Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are SPOILERS still in game?  (Read 1255 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are SPOILERS still in game?
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

So are demonic fortresses with adamantinum sword still in game? I tried to settle everywhere in one tile and I didn't see adamantinum sword in R so either they aren't as easy to find anymore or they don't anymore appear in building screen... So umm, what is easy way to find one if they are still in game?

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
Re: Are SPOILERS still in game?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:42:10 am »

I think a good method to find them is to create a world with caverns set to max openness and minimum density, then dig down to the 3rd cavern layer and explore. the probability of finding one should be very high.

I think (emphasis on think) that as long as you embark on a 16x16 site you'll always find a demonic fortress. Unless that's changed. Also, if you're doing this from a more practical stand point, you could copy the world, embark on a 16x16 area, figure out which squares it's in, go to the copy (or savescum) then embark on the smaller area where the fort should be located.

I hope that this helps (and is right for that matter)!
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:46:29 am »

Well, doing 16x16 embark is at the moment impossible since it causes the game to freeze or crash I think since current version isn't yet optimized <_< Unless I'm wrong

So wait, fortresses are always in third cavern? What was z levels for third cavern again?

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:49 am »

Well, doing 16x16 embark is at the moment impossible since it causes the game to freeze or crash I think since current version isn't yet optimized <_< Unless I'm wrong

Right, well the alternative, while a taking a bit longer is to simply embark with a 4x4 4 times, I haven't personally tried a huge embark on the current version, if it is too buggy/unstable then just go for this instead.

So wait, fortresses are always in third cavern? What was z levels for third cavern again?

I think it can appear on the 3rd layer or lower, and while I can't remember how many z-levels down the 3rd cavern layer is you can simply set the Above Layer 1, 2 and 3 parameters to be something low like 5 or so (I wouldn't set it too low, I think that causes funny things to happen), so that you can get there pretty fast.

There is another way to determine if there's one there, it worked in the previous version and I'm not sure if it'll work now: set up a lever on embark and see if you can attach it to a Spear or Spike Trap. The sword should show up if there's one on the map. It's likely that, if that stuff is now hidden from you and the rooms list, it's possible that Toady has added code to prevent the exploit being used xD.

EDIT: fixed my grammar a bit... or made it worse :S
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:12:31 am by Neo_Spade »
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:37 am »

I think the sword form the demon fortress appears on the book keeper screen, so you should be able to see it from there.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:31:22 am »

Build a lever and select attach to upright weapon or some such command. The candy weapon should appear in the list. So I suggest embarking with a few mechanisms and checking this out.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 05:47:17 am »

Haven't managed to find them with stock, building menu nor level <_< Weren't each 16x16 tile supposed to have one? Or is that changed? Or am I just missing the one tile every time due to not being able to embark 16x16 anymore and I'm just really good at missing one tile when embarking with smaller locations?(10x10 or 11x11 seem to be largest fortress game can handle, though latter still sometimes crashes the game before embarking and former crashes game while in fortress mode)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:06 am »

At the very least, the game still generates the interaction for the demonic fortress inhabitants. If they're gone, I imagine that it wasn't deliberate.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 11:35:29 am »

Haven't managed to find them with stock, building menu nor level <_< Weren't each 16x16 tile supposed to have one? Or is that changed? Or am I just missing the one tile every time due to not being able to embark 16x16 anymore and I'm just really good at missing one tile when embarking with smaller locations?(10x10 or 11x11 seem to be largest fortress game can handle, though latter still sometimes crashes the game before embarking and former crashes game while in fortress mode)

In the previous version, Word of Toad was that there was exactly one per 16x16.  Which means that if you copied the save, embarked on an 8x8 of one quadrant, used one of the methods to detect it, and repeated three times for the other quadrants you were guaranteed to find it. 

At this point, there are a few options:
A) User error(s).  They are there and detectable, but no one has gotten it right.  Evidence is building that this isn't it.
B) They are there as before, but some or all of the methods to detect them shortly after embark have been fixed.  (Most of these methods were technically bugs.) 
C) They are supposed to be there, but one of the many changes has broken them. 
D) They have been removed, as the new Dark Spires, special holy materials, etc. supersede them. 

I would not be surprised by D) as it makes sense that the previous generation's special subsurface sites were a simplified prototype to the more elaborate system in the new version, which directly connects into the world mythology.  That said, it is entirely possible that it's one of the other options is the case; doing some Science! with multiple types of detection method would be useful, especially if it turns out to be B).