Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stutter  (Read 1200 times)

22longZ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stutter
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:32:55 pm »

Hello everyone,

i was in the mood to play dwarf fortress again and remembered this fine mod from back in the days when there weren't fancy kobold or orc fortresses. While i was pleasantly overwhelmed by the new features added since i last checked, i am experiencing some problems with the current version. My game stutters, most obviously watchable on running dwarfs. They freeze for a fraction of a second only to teleport several tiles forward. At first i expected a problem on my part, so I downloaded and started the “Accelerated DF". Even after several in-game years into the game everything was running fine (and on a way better fps but that is not the point of my post). Which brings me to these two questions:

1. Is this stuttering a known problem of the current Masterwork version (5.10) and if so is there an easy way to solve it? I tried all the tricks i know (disable weather, temperature, lower population cap, raising system priority) but to no avail. It “feels” like some scripts are causing the stuttering.

2. Since I don't expect an easy way to solve my problem i would like to know which of the older versions of the Masterwork mod will most likely run fine. I was browsing through  meph's uploads and found several versions with no indication which one I should try. I know i will miss out some of the fancy stuff added in the newer versions by playing an older Masterwork version. But at least I hope the older versions run smooth. Any idea? 3.x or 4.x? The problem: (example) Maybe 3.c is “well-rounded” but only because it fixed a major bug of the 3.b version. I simply don't have a clue.

Just to be clear: This is not a thread about fps-problems. I am perfectly aware of the fact that no Masterwork-version will be as fast as “Accelerated DF". It's simply the stuttering that kills me.

Thanks in advance!

Koggenmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stutter
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:07:42 am »

Maybe you set the Graphics Cap in the launcher too low.
The Graphical-FPS control how often the screen visually updates, 20 works fine for me.
Do the dwarves mine/finish reactions with same speed as in Accelerated DF?