Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 310196 times)

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1320 on: October 24, 2014, 05:37:43 am »

Okay, thanks Putnam, now i only need to set tissue thickness.
How do i do that?

errorlog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:29 am »

Okay, thanks Putnam, now i only need to set tissue thickness.
How do i do that?

errorlog

Pretty sure the tissue thickness is defined in the body_default.txt file, so it should already be set for 2TUSKS. I believe the error "No tissue thickness" also shows up if no tissue has been assigned, so try this:

Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:IVORY:TOOTH_TEMPLATE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:IVORY:IVORY_TEMPLATE]

Not entirely sure about this, though.

Edit: Sorry, I totally should have checked your raws before I posted. Didn't notice you already had it in. Tissue thickness is defined in b_detail_plan_default.txt at any rate, and since you're using the exoskeleton template, it should already be defined. No clue, sorry. :(

Another edit: I think the problem could be that you're redefining bodies, materials and the like. What you want to do is simply not define any standard bodies, materials and such, but rather define it all twice - once in each caste.

Something a bit like this:

The following raws don't create any errorlog, and both castes show up in the arena:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:12:03 am by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 24, 2014, 10:39:53 am »

I would recommend making all of the BODY assignments first, then doing all of the tissue stuff.  Adding a new bodypart after the tissues were assigned will leave that new bodypart "naked."  Something like

header stuff like tile, biome, description, etc.
generic BODY stuff
declare all castes, including only additional BODY tokens (and empty otherwise)
select all castes
do your materials and tissues
do anything that applies to all castes
break out into specific castes again as needed (assigning genders, etc.)

This isn't strictly necessary in your case because the tusk materials are straightforward... it's more of a best practice.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Hasse

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining Dwarf, always mines, nothing else!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 24, 2014, 11:10:20 am »

Real solid advice thanks for the help!

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 24, 2014, 12:58:29 pm »

I would recommend making all of the BODY assignments first, then doing all of the tissue stuff.  Adding a new bodypart after the tissues were assigned will leave that new bodypart "naked."  Something like

header stuff like tile, biome, description, etc.
generic BODY stuff
declare all castes, including only additional BODY tokens (and empty otherwise)
select all castes
do your materials and tissues
do anything that applies to all castes
break out into specific castes again as needed (assigning genders, etc.)

This isn't strictly necessary in your case because the tusk materials are straightforward... it's more of a best practice.

Thank you, I've always been a bit confused about where to put what, and I'm sure this was visible in the raws that I posted earlier... :)
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 25, 2014, 04:37:46 am »

So, totally new to modding DF here, and I'm left a bit bewildered by the info on the wiki regarding reactions and material tokens.  Specifically, how would I specify the material "any metal bar" as a reagent?  INORGANIC:METAL:NONE?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 25, 2014, 04:56:05 am »

don't use "METAL", it's simply an allowed alias for inorganic, not a valid subtype or argument.

[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]

A = arbitrary name for this reagent
150 = quantity (150 happens to be the size of a single normal bar in DF units)
BAR:NONE = item token for a bar
INORGANIC:NONE = material token for "any inorganic material"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 25, 2014, 11:59:32 am »

Hello I'm trying to use the display name syndrome token but for some reason it isn't working. What am I doing wrong? The syndrome itself is fine though.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

don't use "METAL", it's simply an allowed alias for inorganic, not a valid subtype or argument.

[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]

A = arbitrary name for this reagent
150 = quantity (150 happens to be the size of a single normal bar in DF units)
BAR:NONE = item token for a bar
INORGANIC:NONE = material token for "any inorganic material"
Hmm, okay, but aren't there non-metal bars?  How would I specify "only metal bars"?  Or are the non-metal bars not considered 'bars"?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 25, 2014, 01:52:50 pm »

You specify "metal," in the sense that DF understands it, by using INORGANIC.  INORGANIC and METAL mean the same thing.

Coal, ash, pearlash, potash, and a number of other things that come in bars are *not* inorganic.

Copper, iron, gabbro, and marble, etc. etc. are all INORGANIC (or you could also say they are all METAL, if you prefer to use that term) but in the unmodded game there is no way to create gabbro or marble bars, so the reagent line i gave you will work in practice.

You can *create* a distinction between metallic and non-metallic, or any other subcategories you want to create, by adding REACTION_CLASS tokens to all the materials.  Which if you really want to learn right away, I'm sure someone will walk you through it.  But it is a sort of advanced-intermediate modding project because it involves potentially changing every inorganic material, not just adding your reaction, and is totally not necessary to do if you're using bars.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 25, 2014, 03:08:17 pm »

Hello I'm trying to use the display name syndrome token but for some reason it isn't working. What am I doing wrong? The syndrome itself is fine though.

I don't know what happened but it works now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 25, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »

You specify "metal," in the sense that DF understands it, by using INORGANIC.  INORGANIC and METAL mean the same thing.

Coal, ash, pearlash, potash, and a number of other things that come in bars are *not* inorganic
Ahhhhhhhhh, I see!  My Dwarfliness increases!  Thank you very much. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:54 pm »

No problem!  8)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:30 pm »

Does anyone have any sort of completely empty default sort of templates for Raws?

Copying say the Dwarf creature and then editing from there has always kind of bugged me in an OCD type of manner, I'd like some sort of standardized, everything here, remove what's not there. I'd like things to always be in the same places too, it seems like every creature I look at has slightly different placements for some tags. I'd like an HTML sort of <head> than <body> always, you know? I tried to make a few myself while working on other projects, sorting every tag alphabetically, but apparently certain things do need to be ran before other things.

I'm not looking for anyone to go out of their way to build any now, but just wondering if it's ever been a thing before?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:52:43 pm by Vherid »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 25, 2014, 09:52:38 pm »

I don't think anything like that exists, as having every single possible tag and removing what you don't want would probably double the time on modding creatures.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 247