Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 313388 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »

I'm experimenting a lot with the
MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER
MAX_POP_NUMBER
MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER
in the entity_default.txt
and
TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER
TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION
SITE_CAP
from worlgen.txt

And when giving the same settings i want to every civs from the entity file, i finally managed to get roughly the level of populations i wanted in those civs sites, excepted for the goblins population that skyrocket sometime highly in their dark fortress for reason i can't find.

Is there anything where it says that the goblins must have in a dark fortress (not the dark pits that get reasonnable values according to what i expect from the settings in the entity file) more than 4 times the number of population of the most populated site of other civilisations ?

It's something i observed with the default DF raws and worldgen values, and can still see with my custom ones.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #511 on: July 28, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Yes, and it's very convoluted. It involves separating a limb from a creature, animating (ANIMATE interaction) the limb and transforming it into an intermediate creature, killing that intermediate creature then resurrecting (RESURRECT interaction) it and transforming it again.

Oh lord.. I remember experimenting with that.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

tuuli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:53 pm »

Yes, and it's very convoluted. It involves separating a limb from a creature, animating (ANIMATE interaction) the limb and transforming it into an intermediate creature, killing that intermediate creature then resurrecting (RESURRECT interaction) it and transforming it again.

Ha! That's the level of madness I expected. Who needs all those vexing fingers anyway. Although... how would I sever the limb in question?

I guess animating the limb before severing it is of no use since it's not a thing of its own then yet. Oh well, off to the test chamber...

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »

Ha! That's the level of madness I expected. Who needs all those vexing fingers anyway. Although... how would I sever the limb in question?

I guess animating the limb before severing it is of no use since it's not a thing of its own then yet. Oh well, off to the test chamber...

You can skip the animation part. Just make a resurrect interaction that doesn't have IS_FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION it will find any servered part and resurrect it, so slap the transform on it too and blam-o. no need for extra animation.

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2014, 08:40:41 pm »

MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER
In my experience the game largely ignores this one(consider that all default civs have it set at 120, but in all site types the actual number often goes way above this).  As far as I can tell the total amount of critters that can exist in a given site is currently hard coded as of right now.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 28, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »

You can skip the animation part. Just make a resurrect interaction that doesn't have IS_FIT_FOR_RESURRECTION it will find any severed part and resurrect it, so slap the transform on it too and blam-o. no need for extra animation.

Wait, how do you separate the body part? Do you stick it to your dwarves in some way so that they fall off when needed? Do you just have the reaction make it? Does that work?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 28, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »

Wait, how do you separate the body part? Do you stick it to your dwarves in some way so that they fall off when needed? Do you just have the reaction make it? Does that work?

One way I know of is to make the dwarf temporarily transform into a creature that immediately loses a body part, and then the dwarf changes back to normal without any damage.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:33 pm »

One way I know of is to make the dwarf temporarily transform into a creature that immediately loses a body part, and then the dwarf changes back to normal without any damage.

Wouldn't that also heal any wounds that the dwarf had at the time?
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:34 pm »

Wouldn't that also heal any wounds that the dwarf had at the time?

Yea, and that includes missing limbs being restored.

Transformations are basically instaheals.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »

So in order to make a new creature, what you do is turn your dwarf into a creature that immediately melts off a bit on the end of a stalk or something, resurrects that bit, then reverts back to dwarf. Then the bit transforms into what you want to make?

How did the modding community even figure this out? newfound respect

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:19 am »

MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER
In my experience the game largely ignores this one(consider that all default civs have it set at 120, but in all site types the actual number often goes way above this).  As far as I can tell the total amount of critters that can exist in a given site is currently hard coded as of right now.

I found this bug report on the tracker :
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7547

With comments from cephalo that is implying that all those worldgen and raws control are only actually controlling the historical figures, not the non historical ones (all those bunches of non named "goblins" by example) and that's the source of the problem when you try to keep population number under control.

Hmm, that could explain why whatever i enter as number to obtain low population, i'm still seeing goblin population in dark fortress still skyrocketing, because we have no way to control the real population of a civ, only the historical figure one.
But even so, with my experiment to keep civs population under a playable state, dwarves, elves and humans population number seems to work to my expectations according to my settings changes, it's the goblins that are the real problem (making the areas around dark fortress unplayable in adventure mode) with thousand of populations in dark fortresses.
So there's probably some hardcoded multiplier for dark fortress pop we can't do anything about.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:38:11 am by Robsoie »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #521 on: July 29, 2014, 11:00:04 am »

In case y'all modders didn't know:
add [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:220] to the d_init.txt to make migrants appear. Change happened between .03 and .05.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:40 am »

So in order to make a new creature, what you do is turn your dwarf into a creature that immediately melts off a bit on the end of a stalk or something, resurrects that bit, then reverts back to dwarf. Then the bit transforms into what you want to make?

How did the modding community even figure this out? newfound respect
You basically make a 3 part creature, with a body, limb, and hand and the limb is made out of a material that instantly sublimates at room temperature.

As for how it was discovered, one day D_E just came forward with the idea in this thread.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2014, 05:19:14 pm »

Is there any plan to make a .40-compatible version of Dwarf Therapist for OSX?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2014, 05:36:17 pm »

Is there any plan to make a .40-compatible version of Dwarf Therapist for OSX?
One already exists, give me a moment and I'll pull up the link.

Edit: And here it is, should work for both 40.04 and .05. Generally you just need to check the last few pages of the Therapist thread to find the OSX download link each time a new version comes out.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 247