Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: <Syndicate II> - Chapter 10: New Friends  (Read 37682 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Syndicate II> - Chapter 10: New Friends
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:36:09 am »

"The Syndicate is by far the greatest threat to this township."

-Press statement of Taylor Barnes, Head Commissioner of Licheville's CO19 Police Special Firearms Unit Divison, 2012

The Syndicate was a gangster coalition, originally nothing more than a few downtrodden blokes sitting around a pub table in Licheville, which would later become one of the most dominant gangs in all of England with hundreds of members in each city. Licheville was originally occupied by Hell Riders, Cobardi Mafioso, Vice Lords and Hawks, but each of them were eventually wiped out by the Syndicate's combined efforts. Even the police's special forces, the heavily armed CO19, could not fight back the power dynamic of the Syndicate, and simply gave up. In the end, the two sides made a deal: The police declared that they had won, winning the support of the locals and making themselves looked good, while they secretly allowed the Syndicate to exist in peace, without hassle. It worked out for both parties.

The Syndicate expanded, setting up bases in Manchester, Liverpool, London and Dublin. Money and power rolled in over time. Yet, despite the magnitude of the islands, there was only so much the Syndicate could do before their rise began to stagnate. The UK and Ireland were not providing enough to meet the expenses and investments that the Syndicate put out. It was time to move on. Leaving their home in the hands of capable underlings, the original heads of the Syndicate set out for a new land, a place of new opportunity.  This opportunity was a new exotic city, vastly different from anything they had seen.

It was the city of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Welcome to the Wild West.

Gameplay:

This is the sequel to the original Modern English Gangster RTD, <Syndicate>. The players take the role of Kings, the leaders of the Syndicate gang as they guide their organization to victory. This means everything from territorial/economic expansion, trading, fighting, diplomacy, recruitment, working against/with the law, establishing a relationship with other gangs and the public, among other conflicts that will arise over the game.

While the gang will start out small in this new city as it originally did, it will grow over time; that is, if it can survive in this harsh, unforgiving but rewarding new desert landscape.

Dice:

The roll system I use will be farily close to the traditional D6 results used in RTD. For an example of an action with each corresponding die number, I will use the opening of a locked door.

0 - Wat: You run into the door, full force, smashing your face into the wooden surface. You fall backwards, dazed.
1 - Abysmal: You jostle the doorknob for a good few minutes, tiring your hand out and no doubt getting the attention of everyone on the other side. Still, it does not open.
2 - Failure: You turn the doorknob. Nope.
3 - Fair: You turn the knob and realize that it's locked.
4 - Good: Turning the doorknob, you realize you're dealing with a locked door. Sacrificing a bobby pin, you manage to open it up and step into the next room.
5 - Great: As you realize the door before you is locked, you take a nearby pen and manage to unlock the door without a sound.
6 - Overshoot: You kick the door, bypassing the lock with sheer muscle and slamming it open.
7 - Woah.: You unlock the door using only your hands and ears, nice.
8+ - ...I don't even: You manage to alter the door lock so that it locks everyone on the other side inside of it.

Experience:

The experience system in this game is simple. You do a specific type of task or action enough times, you gain a level in that skill. Each level you gain, you get an additional 1/5 of a chance of gaining a +1 to your next roll involving that skill. So at level 1 you have a 20% bonus chance, at level 2 you have a 40% chance, and at level 5 you are guaranteed to get a +1 every-time you utilize that skill.

The experience system is dynamic, so getting to level 1 won't take you that long, but for each additional level, it will take exponentially longer and require more training/more skillful utilization of that skill.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.A.:

The biggest change in the sequel is the brand new city. Located thousands of miles away, Albuquerque is anything but Licheville. Gone are wet, foggy mornings in squat downtown buildings, now the Syndicate is in a dry arid metropolis with towering mountains and rising buildings and developments many times larger than the town back home. More territory to cover, more gangs and cops to deal with, more money to made, more shipments, more excitement, more danger, more opportunity, more everything.

Guns were a precious commodity in the original Syndicate, carried in secret by a few gangsters, even a handgun was only used in times of emergency or to carry out specific murder. In the states, even a lowly street gang has access to sub-machine guns and assault rifles. Additionally, you won't find a single police officer without at least a nine-millimeter handgun and taser. They're armed to deal with the hardcore perpetual violence that just wasn't present in Licheville.

The culture of the city is it's own tale as well. A western desert state transformed into a bustling hotspot for business and populace. Albuquerque has a huge Hispanic population, with nearly half of its citizens identifying as such. Plan to hear about 30000% more Spanish in Albuquerque on a daily basis than you would in Licheville.

Albuquerque features everything from middle-class suburbs and upper-class mansions to lower-class ghettos. Commerce and business run alongside education and sprawl. As time passes, the Syndicate will learn more and more about their new city.

A word of advice, try and mask that English accent a bit if you're trying to fit in.

Character Sheet:

Name:
Last Occupation:

Appearance:
Biography:

Initial Major Skill: One Level 4 Skill
Initial Minor Skills: Two Level 1 Skills
Inventory: Nothing ridiculous, mainly stuff you're character would carry around.

Suggested Gang Symbol(s): Last time, I let the players decide Black was the Syndicate's de facto color. Now you can decide which symbol(s) will identify the Syndicate in Albuquerque. The symbols with the most votes shall be used.

Player-List:

1. Spinal_Taper (Eloni Montera)
2. Doomblade187 (Dave Green)
3. Greenstarfanatic (Aaron Bradley)
4. anailater (Mason Johnstone)
5. GraveHaunter92 (Trent McGrath)
6. Playergamer (Thomas Marshall)
7. Persus13 (Thomas Freedom)
8. Patrick Hunt (Preston Duellos)

Graveyard: (Pour a 40 out for these homies.)

Empty for now...

Waitlist:

1. Garreth Gray - (darkpaladin109)
2. Daina Swanson - (Fr0stByt3)
3.Manuel "Manny" Sandoval (Nidilap)

Geen (Non-active)
wsoxfan (Non-active)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:28:31 am by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: <Syndicate II>:
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:36:33 am »

If everything looks good, the intro turn will be up shortly.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: <Syndicate II>: Welcome to the Wild West
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 12:51:05 am »

I vote for the same gang colors, but with a small, simplified flag of USA on the side, siginifying this city as our new operation in the US.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:53:57 am »

As for a symbol...Why not a couple crossed guns in white? It'd go well with our black/dark colours.

Name: Aaron Bradley
Last Occupation: Boxer

Appearance: Black hair that flips up in the front, Green Eyes, Childish Face, Oft wears Tank Tops and Shorts. Muscular Arms, Short, Thin.
Biography: His Boxing career went well until he fought Murdoch McGee. He knows the Bastard cheated, and he knows the Ref was in on it. He lost, and he quit the game to search for a better life, one with trust and enough action to satisfy his cravings. He wants revenge on the English Boxing Association for their betrayal, but mostly on the town itself for not caring. 
Since the fight, he's learned a few ways to cheat himself, and he wants to put them to use.
(I know this is weak, but I'm tired.)
Initial Major Skill: Melee Fighting
Initial Minor Skills: Conning/Persuasion, Hacking/Surveillance
Inventory: Boxing Gloves, Deck of Cards, 12 LockPicks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:37:21 pm by Greenstarfanatic »
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:56:00 am »

Should I re-post my character sheet from last time or do you already have that covered.

As for a symbol...Why not a couple crossed guns in white? It'd go well with our black/dark colours.

I can do it myself, but if you reposted your sheet it would be appreciated.

GraveHaunter92

• Bay Watcher
  • All legends are true, few are accurate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:13 am »

I remember us using an 'S' Symbol that looked a bit like this once

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/195/0/4/superman_neon_blue_symbol_wp_by_chaomanceromega-d579bq3.png

Although that might have just been a temporary symbol for our gang.  I'm in favor of having something different for our gang's new American chapter with our old colors.

Name: Trent McGrath
Last Occupation: pizza delivery man

Appearance: A short young man with messy brown hair and a few faded facial scars.  Usually wears jeans and a black hoody.
Biography: The son of two working class Irish immigrants, Trent experienced a rather rough childhood on the mean streets of Glasgow where he was raised.  Trent came to Licheville a few years back hoping to make a little money for himself so he could take up cooking classes and become a chef.  Having failed that, Trent is now looking to put his skills to work in the Syndicate.
Initial Major Skill: Knife fighting/Blades
Initial Minor Skills: Stealth, Graffiti
Inventory: Two switchblades and can of spray paint.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:36:11 am by GraveHaunter92 »
Jesus must have been guiding him in living out the way of the samurai.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:46:39 am »

Name: Thomas Marshall
Last Occupation: Politician

Appearance: A normal looking man, with a gleam in his eye.
Biography: Born in America, Thomas ran for Congress multiple times using training from his dad, who had been a Senator. He immigrated to Licheville after a scandal that he prefers not to talk about.

Initial Major Skill: Persuasion
Initial Minor Skills: Bluff, Bribe
Inventory: Swiss Army Knife, Cellphone
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 04:35:41 am »

Waitlist me, please.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:20 am »

Name:Vivian Bixon
Last Occupation:chemist

Appearance:a thin woman with crazy red hair(like Einstein but longer).she also wear glasses but doesn't really need them, they are for cool factor.
Biography:Vivian was always banded as a mad scientist. She was look down upon by her co worker ad the crazy woman, the mad scientist. She was on verge of achieving her goal when her funding was cut and she got fire. So she decide to walk the evil path and show the world how evil she can be and take revenge on everyone that made fun of her.

Initial Major Skill:chemistry
Initial Minor Skills:computer usage, coerce
Inventory: make-up kit and a suitcase with her laptop and accessory

Suggested Gang Symbol(s): coyote wearing a fedola
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:05:42 am »

You know, I said I was gonna edit my sheet a bit for this, so I suppose I'l do that right now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 06:51:55 am »

Name: Eloni Montera
Last Occupation: Pirate

Appearance: Somewhat tan, with black hair and tattered clothes. Tribal tatoos cover his arms and legs, and his head is topped with a ratty mohawk.
Biography:

Initial Major Skill: Gunfighting
Initial Minor Skills: Intimidation
Survival
Inventory: Handgun, bag of various consumables of varying legalities.

Suggested Gang Symbol(s): Anything is cool.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 09:22:40 am »

Name:Alex Raman
Last Occupation:Butcher

Appearance:He has dark brown hair and a pale complexion. He isn't muscular, though his body isn't small or weak

Biography:Alex decided to become a butcher because he needed the money. Eventually he became very good at cutting, but he just wasn't interested in the job. He wanted to join a gang, so he packed up his stuff and left the job.

Initial Major Skill: Cutting weapons

Initial Minor Skills: precision, speed
Inventory: A knife and a cleaver

Waitlist?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:24 am »

Varee and Yourmaster will be added to the waitlist promptly.

Varee, Yourmaster, darkpaladin, and Spinal:

Can each of you tell me where your character is from? This is going to be important with the new location; for example, the original gang, being from England, are all going to have (at least initially) noticeable English accents.

Gang Symbols Suggested:

Gang Colors + Small U.S. Flag (1)
Superman 'S' (1)
Coyote wearing a Fedora (1)

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 09:55:05 am »

Alex is American, and I vote for a coyote with a fedora.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 09:58:40 am »

Let say am local
I guess the gang will need some local with better local knowledge?
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22