Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 312930 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2970 on: July 05, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »

To change their name, give the raise interaction [CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:singular:plural:adjective:START:0]

That doesn't work, trust me I've tried.

I encountered this issue as well. I think creatures brought back with the ANIMATE effect just default to corpse, no matter what.

Anyway, I've been trying to recreate the arch-vile from Doom. And I've hit quite a snag here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In this interaction, the arch-vile gives another interaction to its opponent, which sets off an "explosion" of "fire" to the victim. The buggy cave-in mechanics for dust attacks work pretty well for recreating that summoned fire attack. However, I was unable to find a way to directly use the game's hardcoded fire "material", so I instead opted to make an inorganic "fake fire" substance. This is the substance I use for the dust attack.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The idea for the ignition, melting and boiling points was to have the fire "dust", which tends to cover people after a blast, dissipate once it gets into contact with the air. But it doesn't. So my questions: Did I mess something up somewhere? Is there anything I can do to prevent my interaction's dust attack from coating things in this fake fire? If not, is there anyway I can rename the fire so it's different for coatings/piles (so having it still called fire during the initial "blast", but having it named like ash for the contaminants it creates). If that isn't possible either, does anyone have some suggestions to go about this a different way? I've tried other breath attacks, and I feel they don't work nearly as well - and they still coat things. But maybe I'm going about this in an entirely wrong manner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't think you'll be able to not coat things... however there are two ways to get something like what you want: either give the archvile a fireball, or give the target an interaction that transforms them into a special creature made of a material that will spontaneously burst into flames. Be aware that the second option is an instant kill.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: July 05, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »

Thanks Teneb. It seems you're right about the coating, but I've managed to work around it now. Turns out I needed the EVAPORATES token on my fake fire for its contaminants to disappear over time. I've decided to just add a syndrome to the fire that gives severe blisters on contact, to kinda simulate heat damage.

I was considering just giving the arch-vile a fireball/firespray attack, but I wanted to create a decently accurate recreation of its abilities from Doom 2. I also found those hardcoded attacks to be too inflexible for what I was going for.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
  • ENEMIES! We Need Enemies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: July 10, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »

could i get my creature to use an undirected vapor attack always not just if enemies are around?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: July 10, 2015, 06:08:27 pm »

I'm sure it's possible, but can't clearly say how. Try removing (or not adding) the TARGET and USAGE_HINT tags from interaction.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: July 10, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »

Alright, so I'm working on adding some weaponry using special materials, made at a custom shop.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:HEAVYMACE]
[NAME:forge heavy mace]
[BUILDING:SPECIALWEAPON:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:STEEL]
[REAGENT:B:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:LEAD]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MACE_FLANGED:METAL:HEAVYSTEELA]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

Just wanna make sure it's set up right to produce the weapon from the right material, and if not, just lemme know where I messed up.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:08 pm »

If you've got an [INORGANIC:HEAVYSTEELA] defined in your back pocket, yeah that looks right.

Just as an aside, the NO_SUBTYPE and METAL bits in the reagent/product stuff are pretty old and only there for backwards compatibility, really. NONE and INORGANIC are the current good practice - they should work just fine in game, but automatic raw patchers or parsers might pitch a fit reading that reaction.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:05 pm »

Well, considering I used a reaction from the smelter file to get an idea of what I'm doing, I'm not surprised by that.

And I do. The metal in question is for making "lead-cored" blunt weapons, obviously. If I did them right, should be nice and heavy and good at beating a fucker to death in thier armor.

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: July 11, 2015, 02:01:31 am »

I've been working on quite a few mods, and I was wondering how to add new types of appearance modifiers, if there is a way. I've tried to create a second "color" modifier for skin and just changed the name of the modifier and the colors. However, that failed. Currently, I have this-

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:NAIL]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:LIGHTER:1:EASY:1:HEAVY:1:SINKS:1:FLOATS:1:DRIFT:1:STIFF:1]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:buoyancy:SINGULAR]
[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:0:0:0:1:25:50]

Any help would be appreciated. The colors are in a custom colors folder, but I've added the [OBJECT:DESCRIPTOR_COLOR], so I don't think they are the issue. The creature ends up with amber colored cilia nails.
Er, atleast I think that's right.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: July 11, 2015, 02:07:57 am »

Are they actually in their own folder?

They must be in the raw folder; they cannot be in another folder, even if the folder that they are in is also in the raw folder.

Also, is there a full header? You have the [OBJECT:] tag in, but is there a header above that?

By which I mean that the first few lines look something like this?:
descriptor_color_X

[OBJECT:DESCRIPTOR_COLOR]

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: July 11, 2015, 02:13:27 am »

Ah, I didn't realize that was necessary.
I added the descriptor_color in, and now it's adding the "colors", but it is still saying that they are part of the cilia nail instead of buoyancy. I've probably missed something obvious.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: July 11, 2015, 11:26:50 am »

Alright, so I have one last issue before I can release the current version of my mod. My beast entity isn't spawning right. The creature seems to be working fine, as are the "unorganized" wild creatures. Dunno if it's because of the numbers or what. The only thing the error logs give is a few possibly no-longer used words being present in thier "language."

entity_beast

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

[ENTITY:BEAST]
[CREATURE:BEASTENTITY]
[TRANSLATION:HORROR]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:NAME_WAR]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:WAR:VIOLENT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:NAME_BATTLE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:BATTLE:VIOLENT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:NAME_SIEGE]
[SUBSELECT_SYMBOL:SIEGE:VIOLENT]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:ROAD:NAME_ROAD]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:TUNNEL:NAME_TUNNEL]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:BRIDGE:NAME_BRIDGE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:WALL:NAME_WALL]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EVIL]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE]
[SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:DEATH]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:DOMESTIC]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:FLOWERY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:HOLY]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:PEACE]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:NEGATOR]
[CULL_SYMBOL:ALL:GOOD]
[INDOOR_FARMING]

[ABUSE_BODIES]

[SPHERE_ALIGNMENT:WAR:512]

[ART_FACET_MODIFIER:GOOD:0]
[ART_FACET_MODIFIER:EVIL:512]

[FRIENDLY_COLOR:0:0:1]

[SETTLEMENT_BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY]
[LIKES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[LIKES_SITE:TREE_CITY]
[TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
[START_BIOME:ANY_LAND]
[BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND]

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:1]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SPRING]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:SUMMER]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN]
[ACTIVE_SEASON:WINTER]
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:15]
[MAX_POP_NUMBER:20000]
[MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:2000]
[ITEM_THIEF]
[SIEGER][AMBUSHER]

[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TREASON:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:LYING:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:VANDALISM:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:TRESPASSING:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:THEFT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:ASSAULT:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:SLAVERY:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:NOT_APPLICABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:NOT_APPLICABLE]

[POSITION:MONARCH]
[NAME_MALE:horde lord:horde lords]
[NAME_FEMALE:horde lord:horde lords]
[NUMBER:1]
[SUCCESSION:BY_HEIR]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:BUILD_MORALE]
[PRECEDENCE:1]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[COLOR:0:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]

ThatZommy

• Bay Watcher
  • Am royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: July 11, 2015, 12:17:08 pm »

Well, the first thing I've noticed is a lack of any clothes or tools. Is this purposeful? It might be causing the issues, but I don't do much entity modding. But if it has to do with the language then I'm not sure. Perhaps the language creating mod you've used is out of date or something.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: July 11, 2015, 12:28:19 pm »

Clothing and tools aren't strictly needed (nor would they serve any purpose to what are in effect wild animals, just much more belligerent and numerous than the wild versions.) I've used an entity without such things in the past.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: July 11, 2015, 01:08:12 pm »

Alright, so I have one last issue before I can release the current version of my mod. My beast entity isn't spawning right. The creature seems to be working fine, as are the "unorganized" wild creatures. Dunno if it's because of the numbers or what. The only thing the error logs give is a few possibly no-longer used words being present in thier "language."
What do you mean by not spawning right? Are they appearing and then dying out? Not spreading? Are they just straight up not appearing?

Also, [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND] should be [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAND:X], where X is a number (not useful in this case, but higher means more likely to settle there).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
  • ENEMIES! We Need Enemies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: July 11, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

my creature will act normally then just stop moving all the sudden anyone know why?
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 247