Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313605 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #420 on: July 19, 2014, 02:20:24 pm »

I would like some opinions on the speeds of hydras, dragons, balors, thunderbirds and rocs. Flight, walk and crawl speeds.
Here are some DF-world and real-world kph speeds to compare them to: (note: Toady's GAITS.TXT has in 1 kph increments)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:22:17 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 19, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »

Just a general question: is it possible to turn the beastman races into full-fledged civilizations?
Yes, in fact, check out Blood for Armok because I already have.

Actually, I thought about making each kind of beastmen have its own civ, not them all being a single one.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 19, 2014, 03:35:36 pm »

Is there a way to make regions of the world have more sane names, than something like "Scintillating March"?
._.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 19, 2014, 03:39:53 pm »

Is there a way to make regions of the world have more sane names, than something like "Scintillating March"?
FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_(territory)
hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurmark <--a real world example of a place that translates to "Electoral March"

That name isn't that weird. Although yes, sometimes they are.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 19, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »

So I tried to make a peaceful_intermittent animal and the error log says it isn't recognized, i've triple checked the spelling.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 19, 2014, 04:26:57 pm »

So I tried to make a peaceful_intermittent animal and the error log says it isn't recognized, i've triple checked the spelling.
What's the full sound token you're trying to add?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:08 pm »

Actually, I thought about making each kind of beastmen have its own civ, not them all being a single one.
They all have the same type of government and ethics, but each beastman has its own group. There are almost always 5 beastman civs per world, so five kinds of beastmen.

Bazrum

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »

I am horrible at modding but I love the megabeasts you guys come up with. Can someone tell me the changes I need to make to the custom beasts to have them in the new version? I know I need to add necks and smell but can't think of anything else...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 19, 2014, 06:12:00 pm »

I am horrible at modding but I love the megabeasts you guys come up with. Can someone tell me the changes I need to make to the custom beasts to have them in the new version? I know I need to add necks and smell but can't think of anything else...

New gait tokens to affect movement speeds, and a new attack prepare/recover token to affect attack speeds.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 19, 2014, 06:27:52 pm »

What's the full sound token you're trying to add?

[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:10:1:NONE:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED]

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #430 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »

[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:10:1:NONE:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED:ER 404 NO FAE RING DETECTED]
Try [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:50:15000:VOCALIZATION:bark:barks:a bark]
I think the NONE in your is messing it up.
First number is loudness (distance in squares), second is time ticks. (vanilla: 1000 for alarm, 10000 peaceful).

More from my OldGenesis orc citizens:

Y'all can have my ready-for-copypaste GAITS template:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:36:46 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:29 pm »

Try [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:50:15000:VOCALIZATION:bark:barks:a bark]
I think the NONE in your is messing it up.
First number is loudness (distance in squares), second is time ticks. (vanilla: 1000 for alarm, 10000 peaceful).

More from my OldGenesis orc citizens:

Y'all can have my ready-for-copypaste GAITS template:

That fixed it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:53 pm »

Anybody know what the GROWTH_TIMING numbers refer to, specifically? I know they're when the growth is there, but I don't know what the units are.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2014, 12:58:41 am »

My guess is that it's the time of year measured in Fort Mode ticks. So for example, a growth with 0:1200 would only appear for the first day of each year. Not very sure about this though.

On a similar note, anyone know what the arguments for GROWTH_PRINT are? For an example, here is a strawberry's growth print:
Code: [Select]
[GROWTH_PRINT:'%':7:4:0:1:120000:200000:3]
My guess is that the first two are tile numbers, and the next three are the growth's colours, followed by their timing. But I don't have much of an idea as to what the last argument is.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 20, 2014, 12:01:42 pm »

Well, I have my modded creatures working in v40.03.  The first thing they did after spawning was climb up a tree in fear.  In short, they are acting like every other wild animal in the game :)

Parts of the mod will rely on DFHack to minimize reliance on boil-away stones, but I have a question about best practices when the mod is ready to share.

The mod will include its own building_, creature_, inorganic_, interaction_ and reaction_ raw files; a tiny graphics pack; a DFHack script; and a blurb of permitted buildings and reactions to be inserted into entity_default.  There are two bits that tell me just a ZIP file won't cut it.

First, I'd rather not overwrite the player's entity_default file.  It's unlikely that mine is the only mod running on that machine.

Second, the inorganic_ file and graphics pack should be adjusted to match the player's settings.  I think I can expect an ASCII purist using Vanilla to delete the creature graphics, but the inorganic_ file is more complicated.  Several minerals are "hidden" and are supposed to blend in with the surrounding layer stone... but some graphics packs change the stone raws.

My current solution is to have the player use search-and-replace to pick the appropriate camouflage.  For example:

This will look like a rock salt tile until it is mined out, at least if you pick the right graphics set (the "debug" pack makes the tile stick out like a sore thumb).  Under normal conditions it would be very hard to locate the hidden minerals even with DFHack's prospect and reveal commands, though the game will helpfully announce if you've struck hidden gems (valuable) or living stone (dangerous).

I think one cut-and-paste and a couple search-and-replaces are within the technical capabilities of anyone who'd download a small mod from the forum, but it just feels unfinished.  Is anyone familiar with doing sed-like file processing in DFHack?  That would let me use one script to insert the entity tokens and adapt the inorganic_ file to any graphics set, even those not popular enough to be in the Starter Pack.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:07:24 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 247