Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1541372 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 11000 laughs, somehow
« Reply #12000 on: September 07, 2021, 12:26:52 am »

I'm working in a bilingual kindergarten right now. The class I was just helping out in had 4 kids who had been crying since their parents had dropped them off. Honestly impressive to keep up the tears for 4 hours. The laugh comes from the fact the kids still participated in all activities. It's hard not to laugh when a kid is pretending to cook food and serve it to other kids pretending to have a tea party while quietly sobbing the whole time. Or saying, "Hello, who is this? Oh! Where are you?" into a toy phone with tears pouring down their cheeks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12001 on: September 07, 2021, 05:25:44 pm »

Dead man's switch, obviously. The most reasonable and common agreement between clients and patrons!
Message by rube goldberg dead man switch machine sounds pretty awesome

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: September 07, 2021, 05:46:41 pm »

I'm working in a bilingual kindergarten right now. The class I was just helping out in had 4 kids who had been crying since their parents had dropped them off. Honestly impressive to keep up the tears for 4 hours. The laugh comes from the fact the kids still participated in all activities. It's hard not to laugh when a kid is pretending to cook food and serve it to other kids pretending to have a tea party while quietly sobbing the whole time. Or saying, "Hello, who is this? Oh! Where are you?" into a toy phone with tears pouring down their cheeks.

Ok, that is funny.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: September 07, 2021, 10:33:59 pm »

I thought of a skit:

"Breaking news today: a slight rash of broken water heaters has caused a run on hot water! People are hoarding hot water by the tub full! Thousands of citizens are running their hot water day and night, filling up every gallon jug, two-liter bottle, cup, just every container they can full of hot water. People are even fighting eachother over the faucets in public bathrooms, even the ones with the little push buttons that only dispense a few seconds of hot water at a time. There have already been a few casualties, and there may be more. Let's go interview the man who has the most jugs of hot water in town, the self-proclaimed 'Hot Water King'."
"Hello sir,"
"'Your majesty'"
"Eh?"
"When referring to royalty, you'll call me 'YOUR MAJESTY' GAHDAMMIT!"
"Okay okay, Your Majesty."
"That's more like it. People thought I was a fool, well LOOK WHO'S THE FOOL NOW! When the hot water runs out, and the new HotWaterconomy begins, where every man, woman, and child who wants to take a hot shower has to bow down to ME, everyone will know that I'm the one true king. The Hot Water King."

The Hot Water King, formerly Bob Smitherson, sits down on his throne of milk jugs filled with hot water and brandishes his scepter, topped with a snowglobe that's been emptied out and refilled with hot water.

"But, your majesty."
"Yes, peasant?"
"Don't you think you've gone in over your head? The hot water won't last forever."
"NONSENSE! God has bequeathed the hot water to me, and my kingdom will last to the end of time!"
"May I ask where your first hot water jugs are?"
"Over there." He points to the corner of the room, where it all started.
"Have you felt those jugs recently?"
"Hmm? And why would I do that?"
"Would you humor me, and go feel them?"

The Hot Water King clambers over the waist deep pile of jugs that fill the room, and lays a hand on the first hot water jug, marked 'The Beginning of Greatness'.

"... It's cool, not hot, but cool?!"
"Yes, you finally see your majesty, the hot water was always going to eventually..."
The Hot Water King cocks a pistol "Which one of you MOTHER FUCKERS has been stealing my hot water and replacing it with cold water! You SONS OF BITCHES ARE GOING DOWN!"

The Camera Crew panic and rush out of the one bedroom apartment, as the Former Hot Water King starts shooting indiscriminately.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 06:34:31 am by JoshuaFH »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: September 08, 2021, 01:28:40 am »

Oh my, this sounds like n interesting movie

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: September 08, 2021, 03:15:28 am »

If that was a movie I'd watch it, and it'd be better than pretty much everything that's come out of Hollywood in the last few years.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: September 08, 2021, 08:13:30 pm »

https://twitter.com/coopercooperco/status/1435333995177336835

I don't think even public access tv is this poorly-lit anymore.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: September 08, 2021, 08:16:41 pm »

What does FMV stand for? Also it’s kinda cool how they’re unintentionally making game like graphics for older systems

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: September 08, 2021, 11:42:46 pm »

Full Motion Video, usually referring to live actors used in games, but can also be used to say something like a FMV Dragonball Z movie (as the original is animated, this one will be "live")

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: September 10, 2021, 07:51:30 pm »

What does FMV stand for? Also it’s kinda cool how they’re unintentionally making game like graphics for older systems

As Delphonso said, Full Motion Video. Games like Myst and The Seventh Guest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: September 24, 2021, 11:02:35 am »

I just snicker everytime I look at the biology textbooks here. Why I do is a bit complicated, let me explain.

You see, where I live being an essentially very secular yet "Islamic" country, the Theory of Evolution is neither well known or accepted as a fact here by the common populace. It's still a taboo subject to talk about. But since this place is secular in core, a scientific fact can't be publically denouced by an extension of the state. So its not even mentioned in the books, neither positively or negatively. Its treated as non-existent.

But as we all know, the very center of the science of biology is evolution, as it practically answers the question "why?" for everything. From why our bodies work the way they are, why the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, to why man have nipples, all of it.

So all the common folk learn about biology in school is empty inside, with the system trying to fill the "why?" gap that forms with all sorts of mechanical details that bore people away from biology.

Yet, they can't substract everything. So as I turn the pages, and get to the "Introduction to Biology" section in the beginning, and set my eyes on "Branches of Biology", there I see it. The definition of "Taxonomy: The classification of life by their degree of genetic relativity.", just sitting there, inconspicuously at the lower middle of the list.

And the fact that they somehow felt the need to include analogue/homologue limbs too. With skeletal demonstrations that highlight the structural base of human hand, whale fin, dog feet and bat wing. "Why?", not answered.

Without evolution taught in the curriculum, these seem almost random tidbits with no explanation. Which is what science is supoosed to fix in the first place.

The fun part is that the lament and misfortune of the biology professors, who do know of evolution as they know how to breathe, but have to painstakingly go around it at every turn as they plan the curriculum.

Poor, poor old fellas, knowing so much, yet unable to share it all. I would shed a tear if it wasn't so amusing.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: September 24, 2021, 02:10:50 pm »

Man, religions pretending that evolution doesn't exist seems to be a maladaptive trait, doesn't it? Denying the increasingly obvious isn't a winning strategy for survival in the long term.

Well, what do I know, open denial of reality without any supporting rationale seems to work surprisingly well in some circles. I just choose to believe that this is an unsustainable strategy out of what, wishful thinking?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: September 24, 2021, 02:52:33 pm »

Man, religions pretending that evolution doesn't exist seems to be a maladaptive trait, doesn't it? Denying the increasingly obvious isn't a winning strategy for survival in the long term.

Well, what do I know, open denial of reality without any supporting rationale seems to work surprisingly well in some circles. I just choose to believe that this is an unsustainable strategy out of what, wishful thinking?

If that religion is sufficently large and old enough, no, it isn't. Since everyone around also believes the same religion, the local perception of reality and normalcy shifts in the religions favor. And the conflicting piece of information is buried away and out of sight.

By denying the obvious in places where people would rather keep themselves attached to them, they terraform their environment to suit them better.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:04 pm »

But even powerful religions aren't static in their beliefs over a long enough timescale, and the larger it is, the more variance there is in beliefs over the "same" religion. The appearance of rigidity and immutability is more protective propaganda than reality, since even religion isn't immune to inertia and entropy.

Like, as a metaphor, if you had a steel beam 1 meter long, it looks like one solid object. move one end of it and the other end moves too. but if that steel beam were 1 AU long, you'd see that if you move one end the other end only actually moves once the wave of movement only reaches the other end at the speed of sound. In either case it's not a single "rigid" object but a bunch of particles attached to one another and that becomes a lot more significant the bigger the object is. In the same way that a faith isn't one thing, but a system of a bunch of people "attached" together in belief, very loosely.

And since science is a useful tool, in the long term belief in science would be beneficial for people carrying faith, you'd presumably see the edges of the faith which can accept science be more successful and spread a set of memes which are able to square faith with science, and be more successful than the carriers of "faith-only" memes. Maybe more successful than the "science-only" strain too.

bluh, that's just the ramblings of an unqualified dweeb tho

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: September 24, 2021, 04:30:04 pm »

Humans are not inherently logical creatures. We gravitate onto what feels right, not what is right. Internal logic of these beliefs isn't a large part of the equation since people will just keep squeezing it around as they go.

Things that emerge throught Darwinian Evolution are merely functional, not necessarily sensical. We are talking about meme clusters that have evolved into existence in the hellish conditions of ancient Middle East. They are proficient in spreading in where other thoughts cannot, which are environments where the flow of knowledge is limited.

Yes, in the end, nothing is immune to enthropy. No matter how large or powerful a thing may be. It will crumble into dust eventually.

Problem here is not the amount or accesibility of knowledge. It is that the flow of information is mostly blocked by the old traditions of faith here, preventing it from being registered as valid. Change is happening, just very very slowly.

Like you said, it seems that humans need something nebulous to hold on, so only a mix of both can truely thrive.

This got really carried away didn't it?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 879