Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313534 times)

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1290 on: October 22, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »

TheDorf:

Is the GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT tag in the tanner what makes leather become "cow leather" or "dog leather" etc?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 22, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »

That's right. It links with the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag, which looks for the counterpart tag with TAN_MAT. The counterpart is in the material template of skin and it's that one which dictates the material must become x leather, where x is the creature on the chopping board.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »

Would changing MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT to NONE be all I needed to do to simply the leather system?  Does that also remove dwarfs preferences for certain types of leather?

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 22, 2014, 02:15:30 pm »

Thanks! I should be able to learn enough from this. Quick question, though, what's tan_mat do?

Having [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT] in a reaction makes sure only materials that have the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:X] (In vanilla, X is always LEATHER) can be used in the reaction. Without this, you would be able to use any unrotten body parts.

Tested the reaction by attempting to kill a bowman to use his skin for leather. I got six arrows in the chest, one in the arm, and died. And right above my death line was "Greetings En. Long live the cause!"
!!!SCIENCE!!! Fail
And the tan skin "create" option didn't show up at all, not like the make sharp rock thing which is always there. I did ^ just to see if the option only appeared if the reagents were present in my inventory. I'll assume it doesn't.

Weird, seeing as I tested the raws in arena mode. Seeing as it worked in the arena, it SHOULD work in adventure mode as well. The reaction showed up for me in adventure mode too, but I didn't actually kill anything there. Did you generate a new world, and did you put ALL of the text in a text file called reaction_adv.txt?

The
Code: [Select]
reaction_adv

[OBJECT:REACTION]
at the top is required unless you put it into an already existing file. The line at the top can be modified, but it has to match the name of the file, minus the .txt extension.

Would changing MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT to NONE be all I needed to do to simply the leather system?  Does that also remove dwarfs preferences for certain types of leather?

I'm pretty sure that changing [PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT] to [PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE] would just give you an item called "Leather", no matter what animal skin is used, yes. I believe I did exactly this at some point, but I didn't try it out just now. The fastest way to test it would be by using the reaction RAWs I posted on the last page and then entering the arena, spawning a human with a dagger and some dagger/fighter skill along with a dingo, then killing the dingo as the human, butchering it, and then tanning the hide.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:19:41 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 22, 2014, 02:23:39 pm »

Leather is actually a part of a creature's anatomy. It's part of the STANDARD_MATERIALS package which has the skin, the bone, the meat, the eyes, the whole lot. Even if there's no reasonable way to get it, it doesn't stop them from adoring the leather of gibbons and turkeys. You could make the reaction put out weird no-material TANNED_HIDE items, but I'm fairly confident that the stock leatherworking reactions would throw a fit at the sight of those.

Leather doesn't really exist as a generic concept. All leather is xyz leather. The way Masterwork did it was to make a non-existent dummy animal "whose" leather (free of all prefixes, of course) all tanned hides turned into. I don't know if there are better ways, Meph has probably bashed his head into plenty of walls before coming to that solution.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 22, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »

Leather is actually a part of a creature's anatomy. It's part of the STANDARD_MATERIALS package which has the skin, the bone, the meat, the eyes, the whole lot. Even if there's no reasonable way to get it, it doesn't stop them from adoring the leather of gibbons and turkeys. You could make the reaction put out weird no-material TANNED_HIDE items, but I'm fairly confident that the stock leatherworking reactions would throw a fit at the sight of those.

Leather doesn't really exist as a generic concept. All leather is xyz leather. The way Masterwork did it was to make a non-existent dummy animal "whose" leather (free of all prefixes, of course) all tanned hides turned into. I don't know if there are better ways, Meph has probably bashed his head into plenty of walls before coming to that solution.
I haven't looked at how Masterwork did this, though I thought you could just replace this line in the SKIN_TEMPLATE

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]

with something like

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:INORGANIC:PSEUDO_LEATHER]

that happens to have the same characteristics as the LEATHER_TEMPLATE including the [ITEMS_LEATHER] tag, then remove the LEATHER materials from STANDARD_MATERIALS.  That way cat leather doesn't exist, but "leather" does.

Maybe it needs to be organic for [ITEMS_LEATHER] to work, in which case we circle back to something more or less identical to what Meph did.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 22, 2014, 02:37:33 pm »

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure this was actually the way I went about it too, seeing as the game threw a bunch of errors when I tried using :NONE:NONE:NONE. Thank you for pointing this out. Essentially, create a creature without a name, then change [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] in material_template_default.txt to [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:MATERIAL:CREATURE_X:LEATHER]. Not sure about the exact syntax, but something similar to that :)

I'm pretty sure that the "generic tiered leathers mod" or whatever it's called uses the same method, but has three different leather templates that have [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:MATERIAL:CREATURE_X:LEATHER], [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:MATERIAL:CREATURE_Y:LEATHER] and [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:MATERIAL:CREATURE_Z:LEATHER], where creatures X, Y and Z are actually creatures with names such as "regular", "rare" and "exquisite". The material templates used in creatures were then changed to match these depending on the material modifier of the creatures using a script.

It's really amazing what this community comes up with to solve seemingly simple problems. :)

Edit:
... Stuff about inorganic materials and stuff ...

This is actually a really interesting idea. I should really be studying for tomorrow's test, but if anyone else has time on their hands and could try this and then report their results here, that'd be neat. As I said, I was recommended to go with the nameless creature variant when I tried this, but I don't know if this method has ever been tried. And even if it has, I guess things can change between releases.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:41:34 pm by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 22, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »

I should really be studying for tomorrow's test, but
And yet that online-now indicator is still on... :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »

I should really be studying for tomorrow's test, but
And yet that online-now indicator is still on... :)
*SHOULD* be studying ;)

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 22, 2014, 09:27:47 pm »

Oops! I put it in the reaction_other.txt file instead of the reaction_adv.txt file. But I can't find it in the raws. Dang it sleep deprivation!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 22, 2014, 09:37:11 pm »

There is no reaction_adv and which file you put it in does not matter.

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 22, 2014, 10:08:51 pm »

Oh. Well it works now. I just copy-pasted theDorf's exact words and it worked just fine. I don't know what I did wrong, though.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 22, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »

Oh. Well it works now. I just copy-pasted theDorf's exact words and it worked just fine. I don't know what I did wrong, though.

Yeah, I just try keeping my custom raws in custom files, makes it easier to recognise what it and what isn't modded. :)

Essentially, you can put it into any file with [OBJECT:REACTION], as long as the file begins with the filename minus the .txt extension, and has [OBJECT:REACTION] after that. Anyways, glad that it works now, and hopefully you understood most of what you copy-pasted. :)

NoobKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 23, 2014, 05:52:44 am »

What do I have to change to improve the quality of the products that come out? Like finely-crafted helms and stuff.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 23, 2014, 06:46:35 am »

What do I have to change to improve the quality of the products that come out? Like finely-crafted helms and stuff.

I'm pretty sure this isn't moddable through RAWs. Essentially, just craft tons of stuff until you become legendary, and you should start getting masterwork items rather often. :)
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 247