulation on the outside of the wire is most likely not going to do a whole lot. However, connecting the prongs directly to the copper wire itself on the inside will give you a vastly different reading/effect.

But to be fair, I thought it sounded a bit far-fetched as well... I didn't realize that blood was that good of a conductor.

Which makes me wonder... Do squids/octopuses suffer more severely from electrical shocks, due to their blood being copper-based rather than iron-based? I guess electric types really do have an advantage against water types...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: August 06, 2018, 05:16:44 am »

No. They appear as "insulated gloves" if you color them yellow, but they do not insulate if you just colored them yellow. I learned it the hard way when someone gave me "free insulateds". I was low on health and went into crit and died. Trolling at its finest.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: August 06, 2018, 05:56:11 am »

No. They appear as "insulated gloves" if you color them yellow, but they do not insulate if you just colored them yellow. I learned it the hard way when someone gave me "free insulateds". I was low on health and went into crit and died. Trolling at its finest.
[/joke]

You can also recolor insulateds to hide the fact that you're running around with insulated gloves. I was a bit of a derp though, and picked red for my first time doing this. Red has special flavor text where they come out as "red insulated gloves", rather than actually hiding anything.

And there are of course other gloves that are naturally different colors and that insulate against electric shocks just as well as the traditional yellows. Doesn't change the fact that getting hit by a mid-air electrical arc should in no way be less damaging just because you're wearing rubber hand protection.

...how the hell does grounding even work on a space station anyways?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: August 06, 2018, 06:38:53 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: August 06, 2018, 06:42:53 am »

[/joke]

You can also recolor insulateds to hide the fact that you're running around with insulated gloves. I was a bit of a derp though, and picked red for my first time doing this. Red has special flavor text where they come out as "red insulated gloves", rather than actually hiding anything.

And there are of course other gloves that are naturally different colors and that insulate against electric shocks just as well as the traditional yellows. Doesn't change the fact that getting hit by a mid-air electrical arc should in no way be less damaging just because you're wearing rubber hand protection.

...how the hell does grounding even work on a space station anyways?
When I was playing a purple lizardperson, I colored the gloves purple and nobody noticed because they had the same color as my hands. SS13 is full of little tricks like that.

I also had fun hiding banana peels under large and innocuous items such as fire extinguishers and toolboxes. People didn't notice the peels until they slipped.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: August 06, 2018, 07:29:30 am »

Try and get your hands on some 0 potency banana peels. They're absolutely miniscule, so you can hide them under nothing more than a sheet of paper. Additionally, since the slip power is determined by potency, the slip they provide is so weak that the person never actually falls down... But it does play the sound and anyone walking over the peel will immediately hurl whatever they're holding out in front of them as if they had slipped.

EDIT: Actually relevant to the thread:
Quote from: Those who know, know
Kronar's blade sang! Not a catchy tune, but it got stuck in a few peoples' heads.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: August 06, 2018, 06:34:02 pm »

Somebody necro'ed an old thread, and the image doesn't display anymore:

Fix is in place:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks, I see why people come to these forums for help now.

Gee, thanks for your "help". :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: August 06, 2018, 07:01:10 pm »

EDIT: Actually relevant to the thread:
Quote from: Those who know, know
Kronar's blade sang! Not a catchy tune, but it got stuck in a few peoples' heads.
๋Jellena better ready her axe 'cause she got competition.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: August 07, 2018, 03:34:16 am »

Somebody necro'ed an old thread, and the image doesn't display anymore:

Fix is in place:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks, I see why people come to these forums for help now.

Gee, thanks for your "help". :P
Reminds me of the time in India when I met a hammer.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 878