Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313394 times)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 02:39:48 am »

I mean, does the SMELL_TRIGGER determine how good sense of smell is?

Lower is better iirc.  Humans have 90, which is a poor sense of smell, while elves have 10, which is very keen.  Bronze colossi have 10000, which makes them unable to smell.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 02:41:21 am »

Have been working on figuring out tree parameters. I haven't gotten as far as I would like, but:

Trunk_period: no idea. Couldn't notice any differences at all from changing this, under various conditions.
branch densities: as you would expect, they create more often branches of that type.
max trunk height: the highest height of A trunk tile, not necessarily in a straight line.
heavy branch radius: seems to be the radius heavy branches can occur at. Does not depend on the trunk branching amount or where trunks are. You can actually have trunks branch out further than heavy branches do. So if this is = 1, you will have heavy branches in a 3x3 area around the center, period.
branch radius: similar.
trunk branching: Seems to be a combination of how "branchy" the shape is (twisting around, not straight line) PLUS how wide out the reach, in one parameter
^again, all three of these seem almost independent of one another. Branching of trunk can seemingly go out further than other branches do, for instance.
max trunk diameter: seems to only affect the base of the tree, and only go up to a max of 3x3 in size, no matter what you set.

Also, trees appear to be limited to a 7x7 area above their first tile in width, no matter what parameters you set. If you set all the branching radii and everything super high, you just get fully filled 7x7 rectangles going up. As you set them lower, it will take on different more or less filled oval shapes.

Also, biomes or perhaps temperatures or something can affect these variables. I have a world with ONLY one species of tree in existence, and on some embarks, it has 3x3 trunks all over the place and massive 7x7 canopies. And on other embarks, they are exclusively 1x1 initial trunks and tiny canopies ??? I haven't made any rhyme or reason out of it.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2014, 02:54:06 am »

Also if you have cavern creatures to port, there's a [LOW_LIGHT_VISION] token if you haven't [EXTRAVISION].  This appears to work the other way about from the [SMELL_TRIGGER] token, higher values means seeing better in the dark. 

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2014, 02:55:04 am »

[TRUNK_PERIOD:1]
   [HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:0]
   [BRANCH_DENSITY:0]
   [MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:1]
   [HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:0]
   [BRANCH_RADIUS:0]
   [TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
   [MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:1]
   [TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:1]
   [ROOT_DENSITY:0]
   [ROOT_RADIUS:0]

Will create 1x1x3 tall trees, that yield 3 logs each. I can't seem to make them any smaller than that. They appear to be ignoring my instructions of maximum 1 trunk height.

The game crashes at embark if you make the PERIOD variables 0. And it makes no trees at all if you make trunk width or height 0.

Which could actually be somewhat useful for a challenge mod, samanato:
1) Make a few species of trees in a biome
2) Make most of them have trunk size 0
3) make one of them be the minimal 1x1x3. But its frequency means it will be fairly sparse compared to how heavily forested the area is supposed to be.

ta da! less lumber overall.  However, this risks the random dice deciding that that species isn't there at all, thus zero trees, which is annoying for players.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:57:34 am by GavJ »

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 03:13:14 am »

Another promising option is that when he puts the falling fruit in, we can make no-log trees (which you can now do it looks like with TREE:NONE:NONE), and instead make "fruit" that uses log icons and is made out of wood, and then reactions to "dry" or "saw" it or whatever to make into real usable wood, in lower, more controllable quantities.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:58 am »

Can anyone think of a way to make a creature immortal now? Since pulping was added a swift punch or kick to what was once an immortal creature's chest results in instant death. And jumping into magma or setting the arena temperature to dragonfire seems to melt the creature even though its materials have the following tags. Setting it to absolute zero will also freeze it to death.

[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]

Did you select all the tissues beforehand? An alternative would be FIXED_TEMP that makes the creature unable to receive any temperature changes.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:49 am »

Maybe this is not the right place to ask, but making a new monster is now even more difficult then ever. I wasn't great at it before, but the monster worked, now it doesn't. Isn't there a guide or walktrough on how to do it? Or could someone make it? Step by step, what to put where and such?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 10:18:26 am »

Weapon raws have changed, as well as trap components and ammo. Not shields, oddly enough, which you can bash with. Mostly placing new stuff as I find them if I think it's unreported yet.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 10:30:20 am »

Weapon raws have changed, as well as trap components and ammo. Not shields, oddly enough, which you can bash with. Mostly placing new stuff as I find them if I think it's unreported yet.

Changed how? Due to the pulping and added usefulness of blunt weapons, I'll assume?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:36 am »

Changed how? Due to the pulping and added usefulness of blunt weapons, I'll assume?
New sword:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
[NAME:short sword:short swords]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

Old sword:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
[NAME:short sword:short swords]
[SIZE:300]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

There doesn't seem to any pulping raws. I guess that's tied to blunt attacks.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 10:41:39 am »

3:3? Hm. It appears all weapons have the same Attack prepare/recover number currently. This is probably a huge effect on balance at the moment.

Correction: Whips have 4:4. I assume higher is longer preparation, and knives should be something like 2:1 instead of the same as a warhammer's 3:3
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:43:28 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2014, 10:43:13 am »

3:3? Hm. It appears all weapons have the same Attack prepare/recover number currently. This is probably a huge effect on balance at the moment.
Whips have 4:4, but yeah.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2014, 10:43:51 am »

Yep, attempted to edit but 500's everywhere

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2014, 10:48:07 am »

I feel your pain.

I am not sure yet, but I feel like in [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3] mean you need 3 ticks to prepare and 3 to recover from the attack. So I guess you could make a fast attack with a long recovery time for something like swinging a pole-weapon, and the opposite for something else.

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2014, 10:53:05 am »

Can anyone think of a way to make a creature immortal now? Since pulping was added a swift punch or kick to what was once an immortal creature's chest results in instant death. And jumping into magma or setting the arena temperature to dragonfire seems to melt the creature even though its materials have the following tags. Setting it to absolute zero will also freeze it to death.

[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]

Did you select all the tissues beforehand? An alternative would be FIXED_TEMP that makes the creature unable to receive any temperature changes.

Those were in the material_template_*.txt file for just the bones of the creature. The rest of it is standard fat/skin/muscle/etc. I added this to the creature raws and it seems to be able to survive both dragonfire and absolute zero in the arena now.

[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:ALL]
[FIXED_TEMP:10067]

Does anyone have any ideas for how to work around the pulping issue? I'd rather it be as immortal as possible. Nearly anything from Putnam's DBZ mod manages to OHKO it if it lands a hit on the UPPERBODY body part.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 247