Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313654 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2340 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:44 pm »

Does anyone know what ca be used in the variable positions tokens other than ALL?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:16 pm »

Pretty sure that one accepts responsibility tokens.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 01, 2015, 09:31:42 pm »

Does anyone know a way to make buildings act like floor tiles? I'm working on a mod and I need the embark wagon to act as a sort of "raft" for the castaway dwarves to stand on.

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 02, 2015, 06:13:49 am »

Apologies if this has been asked before-- I searched and failed to find any immediately relevant posts*, so I figured this might be the place to ask.

I've been poking around in the modding section here and have found three mods that I like the sound of. My first instinct was to keep a separate copy of Dwarf Fortress for each mod, but I'd really rather prefer to use them together. The problem is pretty basic: even though none of the mods do the same thing, they all modify the entity_default raw file, and two of them also change the creature_standard file. The three mods in question are All Races Playable 1_4, Kazoo's silk egg mod, and StalsArmourPack_1_7_4020 if it makes any difference or if any of you are familiar with all three.

Is there a way to merge these without having to go through each of the conflicting files line by line with a fine-toothed comb? I'm prepared to do a bit of work (I'm not shouting "fix this for me now!"), but having to manually review each line of the concerned files multiple times to see what matches and what doesn't in the hopes that I can just copy and paste a few sections from one document to the next is really not on my to-do list. Is there a better way to do it?

For the record, I have tried using the mod manager built into the Lazy Newb Pack, but as far as I can tell, it just sees that these mods change the same files and then bounces an error message back to me, rather than trying to merge them.

*I did find a utility that was supposed to handle this sort of thing, DF Mod Manager [0.7.1], but the last post in that thread was from June of 2013, so I assume it's no longer supported.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 02, 2015, 06:21:15 am »

You'll still be looking through things, but not like that, not that manually, not with that much work. Use WinMerge.

Alt-down arrow skips down to the next discrepancy, Alt-right arrow copies it over to that side. Saves tons of time and effort.

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 02, 2015, 06:35:49 am »

You'll still be looking through things, but not like that, not that manually, not with that much work. Use WinMerge.

Alt-down arrow skips down to the next discrepancy, Alt-right arrow copies it over to that side. Saves tons of time and effort.

That sounds obscenely helpful. Downloading it now, and will give it a bash. I'll report back any successes, failures, or difficulties. Any tips, pointers, or things I should be watching out for in advance?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:39:24 am by Ulfgard »

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 02, 2015, 07:27:12 am »

Hmmm... the comparison match-ups can sometimes go haywire when there's a lot of repetition with small differences. You can dumb down the algorithm from Options>Compare.

You'll also want to have an untouched set of current default raws close at hand as a baseline to compare mods against.

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:03 am »

So far, I've (seemingly) sorted out the conflicts between the two creature_standard files. Working on the first set of entity_defaults right now. The latter is going a lot rougher due to quite well actually, given the sheer volume of changes I'm looking at. Actually had to revert quite a few things in this pair because I got midway through and realized I'd loused up the beginning. Or rather, in the process of looking up a tag I didn't recognize, I realized I'd made the wrong changes earlier on and couldn't undo that far back.

Still, this is almost exactly the tool I was looking for! Thank you so much. I wouldn't say it's a painless process, but it's not a struggle either. Just have to be more diligent in looking stuff up.

Edit: Have both the creature_standard and entity_default out of the way-- finished the second one less than two minutes after I'd initially posted this. If progress thus far is anything to go by, things are coming together quite nicely. Just have to work the third file into the mix and it should be golden for testing.  :D

Double edit: Alright, we're primed and ready to test this thing. i have the original files backed up, as well as a backup of each file I've fiddled with. I realize that what I should do is test them incrementally, but I'm feeling a bit like a mad scientist... think I'll just drop the final iteration in and fire it up. If I'm not back with an update in an hour, assume everything went swimmingly. Regardless, expect an update within the next two hours or so. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of WinMerge.
------------------
Initial results seem promising, if not exactly on target. I've experienced one or two minor oddities, but both were the result of my forgetting to transfer over one or two of the "minor" files to the DF directory before testing. That got sorted quickly enough, but it ate up a few minutes at a time and I'm just about at the end of my window for this morning.

Limited testing seems, as I said, promising. The only issue currently outstanding is that I currently seem to be missing nestboxes when playing as the goblins, even though I know I had them before I undertook the merging process. Maybe it's just a fluke of the world generation so far that I've been unable to embark with them-- I didn't think to try that until my last gen for which I had only a couple minutes and was busy testing other aspects to worry too much about trying to build them. That'll be part of my further testing, definitely. Final, in-depth failure or success report pending until then; I should have it by tonight or tomorrow morning.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 10:08:10 am by Ulfgard »

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 02, 2015, 11:26:29 pm »

What are the "itemcorpse" parameters for making a creature leave an eagle feather behind on death?
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 03, 2015, 01:53:28 am »

How would I upgrade this mod http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7194 from 34.11 to 40.24

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 03, 2015, 12:10:15 pm »

What are the "itemcorpse" parameters for making a creature leave an eagle feather behind on death?

I don't think that's possible, but if it is, it might look something like [ITEMCORPSE:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:BIRD_EAGLE:FEATHER]

How would I upgrade this mod http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7194 from 34.11 to 40.24

There's a lot to update. Trees have many new variables, and animals now have gaits that control their movement, instead of using speed tags. There are many new values and personality traits for both entities and creatures, respectively. There's also a few new tokens in regards to what plants a civ has access to, and there is also a new profession, gelding, and a new tool, the stepladder.

Some reactions were moved from hardcode to the raws.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »

Your best starting point would probably be using a tool like windiff to compare that mod to an unmodified set of .34.11 raws. Then, for items in the vanilla raws which were changed by the mod, apply similar changes to a set of .40.24 vanilla raws. And for anything which was added by the mod, look at a few things of similar type (creature, entity, weapon, etc.) in both .34.11 and .40.24, to get an idea of what you need to change to make them work in the new version. Then of course once you think you have everything up to date, generate a few worlds, and try adventure mode with various races, and embarking in fortress mode a few times (at least once with every playable race), checking the error log and playing at least a year or two to find most of the obvious bugs that might creep in.

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: April 03, 2015, 09:54:07 pm »

Hmmm... the comparison match-ups can sometimes go haywire when there's a lot of repetition with small differences. You can dumb down the algorithm from Options>Compare.

You'll also want to have an untouched set of current default raws close at hand as a baseline to compare mods against.

So after spending 10ish hours or so with the game post merge-attempt, it appears that things are working correctly. Took me a couple tries, because I had to copy some stuff over that I'd missed, but now it's all going quite well. At least, I think it is.

I am experiencing a few crashes here and there, but I have no reliable way of telling whether that's a result of jury-rigging the merge, or if it's more due to the fact that I'm playing on a potato. I'm inclined to say it's the latter, but I won't know for sure until I can scrape together the funds for a better machine and test it out there.

In any case, thanks for recommending WinMerge. Did the job beautifully.

RC1359

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Cave Dweller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 04, 2015, 12:12:16 am »

I made a simple "cheat" reaction that would turn specific types of stones into specific types of metals as a test, however if there is none of the specific kind of stone then the reaction will take place without any reagents. If there is any, it will be picked up and consumed as normal. How do I make it so that the reaction won't take place without the reagents? All the necessary information is in place (ie entity tags allowing reactions and such); here is my code for the reaction:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:CONVERT_GABBRO]
[NAME:Convert Gabbro]
[BUILDING:CUSTOM_BUILDING:CUSTOM_G]
[REAGENT:A:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON]
[SKILL:ALCHEMY]
I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the item tokens, however I have no idea on how to fix it.
Chemical Reactions (0.40.x)
The !!!SCIENCE!!! of real life mixed with the !!!FUN!!! of dwarf fortress.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 04, 2015, 12:43:25 am »

[REAGENT:A:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]

Should be:

[REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 247