Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313146 times)

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2490 on: April 26, 2015, 03:01:29 pm »

thanks.

as of realism. I meant this in sense that you won't be able to wear capes because you would have trouble dealing with temperature when you do something other than sitting.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2491 on: April 26, 2015, 11:57:51 pm »

1. Is there any good tutorial to edit creature raws without breaking them ?
If you're concerned about not breaking the raws, just backup them. Here are some modding guides, but they're not about that anyway. You can check the wiki's one though, if you have no any creature modding experience.
WinMerge (or other source code comparing tool) is your friend. Lets you see what you have changed between, say last week's raws and this week's raws. Can make a new copy of the raws folder every week or every day, for example.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge/?source=navbar
I think the main source of creature raws breaking is adding and removing of bodyparts & tissues. skills, sizes, occurrence frequency and occurrence biomes are pretty easy to edit.
Old body parts modding guide to get you started: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Modding_guide#Modding_body_parts
And newer BP guide: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding_guide#Modding_body_parts

Does layer size for metal type armors have huge impact ?
I dunno how huge the impact is, but [LAYERSIZE:40] iron plate is basically undestructable.
DF's ROBE is(was?) mighty good armor against blunt weapons, since system spread the blunt impact around by layersize?
Robe: [UBSTEP:MAX]  [LBSTEP:MAX]  [LAYER:OVER]  [COVERAGE:100]  [LAYER_SIZE:20]
Easy to test in arena: 15 mace+naked dorfs versus 15 mace+silk robe dorfs.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:12:20 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:11 am »

Armor and clothes are weird. Unlike how you'd expect reality to work, the total thickness is significantly affected by the *STEP values. Long sleeves and an ankle-deep hem make any garment pretty hefty.

When the COVERAGE and LAYER_SIZE values of every component is equal, a vest + arm-length gloves + loincloth + chausses arrangement is always thinner than just one robe. That's also why greaves do more to protect the lower body than the breastplate ever will.

You could hypothetically balance the LAYER_SIZE values so that all garments would have the same actual thickness, but I just don't have the formula handy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:30:18 am by scamtank »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:09 am »

I have sort of a general question about the interface.  What triggers the detailed status screen that we see for citizens (narrative description of stats, preferences, dreams, etc.), compared to the basic one (which basically gives sizes and colors)?  I'd like to show the more detailed screen for some modded creatures, if possible.

Simply manipulating mental or physical stats doesn't seem to do it.  For example, something completely ridiculous like [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:3000:3000:3000:3000:5000:5000:5000] ought to generate a statement about being "basically unbreakable" about half the time, but never adds a line to the description in several tests.  I've tried embarking with the critters and using spawn-unit to make some.

I don't think it's the presence of a soul, since I'm using warmist's spawn-unit script which seems to stick a soul into everything.  Unless I misunderstood the code, which is a distinct possibility.  If it is a soul, how can I make sure the creature has one with minimal impact on the creature's behavior?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: April 28, 2015, 10:59:25 am »

A creature with strength at the level you put toughness as will always be called "muscular" in its description if it has muscles. That is the only stat that directly affects a tissue(THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH) and as such is the only one that shows up.

That is the extent of my ability to assist. I assume you are going to need a looping/incrementally-repeating DFHack script or a bin-patch to get the behavior you want and make it consistent.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: April 28, 2015, 11:13:20 am »

A creature with strength at the level you put toughness as will always be called "muscular" in its description if it has muscles. That is the only stat that directly affects a tissue(THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH) and as such is the only one that shows up.

That is the extent of my ability to assist. I assume you are going to need a looping/incrementally-repeating DFHack script or a bin-patch to get the behavior you want and make it consistent.
I'd forgotten about muscular and fat showing up in the descriptions, thanks for the reminder.  But the goal was to get a comment on the status screen about how tough or agile or patient or whatever the critter is (relative to the median for its kind).

I remember the first time I ever pulled up the description of a dwarf and as a new player I though "I'm supposed to take all of that into account managing this guy?"  And then Dwarf Therapist arrived, and all was well.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: April 28, 2015, 05:07:34 pm »

AFAIK it's citizenry that determines that.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: April 29, 2015, 10:33:23 am »

Has anyone ever had any luck getting MISCHIEVOUS or LOCKPICKER tag working on tamed creatures (i.e. they will wander around and continue to pull levers and unlock doors)? I know gremlins abandon the behavior when they are tamed, but I was hoping maybe some other raw tag controlled that to an extent.

My other thought of an approach was a syndrome that would mess with the creature's tags to (ideally temporarily) revert it to a more appropriate state so it could go about it's mischievous business before coming back around to its senses.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:42:46 am by Slogo »

Zemouregal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: April 29, 2015, 07:26:30 pm »

Hi, Im interested in making my own little mods.

I wish to know how to make creatures, semi-megabeats and megabeasts. I plan on making some of the hardest creatures the DF community might ever see, so that may also help.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: April 29, 2015, 07:45:30 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Modding_guide

the trick is

1. copy+paste

2. never forget the wiki's your friend

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: April 29, 2015, 08:00:49 pm »

2. never forget the wiki's your friend
And that every page can be saved as an hmtl file. Doing so loses the images and the links get messed up but if you are gonna mod without internet access it keeps the file sizes low. Some pages will require images to use though.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

LastGreen

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES] [SPHERE:STORMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: April 30, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »

hello, does anyone know the right syntax for this?

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:LAYER]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:EMERALD:5:LAYER_TAIL_SAPPHIRE:2:TAIL_TAIL_AMETHYST:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:tail:SINGULAR]

iv tried just about everything I can think of.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:43:54 pm by LastGreen »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: April 30, 2015, 03:57:44 pm »

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:{TISSUE ID; if this was HAIR it would target all hair on TAIL category bodyparts and SKIN would target all tissues with that ID in the TAIL bodypart}]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:{Valid IDs are in descriptor_ files, IE descriptor_color_standard}:5]
The color AMETHYST is in the vanilla descriptor files but a sapphire color is not.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

LastGreen

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES] [SPHERE:STORMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: April 30, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:{TISSUE ID; if this was HAIR it would target all hair on TAIL category bodyparts and SKIN would target all tissues with that ID in the TAIL bodypart}]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:{Valid IDs are in descriptor_ files, IE descriptor_color_standard}:5]
The color AMETHYST is in the vanilla descriptor files but a sapphire color is not.

hmm it was used for the eyes so I thought it'd be okay. but yeah nvm my question. i figured it out. just needed to add "[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:TAIL]" i guess to give the color mod something to attach too. the tail still existed with out that and was fully functional. I just hope it doesn't start feeling pain now lol.

edit: actually i'd like to ask your opinion on the way I added the tail to the body.

[BODY:TAIL]
      [TISSUE:CRYSTALLINE]
         [TISSUE_NAME:crystalline:crystalline]
         [TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:CRYSTALLINE]
         [STRUCTURAL]
         [RELATIVE_THICKNESS:4]
         [CONNECTS]
         [TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
      [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:TAIL]
      [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:CRYSTALLINE]
      [RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:TAIL:400]

cause I feel like it may not have been the best method to add a custom body part but it did work. though the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN part may have just created a ghost tail.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:29:36 pm by LastGreen »

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 01, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »

Question one: is there a way to mod adv mode interactions so that they only work when a certain body part is injured?
Question 2: Is there a way to injure a specific on of your body parts via a reaction?
Question 3: Is it possible to make a reaction that leaves a coating of contaminant on your opponent?

I'm trying to make an interaction that let's you spit blood if your nose or teeth are damaged.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 247