Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1547514 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 1223237 views lol
« Reply #12105 on: December 20, 2021, 03:54:48 pm »

Computers. I am playing some Perfect Tower, and couldn't make a purchase. The cost was 1 Trillion resources, and I had 1,000 Billion of that resource.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: December 20, 2021, 04:39:21 pm »

How American, thinking that 3 orders of magnitude constitutes a new name!

It’s been a while since I looked into it, but I think a billion is a million million (12 zeroes) and trillion is technically a million million million (18 zeroes), so the game is right.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: December 20, 2021, 04:53:20 pm »

It’s been a while since I looked into it, but I think a billion is a million million (12 zeroes) and trillion is technically a million million million (18 zeroes), so the game is right.

That's the historical definition, and still the case in some non-English-speaking countries, but in modern English (not just the yanks) the understood definition is that billion is 109 while trillion is 1012.

So either the game's devs aren't native English speakers and got confused, or Iduno actually has very slightly less than 1000B resources and the game is just rounding numbers in an unhelpful fashion. This makes sense if the game is programmed to start displaying "T" once you reach 1,000,000,000,000 exactly, and "B" up until that point.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: December 20, 2021, 05:01:06 pm »

This is the way
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: December 20, 2021, 05:34:59 pm »

This is the way

And you guys mock us for sticking to inches feet and yards...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: December 20, 2021, 05:48:13 pm »

Inches and yards are stupid. Feet are perfectly reasonable, as I can attest, because my foot is indeed exactly one foot in length.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: December 20, 2021, 06:13:32 pm »

That's the historical definition, and still the case in some non-English-speaking countries, but in modern English (not just the yanks) the understood definition is that billion is 109 while trillion is 1012.

This is the way. Strange that it is different in Sweden, I only thought the USA had weird numbers there (they call a billion what we call a trillion)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12112 on: December 20, 2021, 07:50:02 pm »

It comes from the Greek roots of the words, if I remember correctly. The modern "billion" was called a myriad-million or something previously - literally 'thousand-million'.

Reminds me of most Asian counting systems breaking at the 10,000 mark rather than 1,000. One million in Chinese is bai wan 'a hundred ten-thousands.'

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: December 20, 2021, 09:08:08 pm »

So either the game's devs aren't native English speakers and got confused, or Iduno actually has very slightly less than 1000B resources and the game is just rounding numbers in an unhelpful fashion. This makes sense if the game is programmed to start displaying "T" once you reach 1,000,000,000,000 exactly, and "B" up until that point.

They seem like they intended to use the scientific notation version (1E9, etc. is also used), but the computer got hung up on where the decimal went. Leaving and returning corrected the issue.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: December 20, 2021, 09:37:24 pm »

Intended to mention this here a few days ago, but I went to a panto with my nephew and my sisters last week. Nice little affair, small scale, cast of six, parody version of Sleeping Beauty with elements of Snow White. Haven't been to one since I was very wee but it was good fun, nephew absolutely loved it.

He was sitting one seat from the aisle, and trying to hit the villain when she walked past from the doors to the stage or vice versa, and singing one of the songs for two days afterwards.

Bunch of risque adult humour for the grown ups, names based on the nearby towns, wordplay, slapstick, poking fun at the English, poking fun at the nearby towns, poking fun at parts of our own town, bunch of fourth wall breaks, singalong song parodies, one of the cast was in terrible drag as is required for a proper panto.

Villain's plan was to close all the shops on the local high street and get rid of anything fun in the town... which honestly is a bit too real.  :'(

The poisoned apple used to put the heroine to sleep was replaced with a can of Irn Bru, because of course it was.  :P

Apparantly they do an adult version of it, a concept I find quite intriguing. Obviously they'd drop a lot of the skirting around dirty humour and leap straight into it, but I wonder if all the jokes would stay as funny without the wordplay that comes from trying to keep kids from noticing the dirty jokes.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: December 20, 2021, 10:10:21 pm »

I remember a panto I went to many, many years ago in Edinburgh, featuring the late Andy Gray. I can’t remember much about it, except the broad strokes of Andy Gray’s character having an argument with their mother, about going to Forfar for Forfar fur for his mum.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: December 24, 2021, 11:50:47 pm »

Reminded of the existence of Bagdemagus. I can now no longer envision a scene involving merlin that doesn't have this guy coming from the rafters with a linen sack. Even when they're outside.

Bagging maguses is all bagdemagus does, and in doing so they're living their best life.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #12117 on: December 29, 2021, 07:50:48 am »

Another AI dungeon one.
Context: The scenario starts with the local reindeer girl getting stuck in your chimney while trying to bring you presents, and her hugging you, embarrassed, after you let her out. 
Quote from: playing around with AI Dungeon again
> You chuckle as you hug her back. "Don't worry about it, Holly," you tell her, "It may not have gone the way you planned, but I appreciate the sentiment. You're very sweet." You scritch her behind the ears affectionately.
The reindeer girl blushes. "Um," she begins awkwardly, "you're not supposed to do that."

> You blush too. "Oh! I'm sorry, Holly," you say, "I- I didn't, uh..." You look down, embarrassed. "You're the only reindeer girl I know," you admit. "I- is scritching your ears equivalent to, like, grabbing your ass or something?"
Holly seems to get even more embarrassed. "No, no, it's not, it's not! It's... Um, it's a form of dominance, is all."

> You look at Holly curiously. "Oh. So, like, scritch-scritch, 'Look at me, I am the captain now'?" you ask, smiling tentatively.
She blushes even more. "Yes, that's very close to the idea," she says.

I cannot stop giggling about the idea of Tom Hanks being scritched behind the ears menacingly by a Somali pirate.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: December 30, 2021, 12:47:39 pm »

That's actually a pretty good conversation to have with an AI.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: December 31, 2021, 09:43:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 879