Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 Released  (Read 242890 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.11 Released
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »

Why is it so hard to play without therapist? just set job designations as migrant waves come in. Its not all that hard.

Hard?  Not really.  The word is "tedious".

That said, I do not use therapist or any other external thingers.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:50 am »

Why is it so hard to play without therapist? just set job designations as migrant waves come in. Its not all that hard.

I've never used therapist for more than five minutes, mostly because I had no idea what it was doing besides make the game run a little slower.

maluraq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:19 am »

Bah, it doesn't take that much time to lay out skills but Therapist lets you do the one interesting thing you can't do in DF itself -- check how many dwarves are assigned to each job type at all.

After a major battle, I've gone through each column and sometimes found I lost my only surgeon or three out of my four best cooks or my top wood cutters.  That's when I start re-assigning others to fill in those spots quickly.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2013, 03:19:07 pm »

One of the forms of 'daub' is misspelled as 'daubbing' (found in language_words.txt).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:53 pm »

I am actually quite ok with the new DF version taking a long time and bringing tons of new features in one go. Makes my life a lot easier, and the same holds true for the dfhack, therapist and any other utility and mod group.
When that version comes out...
I'm not playing it until Dwarf Therapist is patched for it lol
Well, unless I want to go bald. Then I'll play it.

I'm pretty sure that Therapist won't take too long to update, since it's maintained very well right now :)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2013, 08:23:48 am »

So the next version is a christmas release right? you know I looove me some early christmas gifts.
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2013, 11:51:29 am »

So the next version is a christmas release right? you know I looove me some early christmas gifts.

I wouldn't neccesarily bet on it and there is no set release date, but it could happen.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 20, 2013, 12:10:53 am »

My biggest concern with going such a long time between releases is that with the sweeping changes that are being implemented there's a good chance there are going to be a plethora of bugs that Toady won't have caught during his own testing.  I'm concerned about how long it will take once the new version is released before a version that plays close to how it is intended is released due to the amount of bugfixing that will probably be required.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2013, 04:56:59 am »

My biggest concern with going such a long time between releases is that with the sweeping changes that are being implemented there's a good chance there are going to be a plethora of bugs that Toady won't have caught during his own testing.  I'm concerned about how long it will take once the new version is released before a version that plays close to how it is intended is released due to the amount of bugfixing that will probably be required.

that's always a danger in any game like this. We deal with it. Remember when diseases were all but unmanageable and doctors were even worse at saving lives than they were now?

My one fear is that some of the bug fixes will remove things like the one true SkyFort from the possibility of crafting.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

DFAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2014, 10:55:14 am »

The only one I do use is Dwarf Therapist. It saves so much time and let's you die so much faster. :P

imlovinit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2014, 08:34:33 am »

Do you think the debug mode (the mode that you use to run around the world and cause mayhem) will be playable? Cause that sounds like tons of fun to me at least

EDIT; how did i end up in the announcement forums i was at future of the fortress? oh well ignore me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:36:32 am by imlovinit »
I mean you can today reasonably expect a dwarf not to put themselves on the wrong side of a flood-gate, or run through fire. That's progress.

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2014, 09:48:37 am »

Are there any tools, similar to Dwarf Therapist, but a bit less cluttered?  Maybe more individual, as in one tab per dwarf.  At first I don't have problems with it, but when there are 20 dwarfs on screen, I find it hard to keep track of them.

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 07, 2014, 01:56:50 pm »

Are there any tools, similar to Dwarf Therapist, but a bit less cluttered?  Maybe more individual, as in one tab per dwarf.  At first I don't have problems with it, but when there are 20 dwarfs on screen, I find it hard to keep track of them.
If I were you I'd just stick with Therapist. Having one dwarf per tab might make things easier at the start, but imagine having that with 40 dwarves, let alone 200.

I find the easiest way to navigate with Therapist is to change around what you sort by depending on what you need. I like to clear all labours then sort by each column, selecting the top skilled dwarves. Once finished with that, I sort by total assigned labours, and reassign if I have dwarves with too many active. Assuming I don't want to train any new dwarves, I set all of the 0's at that point to my Hauler preset (ensuring I avoid nobles).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]