Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Age of world - what do you prefer?  (Read 2456 times)

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of world - what do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:44 pm »

I usually run short histories and embark in the nasty biomes through the frequent update period, then switch to long histories after the releases get a little more stable. I don't usually have to worry about getting too attached to a fort I may not be able to keep that way.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:13:24 pm »

I usually go for something like 125 years (and no more than 250), just to optimize the save/load time. It also usually ensures more megabeasts alive... and not too many persons who were born "in a time before time". Still provides for quite a good amount of interesting history stuff, I guess.
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

HectorX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:17:04 pm »

Thanks for your responses everyone, really helpful!

I just upgraded to a new PC so I've been 'stress-testing' it by running 1050-year builds on Large worlds (just default building parameters, am too afraid to go near the advanced stuff!).

I do like a lot of mega beasts running around, as well as some civ conflict, but I've been starting a few fortresses in some Age of Goblins worlds. If the game wouldn't persist on crashing I would be interested in seeing how a world like that played out with the updates, but that can wait. :)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:16:30 am »

Age of Batman

I'd like to try to keep it in the Age of Legends for 1000+ years, with just enough mega and semi-megabeast to keep the civ population in check but not exterminate them before the civs finally get the upper hand and it goes into Myths. Maybe I have those two backwards but I'm sure you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:19:58 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 09:17:53 pm »

depends on what I'm wanting to do.
like sometimes I'll want age of goblins so that I may kill all/almost all of them and then run a fortress and secure dwarven dominate of the world.
though if modding for adventure mode so I can make stuff I may set the savagery and number of beasts very high so I can survive as one of the only/only civilized being in existence.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.
Pages: 1 [2]