Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting  (Read 449692 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9645 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:26 pm »

Ah, yes, the infinitesimal. The piece that fits in the puzzle that is mathematics but can be left out of it. It's almost poetic how the smallest number is unnecessary for the big picture.

did you mean "necessary" instead of "unnecessary" here? I'm assuming that was a typo.

I wouldn't say infinitesimals are "unnecessary" because they're small. The entire theory of calculus depends on them - you only get the true value of dy/dx when the deltas become infinitesimally small, but still non-zero.

Sure, they're not "real" and there was a huge debate over their validity when they were introduced, but so was there over infinity, complex numbers, and higher infinities (Cantor). In fact, even irrational numbers were hotly debated as to whether they're "real", because you need infinite decimal points (i.e. infinitesimals) to define them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:39:27 pm by Reelya »

UrbanGiraffe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: November 08, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »

Infinitesimals can be used to rigorously create calculus, but this is a relatively recent approach referred to as non-standard analysis. The original formulation of calculus by Newton and Leibnitz (as well as Fermat's "adequation" method for taking derivatives) also used something similar to infinitesimals, but both acknowledged at the time that their approach wasn't rigorously proven. The "classical" way of proving the methods of calculus which is used today doesn't involve infinitesimals at all, it relies instead on epsilon-delta proofs of limits and convergence. Newton basically arrived at this latter way of thinking some time later, incidentally, but it wouldn't be formalized until the 19th century.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9647 on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:49 pm »

It's been a while since I took calculus, but I don't think you ever need to explicitly invoke infinitesimals to ground calculus. You just need limits, which are of the form "for any epsilon there exists a delta such that delta x-diff results in epsilon y-diff". That only ever mentions finite numbers, although the need to prove it for all finite numbers implicitly involves infinities.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:44 pm »

Explicitly invoking the concept isn't necessary. According to many sources, they're still as the heart of things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(infinitesimal)

The term differential is used in calculus to refer to an infinitesimal (infinitely small) change in some varying quantity. For example, if x is a variable, then a change in the value of x is often denoted Δx (pronounced delta x). The differential dx represents an infinitely small change in the variable x.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mathematics)

In mathematics, differential refers to infinitesimal differences or to the derivatives of functions.[1] The term is used in various branches of mathematics such as calculus, differential geometry, algebraic geometry and algebraic topology.

You don't have to use the word infintisemal, but deltas are smaller than any possible finite number, but still greater than zero. While the concept has been played with back and forth, and variously rejected and accepted again for 2500 years, the point is that the concept is used, even if they try and disguise their use in different language.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:58:22 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • well, I wanna be the hunter, not the hunted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47:40 pm »

You need to put [url] tags around those links, mate.
Ever cleaned a leopard? They're filthy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: November 08, 2018, 11:57:37 pm »

Ah yeah, I forgot about smf's issue with ending parentheses.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • One two three, DEATH!
    • View Profile
Steam: Ultimuh
Kongregate: Ultimuh
Guns Of Icarus: Uriel Ultim
World Of Tanks (eu): Ultimuh
War Thunder: Ultimuh
FFXIV A REALM REBORN: Uriel Ultim (Cereberus) Kurinrin Krillinlin (Leviathan)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9653 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »

Reading through the wiki, I found this gem in Mosquito Man:

Curiously, mosquito men will occasionally visit your fort in caravans. However, they have only been observed to offer one human doctor, two human bandits, and one human wearing a steel mask with high physical attributes. While you have to buy the doctor, there is no charge for the other three.
Contrary to popular belief, mosquito men are quite small.
IF I GRASPED YOUR MASK WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND RETAINED IT WOULD YOU DIE

It would extremely painful

You're a gigantic guy with incredible muscles

4 U

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: November 10, 2018, 10:19:04 pm »

Oh man why couldn't I see before. It's suddenly all so clear:

https://read.dukeupress.edu/the-minnesota-review/article-abstract/2017/88/69/28590/Assembled-BodiesReconfiguring-Quantum-Identities

In this semimanifesto, I approach how understandings of quantum physics and cyborgian bodies can (or always already do) ally with feminist anti-oppression practices long in use. The idea of the body (whether biological, social, or of work) is not stagnant, and new materialist feminisms help to recognize how multiple phenomena work together to behave in what can become legible at any given moment as a body. By utilizing the materiality of conceptions about connectivity often thought to be merely theoretical, by taking a critical look at the noncentralized and multiple movements of quantum physics, and by dehierarchizing the necessity of linear bodies through time, it becomes possible to reconfigure structures of value, longevity, and subjectivity in ways explicitly aligned with anti-oppression practices and identity politics. Combining intersectionality and quantum physics can provide for differing perspectives on organizing practices long used by marginalized people, for enabling apparatuses that allow for new possibilities of safer spaces, and for practices of accountability.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9655 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:19 pm »

To simplify a wordy precis: I used quantum physics as a metaphor to discuss intersectional feminism
It's a pretty gold mine to just slap [ idpol ] next to [ discipline ]
*Rolls rng*
Feminist glaciology

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:19 pm »

Christ almighty why do academics have to make things so complicated.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Did you know we have a mafia subforum? Check it out!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9657 on: November 11, 2018, 12:36:17 am »

Academia: You are the solution, create the problem

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: November 11, 2018, 05:22:39 am »

Isn't that one of the fake papers those three peeps wrote up to test how many social politics papers were simply published without review? I'm pretty sure it is, along with one of the ones that got removed later, the one making an argument that fantasizing about someone while masturbating is an act of rape.

So, yeah, specifically written to make fun of whatever sad sack publisher actually puts the paper out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: November 11, 2018, 05:29:13 am »

It's not actually. The one I linked is legit.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/hoax-or-not-a-hoax-new-paper-on-how-intersectional-quantum-feminisms-fight-the-oppression-of-newtonian-physics/

This paper appears to be real. Whitney Stark, is at the Institute for LGB Studies at the University of Arizona
https://lgbt.arizona.edu/somatechnics-researcher/whitney-stark

However, it's not that surprising. In order for the hoax papers to pass muster, the real papers must be equally bullshit.

The funniest bit from her paper is this:

Theory is often conceived as inaccessible, thus for small, privileged audiences. I agree vehemently with critiques of inaccessibility, banal depoliticization, and academic elitism

... that's after 10 pages of jargon that only postmodernist gender studies graduates can understand. She's having an attack on making things "inaccessible" that mainstream science supposedly does.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:38:01 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646