Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 878

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1530892 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9405 on: November 08, 2018, 11:40:44 pm »

Explicitly invoking the concept isn't necessary. According to many sources, they're still as the heart of things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(infinitesimal)

The term differential is used in calculus to refer to an infinitesimal (infinitely small) change in some varying quantity. For example, if x is a variable, then a change in the value of x is often denoted Δx (pronounced delta x). The differential dx represents an infinitely small change in the variable x.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mathematics)

In mathematics, differential refers to infinitesimal differences or to the derivatives of functions.[1] The term is used in various branches of mathematics such as calculus, differential geometry, algebraic geometry and algebraic topology.

You don't have to use the word infintisemal, but deltas are smaller than any possible finite number, but still greater than zero. While the concept has been played with back and forth, and variously rejected and accepted again for 2500 years, the point is that the concept is used, even if they try and disguise their use in different language.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:58:22 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47:40 pm »

You need to put [url] tags around those links, mate.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: November 08, 2018, 11:57:37 pm »

Ah yeah, I forgot about smf's issue with ending parentheses.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9410 on: November 10, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »

Reading through the wiki, I found this gem in Mosquito Man:

Curiously, mosquito men will occasionally visit your fort in caravans. However, they have only been observed to offer one human doctor, two human bandits, and one human wearing a steel mask with high physical attributes. While you have to buy the doctor, there is no charge for the other three.
Contrary to popular belief, mosquito men are quite small.
IF I GRASPED YOUR MASK WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND RETAINED IT WOULD YOU DIE

It would extremely painful

You're a gigantic guy with incredible muscles

4 U

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: November 10, 2018, 10:19:04 pm »

Oh man why couldn't I see before. It's suddenly all so clear:

https://read.dukeupress.edu/the-minnesota-review/article-abstract/2017/88/69/28590/Assembled-BodiesReconfiguring-Quantum-Identities

In this semimanifesto, I approach how understandings of quantum physics and cyborgian bodies can (or always already do) ally with feminist anti-oppression practices long in use. The idea of the body (whether biological, social, or of work) is not stagnant, and new materialist feminisms help to recognize how multiple phenomena work together to behave in what can become legible at any given moment as a body. By utilizing the materiality of conceptions about connectivity often thought to be merely theoretical, by taking a critical look at the noncentralized and multiple movements of quantum physics, and by dehierarchizing the necessity of linear bodies through time, it becomes possible to reconfigure structures of value, longevity, and subjectivity in ways explicitly aligned with anti-oppression practices and identity politics. Combining intersectionality and quantum physics can provide for differing perspectives on organizing practices long used by marginalized people, for enabling apparatuses that allow for new possibilities of safer spaces, and for practices of accountability.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9412 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:19 pm »

To simplify a wordy precis: I used quantum physics as a metaphor to discuss intersectional feminism
It's a pretty gold mine to just slap [ idpol ] next to [ discipline ]
*Rolls rng*
Feminist glaciology

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:19 pm »

Christ almighty why do academics have to make things so complicated.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9414 on: November 11, 2018, 12:36:17 am »

Academia: You are the solution, create the problem

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: November 11, 2018, 05:22:39 am »

Isn't that one of the fake papers those three peeps wrote up to test how many social politics papers were simply published without review? I'm pretty sure it is, along with one of the ones that got removed later, the one making an argument that fantasizing about someone while masturbating is an act of rape.

So, yeah, specifically written to make fun of whatever sad sack publisher actually puts the paper out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: November 11, 2018, 05:29:13 am »

It's not actually. The one I linked is legit.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2017/05/31/hoax-or-not-a-hoax-new-paper-on-how-intersectional-quantum-feminisms-fight-the-oppression-of-newtonian-physics/

This paper appears to be real. Whitney Stark, is at the Institute for LGB Studies at the University of Arizona
https://lgbt.arizona.edu/somatechnics-researcher/whitney-stark

However, it's not that surprising. In order for the hoax papers to pass muster, the real papers must be equally bullshit.

The funniest bit from her paper is this:

Theory is often conceived as inaccessible, thus for small, privileged audiences. I agree vehemently with critiques of inaccessibility, banal depoliticization, and academic elitism

... that's after 10 pages of jargon that only postmodernist gender studies graduates can understand. She's having an attack on making things "inaccessible" that mainstream science supposedly does.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 05:38:01 am by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: November 11, 2018, 05:30:22 am »

Reading through the wiki, I found this gem in Mosquito Man:

Curiously, mosquito men will occasionally visit your fort in caravans. However, they have only been observed to offer one human doctor, two human bandits, and one human wearing a steel mask with high physical attributes. While you have to buy the doctor, there is no charge for the other three.
Contrary to popular belief, mosquito men are quite small.
IF I GRASPED YOUR MASK WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND RETAINED IT WOULD YOU DIE

It would extremely painful

You're a gigantic guy with incredible muscles

4 U
The rail travel plan I just filed with the king lists me, my men, chief medical dwarf Bomrek Fingerdikes here, but only one of you! First one to yield gets to stay on my =Microcline minecart=
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: November 11, 2018, 05:53:52 am »

-snip-
Hmm, looks like she's got something of an "inaccessible" background herself... I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't another "ban white people from voting" story.

mosquito man
I have no idea what any of this is supposed to be a reference to.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9419 on: November 11, 2018, 06:04:13 am »

This heavily memed scene from The Dark Knight Rises. The phenomenon is known as Baneposting.

...if I remove this context, will you die?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 878