Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's to be expected for release day?  (Read 3364 times)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's to be expected for release day?
« on: July 04, 2014, 03:36:19 am »

I didn't even know this game existed when DF2012 was released, so I have no idea what fresh hell to expect. Exactly what went down on release day last time, and what should I expect this round? Joke responses are welcome here, I need something to pass the time.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: What's to be expected for release day?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:49:21 am »

I vaguely remember having massive hordes of mosquitoes that may or may not have been husked invade my sites. Either way, DF bugs are fun. 

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:10:06 am »

I didn't even know this game existed when DF2012 was released, so I have no idea what fresh hell to expect. Exactly what went down on release day last time, and what should I expect this round? Joke responses are welcome here, I need something to pass the time.

When DF2010 came out I didn't play it for about 6 months because of the bugs. I had to wait for the bugfixes. Keep your DF2012 to hand to play in the meantime until the game becomes stable enough for you.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:11:17 am »

I plan to basically quit playing fortress mode and to starting playing in bug fixing mode instead, finding and reproducing bugs and reporting them on the bug tracker, in order to help Toady out.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:17 am »

You can expect people complaining about the state of the game, saying how they expected the game for so long to find it in a bugged state. People complaining about old bug that weren't fixed. And people complaining about the focus on adventure mode.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:29:09 am »

You can also expect the site to go down frequently due to the traffic. A DF release is basically a self inflicted DDOS.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:51:10 am »

I plan to basically quit playing fortress mode and to starting playing in bug fixing mode instead, finding and reproducing bugs and reporting them on the bug tracker, in order to help Toady out.
This.

And the more of us that adopt the same attitude, the better off the community as a whole will be. There's a real sense of satisfaction when you help squash a bug that's making people's lives miserable.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »

Let's just hope the 'bugs' don't take the form of literal bugs this time.

The giant mosquitoes, ye gads. They barely even did anything, they just loitered.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:58:26 pm »

haha I remember my first game in DF2012 crashed because it tried to spawn 200 giant mosquitoes at once. Good times.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »

Let's just hope the 'bugs' don't take the form of literal bugs this time.

The giant mosquitoes, ye gads. They barely even did anything, they just loitered.

You see that as a bug(heh heh), I see something like that as a challenge. Add some hostility-inducing tags into the giant mosquito raw and you would have had my idea of a fun time. The reduced lag from killing them all would be my reward.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 03:53:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was a raw issue and could therefore be brought back if you're thinking of modding them anyway. If I recall correctly, the problem was caused by MOSQUITO having [CLUSTER_NUMBER:100:200] and GIANT_MOSQUITO having [COPY_TAGS_FROM:MOSQUITO]. And, if I recall correct, it was resolved by adding [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1] to GIANT_MOSQUITO. So, remove [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1] from GIANT_MOSQUITO and you should get the flocks of 100-200 giant mosquitoes again. (This is in creature_bug_slug_new.txt) That said, most players concluded that the mild nuisance they were as a sort of substitute for badgers (in frightening dwarves) was nothing compared to the nuisance they were as a sort of substitute for catsplosion (in devouring FPS), so you might instead want to change [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1] to something like [CLUSTER_NUMBER:50:100] (rather than removing it so as to use MOSQUITO's 100:200) among other changes if you want to make them some sort of threat to be fought.

I recall that around the same time there was a bug that vampires, which are supposed to accuse others of their own crimes in order to throw off the trail of justice, would accuse wild animals. These two bugs combined were the butt of some jokes that, along the lines of the yak general, sometimes the "bug" would have made sense -- i.e. if Urist is found drained of blood, how implausible is it really to blame the giant mosquitoes that swarm over the fortress like a biblical plague?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Barrel Roll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 07:39:46 pm »

Gather ye plump helmets while ye may.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 10:04:31 pm »

What is to be expected?!
Probably something like this:

DF worlds have negative zip codes, see.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »

There is a good chance forums will be down from the sheer number of people who want to play DF (such pressure on Toady, I can't even conceive of it properly). The wiki will struggle to work fast enough to check whether information is current and update appropriately; that will take much longer then just release day. An early picture of the bug-damage will emerge very, very quickly, but we won't know the real state of things for longer. Also IT'S HAPPENING will get posted at least once if forums are up during the day.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:11:17 am »

Pretty much what misko said.
Pages: [1] 2