Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Request] Kobold Name Generator  (Read 5286 times)

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Request] Kobold Name Generator
« on: July 03, 2014, 05:05:07 pm »

So it's easy enough to put together dwarven, elven, goblin and human names from memory and/or trawling the language files. For the noble kobold, though, one can only approximate--which, I suppose, is appropriate. Still, I like verisimilitude when writing up dwarf fortress stories, even if I can't remember the actual name of the creatures involved.

I found on the wiki an ancient kobold name generator whose download link is long-dead and not archived in the Wayback Machine. There are a couple of tantalizing pictures of the source, but if those scroll bars are to be believed, there's quite a bit left out. I don't suppose anybody out there still has copies of the source, or knowledge of the current rules (beyond "it's a lot of random phonemes strung together mostly at random") so I can write my own? If the latter, I'll share the result, of course.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Kobold Name Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »

I rewrote the one on the wiki into Python (It looks like there was only a little code missing at the end which added fin to firstname and returned the result).

Many of the "frontcluster" entries are missing though, cut off by the window and its probably quite long judging by the slider at the bottom. I added some extras I think should be in there from the example names generated.

kobold.py
Windows binary (which *should* work)

Code: [Select]
>>> kobold()
'blistreelmus'
>>> kobold()
'shlastlaylmis'
>>> kobold()
'kupobis'
>>> kobold()
'jrabadasuilus'
>>> kobold()
'lrukolger'
>>> kobold()
'jribus'
>>> kobold()
'brilikistomin'
>>> kobold()
'suurus'
>>> kobold()
'pabalastimbis'
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Kobold Name Generator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:31:23 pm »

Rock on, thanks!

And yeah, all the cut-off phonemes was the main problem; I wasn't really sure what all was valid and what wasn't.