Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 878

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1530736 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9701 skittles and counting
« Reply #9720 on: March 27, 2019, 04:23:21 am »

Tell that to the people in my country. ROM, in the context of phones, is storage to them. It's entirely wrong, but it's too ingrained by now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9722 on: March 27, 2019, 12:15:31 pm »

ROM isn't storage, it's Read-Only Memory.

Well, read-only memory is persistent, is it not? So it would be "storage," just probably for firmware and not for user-level stuff.

And, technically, flash memory is considered read-only memory, or EEPROM in particular, despite that it can be erased and reprogrammed quickly enough for it to act as some manner of a replacement to a hard disk drive.

It is true that all of the phone's memory is random-access, though.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9723 on: March 27, 2019, 07:12:55 pm »

Electronic technicians here in Brazil refer to the firmware storage in PICs as ROM, even if it isn't exactly that, because it stuck from older chips. Maybe it is something like that?

In the end of the day it doesn't really matter what words you use as long as the meaning gets passed.

Unless you are a professional. Please use appropriate terminology, if I have to go trough one more drawer looking for the "fatty" capacitor another time I'll murder everyone in this room.
In a time before time, I had a name.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9724 on: March 27, 2019, 07:28:16 pm »

No, you are a fatty capacitor.

what’s a fatty capacitor does it help you store your ganj
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #9725 on: March 27, 2019, 07:30:12 pm »

what’s a fatty capacitor does it help you store your ganj
Don't let the magic smoke out!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9726 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:36 pm »

i don't really wanna use the capacitors with a little bit of a belly to them. a little bit of girth. that little dome

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9727 on: March 28, 2019, 03:22:46 am »

Apparently there's been a recent study indicating that 1 in 3 Norwegians under the age of 30 prefer to speak English when speaking with Danes, instead of trying to communicate using their very closely related sister languages.

This doesn't mean a whole lot for a non-Scandinavian, but I find it pretty hilarious. They also interviewed an Icelandic fellow, who said that he prefers speaking English in most settings (including when addressing Danes, despite having learned Danish in school) because "Come on, Icelandic is the most impractical language in the world".

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9728 on: March 28, 2019, 06:26:33 am »

Apparently there's been a recent study indicating that 1 in 3 Norwegians under the age of 30 prefer to speak English when speaking with Danes, instead of trying to communicate using their very closely related sister languages.

This doesn't mean a whole lot for a non-Scandinavian, but I find it pretty hilarious. They also interviewed an Icelandic fellow, who said that he prefers speaking English in most settings (including when addressing Danes, despite having learned Danish in school) because "Come on, Icelandic is the most impractical language in the world".
Bah, you should just speak your own language while faking the accent of whomever you are speaking to and throw in some words of the other language in for effect.

Portunhol is a perfectly legitimate language.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9729 on: March 28, 2019, 06:39:00 am »

I mean, that's pretty much what scandis do anyways. People just speak whichever flavor of Danish/Norwegian/Swedish they're most comfortable with, and the other person normally gets the gist enough to respond with their own preferred language, with everyone kinda subconsciously tweaking their dialect so that it leans into the other language.

And the study says it's STILL what 80% of young Norwegians do when confronted with Swedish... But Denmark gets to be the odd child out because nobody can understand what they're saying.

Honestly though, I've met Norwegians that I'd rather speak English with, because they come from the ass-end of Nowheresville in Norway and have cultivated a unique dialect with the other five residents that is completely and utterly incomprehensible to outsiders. It's not exclusive to country borders.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9730 on: March 28, 2019, 07:14:34 am »

Linguistically speaking (as in according to a linguist I saw on tv some time ago) Norwegian and Swedish is technically the same language, while Danish is a separate language, so that makes sense.

Naturally it is such that Norwegian is a dialect of Swedish, of course, not the other way around.
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9731 on: March 28, 2019, 02:19:34 pm »

*reuses tired old jokes about Sweden being Eastern Norway and such*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9732 on: March 28, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »

Actually, the entire Scandinavian peninsula is technically the part of Northwestern Russia. *wink wink*
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9733 on: March 28, 2019, 02:34:10 pm »

How dare you imply that the Rebellious Eastern and Western Provinces of the Finnish Empire have any right to independence?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9734 on: March 28, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »

How dare you imply that the Rebellious Eastern and Western Provinces of the Finnish Empire have any right to independence?

Well, ackshually, the Swedish Empire had control over the majority of Norway and Finland for some time in the Middle Ages, so...
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 647 648 [649] 650 651 ... 878