Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316601 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1800 on: December 30, 2014, 03:54:04 pm »

Would it be possible to create a gelding-like reaction at a workshop, only instead of actually gelding, it removes another bodypart?

The idea I had in mind would be modding a 'throat gland' into dragons or other dangerous emission spewing creatures, and having the BP required for emission be said throat gland. Therefore, if you have a tamed dragon or similar beastie and you want their wrecking power but without  the risk of everything burning down, you can take them to the butchery and have the throat gland cut out.

Gelding is hardcoded. You cannot make a reaction that designates an animal to be brought to a workshop and have an action performed on them.

However, what you want can still be done. You can create a reaction that creates a stone. This stone will have its temperature set so that it will boil immediately, creating a cloud. The stone will also carry a syndrome that would only affect dragons and would disable their throat gland. All you would have to do is pasture your dragons onto the workshop.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 30, 2014, 04:05:01 pm »

Putting the finishing touches on my fairy dragon.  I'd like it to have chitinous (i.e. butterfly) wings.  Is this possible for a vertebrate, considering that chitin has a different set of associated tissues?  Also, perhaps more importantly, could I make the wings a different color from the rest of the body?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »

Putting the finishing touches on my fairy dragon.  I'd like it to have chitinous (i.e. butterfly) wings.  Is this possible for a vertebrate, considering that chitin has a different set of associated tissues?  Also, perhaps more importantly, could I make the wings a different color from the rest of the body?

You can add materials and tissues independently of body detail plans, and you can apply tissues to specific body parts. The only problem would be keeping the wings from having skin/muscle/bone/etc. due to the vertebrate detail plan.

You can make wings a different colour. Here's an example, modified from birds:
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:WING:CHITIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLUE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:wings:PLURAL]

It would make their wings blue.

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 30, 2014, 06:11:10 pm »

A quick question about the behavior of BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER

I note LENGTH, HEIGHT, BROADNESS... my question is, are each selected consistently:

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
      [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
      [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]

So... if it's going to be 105%... is it for all three at once, or can it be 90, 102, 95?  If the latter, is there one that IS consistent but random?  *_MODIFIER:ALL:X:Y:Z:etc?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:19 pm »

The modifiers are all independent. You can have someone who is tall but thin and another who is tall and wide.

However, I do not know the arguments that can be entered in the tag, so I don't know if there is an ALL option.

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: December 31, 2014, 10:28:31 am »

Aw, that's too bad... was hoping that 'monstrous' versions of creatures could be highly variable in size... from like 100-500%... but if they can be 500% tall and 100% wide... it gets a bit weird.

On a barely related note, another question, re:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HORN:BONE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:SILVER:1:PEARL:1:CREAM:1:BEIGE:1:IVORY:1:WHITE:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:many-pronged antlers:PLURAL]

I'm trying to improve descriptions a bit as I flesh out animals, and for DEER, I need an additional descriptor under the male caste; I had a similar problem in the past with bird beaks and someone helped me out by indicating that it was BEAK:BONE... but in this case, I've yet to get the antlers to show up.

I've tried 2HEAD_ANTLER:BONE, :HORN... ANTLER:BONE, :HORN... obviously tried HORN:BONE... etc.  So on the one hand, I'm hoping for a tip off as to the right identifier combination... but maybe also to be schooled a bit on how to read the body tags to figure this out for myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 11:24:05 am by jeturcotte »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:36 am »

Aw, that's too bad... was hoping that 'monstrous' versions of creatures could be highly variable in size... from like 100-500%... but if they can be 500% tall and 100% wide... it gets a bit weird.

On a barely related note, another question, re:

[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HORN:BONE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:SILVER:1:PEARL:1:CREAM:1:BEIGE:1:IVORY:1:WHITE:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:many-pronged antlers:PLURAL]

I'm trying to improve descriptions a bit as I flesh out animals, and for DEER, I need an additional descriptor under the male caste; I had a similar problem in the past with bird beaks and someone helped me out by indicating that it was BEAK:BONE... but in this case, I've yet to get the antlers to show up.

I've tried 2HEAD_ANTLER:BONE, :HORN... ANLTER:BONE, :HORN... obviously tried HORN:BONE... etc.  So on the one hand, I'm hoping for a tip off as to the right identifier combination... but maybe also to be schooled a bit on how to read the body tags to figure this out for myself.
I'll walk you through the vanilla deer, though that's probably not the creature you have in mind.
If a creature has more than one BODY token, the bodyplans are simply added together.  It would be possible to define most of a deer early in the creature file and just add [BODY:2HEAD_ANTLER] in the male caste, but in the case of vanilla deer each caste has its own full BODY definition.  In any case, we're looking at the 2HEAD_ANTLER bodyplan.
There is an attack defined that uses BY_CATEGORY:HORN as its enabling bobypart.  This is fortunate, because it means we don't need to dive down into the bodyplan files to figure out what is what.
So we can select the antlers  as BY_CATEGORY:HORN and apply modifiers to them.  The deer only has tissue-layer modifiers, but the dwarf has plenty of body-part modifiers to use as templates.
Code: [Select]
[SET_BP_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HORN]
[BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
[APP_MOD_NOUN:antlers:PLURAL]
[APP_MOD_DESC_RANGE:91:94:98:102:106:109]
There are several descriptor types to use, but you can't define your own.  I think all of them are referenced in the creature_standard.txt file.  If you really, really feel the need to make up your own descriptors, you can fake it with "color patterns".  If I recall correctly, the modded Succubus race uses extensive use of that work-around.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: December 31, 2014, 01:36:34 pm »

=( Sadly, no such luck... apologies, but here's a full definition for the 'dread' version of the white-tailed deer (in my mods i've been working on the standard mundane creature, plus a dread/evil version, a holy/good version, and a savage/giant version of each... I began with trying to be clever and using layer upon layer of creature variation to just apply adjustments to each, but that didn't work out very well due to inexperience.  For now, I've just allowed full definitions like the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... in the case of some birds, I did SELECT_CASTE:ALL first because the sexual dimorphism wasn't about size or shape, but just coloration... but in the case of these guys, not only do the males have antlers, but are often twice as heavy as the females, hence SELECT_CASTE:ALL afterward... further, to avoid 'the maths' I use CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC for dread, holy, and giant to retain consistency.

ANYHOW, despite BY_CATEGORY:HORN, no description of the antlers are showing up, though they do show as body parts in the wounds/health list.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 31, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »

It should be BY_CATEGORY:HORN:HORN, I believe - body part:tissue.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 31, 2014, 04:32:08 pm »

You tried to apply a tissue-layer appearance modifier before applying any tissues.

You can keep things mostly as they are, just at the very end select the male caste again and apply the antler colors.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 31, 2014, 08:14:14 pm »

In a custom building, is there any way to make the background color of a tile correspond to the material it's built from, rather then the foreground?

Also, what's the ASCII code for the symbol in the upper-right-hand corner of the still?   It looks like a:

Except it has only one line going down.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 31, 2014, 09:59:11 pm »

I do stuff, I guess

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 31, 2014, 10:23:58 pm »

Thanks!

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 31, 2014, 11:52:15 pm »

*Deep breath*

A year ago, I attempted to create a graphics set but quit due to how frustrating it was working with DF's graphics. Genders and skeletons couldn't be independently textured, and many things on the map were tied to the tileset file instead of their own graphics files. Many of the same tools shared the same ASCII graphics, and buildings could not be retextured.

But after I received a PM from Meph and saw this reddit post, my interested was piqued! It seems that in the past year, many moves have been made towards making DF's graphics more moddable. But...how moddable are DF's graphics right now? I'm aware that there's a myraid of tools out there that offer more customization, but I still don't know what's unchangeable. So...
  • Can you create unique genders and skeletal graphics now?
  • Can you change map screen icons?
  • Can transparent graphics be layered onto ground tiles?
  • Can obstacles such as ramps and channels be textured?
  • Can unique tiles be created for buildings and features in cities?
  • Can menus and GUI be altered?
  • How are weapons and armors retextured? What are the limitations of those?
  • How are buildings retextured? What are their limitations?
Hopefully, someone will be able to help me out. I'd really like to know what's possible now before I commit to restarting my tileset.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 31, 2014, 11:59:23 pm »

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. No.
5. No.
6. No.
7. They aren't, except with 3rd party utilities.
8. They aren't, except with 3rd party utilities.

(Text Will Be Text is the utilities)
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 247