Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 878

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1530769 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9244 snickers and counting
« Reply #9420 on: November 11, 2018, 07:24:23 am »

-snip-
Hmm, looks like she's got something of an "inaccessible" background herself... I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't another "ban white people from voting" story.

If it was a fake of some sort, she wouldn't be listed on several university's faculty pages. Here's her linkedIn for a start:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/whitney-stark-a94923b

and the stuff I quoted was straight from the source journal, The Minnesota Review, which is a reputable academic journal. dukeupress.edu is a domain belonging to Duke University, which hosts The Minnesota Review. Trust me, this stuff is completely legit postmodernist stuff. The reason fakes like the Sokal paper manage to slip through is because most of the real stuff is actually exactly like it.

You just have to pick some random articles from Minnesota review:

https://read.dukeupress.edu/the-minnesota-review/article-abstract/2017/88/59/28581/Corpor-e-al-Cartographies-of-New?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Corpor(e)al Cartographies of New Materialism: Meeting the Elsewhere Halfway

This essay sketches cartographies of new materialism with reference to theoretical dynamics and transformations of the category of the body. By tracing interconnections between concepts of corporeality coined by Elizabeth Grosz, transcorporeality developed by Stacy Alaimo, and “viscous porosity” introduced by Nancy Tuana and referring to the philosophical work of Brian Massumi and Erin Manning and also to artistic work by Pinar Yoldas, this article introduces the concept of the body depicted as always gesturing toward what is beyond and more than a body and as intrinsically oriented toward its own “elsewhere.” This reconceptualization of the body proves its ability to “push dualisms to the extreme.”

I'm not even sure what their definition of the word "body" is meant to be.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:43:04 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9421 on: November 11, 2018, 09:51:13 am »

The rail travel plan I just filed with the king lists me, my men, chief medical dwarf Bomrek Fingerdikes here, but only one of you! First one to yield gets to stay on my =Microcline minecart=
Who sent you on a mission to kidnap Surgeon Pavel?
The flying iron bolt misses the human pikeman
He didn't fly so good! Who wants to try next? Tell me about the human Lord Bane Crashplanes, why does we wear the mask? A lot of loyalty for a hired sword!

Well perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man... Before throwing him out of a =Microcline minecart=

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: November 11, 2018, 10:08:56 am »

Best Wiki page ever

Some ethnic slurs are just... Hilarious. Granted they're awful and evil. But who the fuck calls someone a honkie or quashie without feeling ridiculous? Septic tank yank and Merikan are my favorite applicable to me.

... Ignorant racists I guess.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9423 on: November 11, 2018, 10:22:49 am »

Celestial?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: November 11, 2018, 10:33:49 am »

Best Wiki page ever

Some ethnic slurs are just... Hilarious. Granted they're awful and evil. But who the fuck calls someone a honkie or quashie without feeling ridiculous? Septic tank yank and Merikan are my favorite applicable to me.

... Ignorant racists I guess.
What did people think about the latest BAME appreciation party?

It was crackalackin'.

As for honkey/honkie, have some examples of its prime usage, IN GLORIOUS HD!!!!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: November 11, 2018, 10:41:25 am »

Celestial?

Somehow also a slur. Language is beautiful.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9426 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:07 am »

Somehow also a slur. Language is beautiful.
It just seems so passive aggressive. Imagine calling someone the 'greatest' sarcastically non-stop

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: November 11, 2018, 11:36:30 am »

I remembered that this was a thing that happened. You know we're living in the right era when we can botox our camel's lips.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: November 11, 2018, 04:33:41 pm »

Ah, saudi arabia. Where camels enter beauty pageants and women are treated like property. Truly a magical place.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:28 am »

Who names this shit?

I hope "heptanacci" isn't contagious

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: November 12, 2018, 01:31:51 am »

Who names this shit?

I hope "heptanacci" isn't contagious

you can really trick people with the "Enneanacci numbers"

0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 511, 1021, 2040, 4076, 8144, 16272

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »

Lewis Nickell playing word association (supposed to be playing with someone else, but his Tourette's is more than willing to play the game with him instead):

Nickell: "Puma"
Nickell's tics: "Fuckin' cheetah running up and down a field for a golfball!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: November 12, 2018, 10:20:07 pm »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Devlog
a human trading company called the Present Hall was wildly successful trading various leathers and bones for crafting, and eventually had enough clout to open a branch warehouse inside a dwarf fortress for the first time. Can't resist that draltha leather. This turned out to be a strategic error, as two short years later, a forgotten beast obliterated the fortress, the warehouse, and killed everyone inside. So, what's the correct response? Close the destroyed branch? No, no, you stimulate the (non-existent) economy by hiring local. Forgotten beast, you're the new (ruined) warehouse administrator, congratulations!  Those sorts of fixes were straightforward ...

"Forgotten Beast, I like the cut of your jib"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: November 13, 2018, 04:04:55 pm »

a human trading company called the Present Hall was wildly successful trading various leathers and bones for crafting, and eventually had enough clout to open a branch warehouse inside a dwarf fortress for the first time. Can't resist that draltha leather. This turned out to be a strategic error, as two short years later, a forgotten beast obliterated the fortress, the warehouse, and killed everyone inside. So, what's the correct response? Close the destroyed branch? No, no, you stimulate the (non-existent) economy by hiring local. Forgotten beast, you're the new (ruined) warehouse administrator, congratulations!  Those sorts of fixes were straightforward ...

A real go-getter
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: November 13, 2018, 04:43:10 pm »

A real gut-getter
FTFY.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 878