Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outpost liaison is partying instead of conducting meeting  (Read 3525 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outpost liaison is partying instead of conducting meeting
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:45 am »

To be more specific he is hanging out in the meeting area. My mayor is easibly accessible and has had no job for a month or so. The liaison did get injured by a goblin, so I think that's what's causing it. Will he eventually go insane, or do I have to kill him manually?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost liaison is partying instead of conducting meeting
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:07:53 am »

1. Do you have only a mayor or also a baron/countess/duke? The landed nobility usually claims diplomatic negotiations as their privilege. If you have a full noble, check what _they're_ doing.
2. Is there any other "diplomat" unit on your site? A diplomat loitering in the meeting hall normally means there's an older diplomat around who hasn't had the opportunity to finish business yet, so the newer diplomat sits in the meeting hall awaiting their turn. In a really silly case, i had a diplomat spawned in a disconnected corner of the map and only spotted them after next year's liaison showed up as a civilian profession.

Diplomats waiting for an appointment can hang around until they die of old age. It's only being detained _after_ finishing a meeting that drives them mad. I think you're misjudging whom the diplomat's wanting to talk to/overlooking an older diplomat on the site.

If you ever decide to go loopy and murder a liaison, don't do this through direct aggression! You _can_ order your military to attack non-fort dwarfs, but that normally (and quite logically) turns them into enemies of your entire civilisation - including all other fort members.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:34:47 pm »

no...none of those things

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

What is your mayor doing?

Is your mayor a member of a military squad, even off-duty?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 02:31:16 pm »

What is your mayor doing?

Is your mayor a member of a military squad, even off-duty?

Yes, he is. He had no job, as I said though. He is not a soldier, has no barracks- the squad exists only to provide civilians with permanent clothing.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:06:57 pm »

If nothing else helps, "r"eplace your mayor in the nobles screen. This should dislodge diplomats waiting to meet with him/her ("a diplomat has left unhappy" and foiled diplomacy). You might need to replace the mayor multiple times in a row if you're suffering from a diplomat pile-up.

"no, none of these" as in "no, i have no landed noble" or "my baroness/etc. doesn't show signs of engaging in diplomacy"? The latter means the liaison _does_ want to meet the noble, the noble's just dodging their job (conducting meetings is currently broken, dwarfs tend to treat it as idle time, i.e. they'll do absolutely anything else before even considering holding a meeting).

What are the wounds of the diplomat, btw? Perhaps there's something that prevents them from scheduling a meeting??

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »

I am not a barony yet, mayor is the one who should be conducting meeting. There are no other diplomats, and there never were in this fort. The liaison has red guts. His behaviour puzzles me - if he is healthy, he should be following the mayor and try to make a deal. If he is too injured - well, i thought he would just leave the map, but apparently he chose to do nothing at all.

Edit: I finally replaced the mayor, and instead of leaving unhappy, the liaison conducted meeting with the new one.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:05:42 pm by ancistrus »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:34:08 pm »

That's... :o

I've never heard of anything even remotely like this.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:22 pm »

curious... was the mayor elected into office when the liaison was on the map?

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »

Hey ancistrus, did you ever figure this out? I've been trying to get my mayor to meet with the liaison for many months with no luck, and just noticed that the liaison has some injuries (I guess sustained during a tantrum, but I didn't see).

I had another hypothesis as to what might be wrong (a walled-off depressed weredeer had an "Attend Meeting" job for a long time with no path to the mayor, thought maybe it was ahead in the meeting queue or something), but trying to address that didn't work (no meeting after releasing it, and still no meeting with the liaison after the full moon came and the weredeer was put down).

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:49 am »

Your problem is that you have parties... only designate meeting areas from zones, not wells, statues, cages, and don't make meeting areas out of tables.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:07:47 am »

Normally that's not a problem, but freeing that table may solve this one.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 09:01:47 am »

Your problem is that you have parties... only designate meeting areas from zones, not wells, statues, cages, and don't make meeting areas out of tables.

Yes, this worked! I had never heard of this before, but I freed up my well and memorial halls and the liaison went straight to the mayor's office. Thanks for the help!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:02 pm »

Yes, this worked! I had never heard of this before, but I freed up my well and memorial halls and the liaison went straight to the mayor's office. Thanks for the help!

Parties, like justice, are evil in DF.

To remove parties you must simply take care that you have no room designed from a building that is considered as a meeting area in your fort.

That means don't designate meeting areas out of table, don't designate anything out of a statue, don't designate anything out of a well and don't designate anything out of cages either.

Oh and yes and memorial halls... is that a thing ?

Activity zone meeting areas are the only meeting area you should need.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:23:55 pm by Naryar »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 02:19:15 pm »

Oh and yes and memorial halls... is that a thing ?
IIRC memorial halls are the rare exception, no parties there.