Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 109130 times)

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:40 am »

I am enjoying these stories of flying things exploding and the new conversations.

15/10
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:35 am »

Has anyone found out why we have Metal Thrones instead of anvils in these world gen forges? I am going to melt them down for steel.

Steel Anvils are worth a ridiculous amount, so Toady probably swapped anvils out for thrones to make it less exploity.

Or you know, you could use iron anvils... Just a crazy thought  ;D
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37:50 am »

He he he, in any case, the thrones are not there on purpose.  One of the weird bug reports so far, really.  At least I could understand where all the mystery babies might have come from, but thrones...  why are there thrones?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2014, 01:09:08 am »

This round I drank my own tears combined with vampire blood til I was full (cat-bathed it off all my equipment, haha..) and then ate vampiric human brains :> Now I've arrived in the capital (or was interrupted walking through the capital) with a "You feel uneasy." message (it was a vampire-swordsman running around town.. scared of an olm person) :) Good times all the way around :>

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2014, 01:16:10 am »

The linux version seems to crash quite unexpectedly, and to hang for inordinate amounts of time during the "Updating world" screen showing the calendar. (upwards of 5 minutes)

[mint qiana, 64bit, with 32bit libs, i7 processor, 8gb ram]

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2014, 01:32:37 am »

Started as human adventurer, and immediately took quest to hunt down an elf vampire.
No one knew where to find this bloodsucker, but one of my neighbours, farmer, knew a swordsman, who knew a dwarven ranger, who knew a goblin trader who knew were vampire MIGHT be. After I found goblin, he said that bloodthirsty elf is somewhere underground. Awesome, goddamit.
Week later I found dwarven outpost, and went to the caverns. Not that I had any chances finding vampire, but out of curiosity I took two dwarven farmers with me and descended into darkness... only to get my arm ripped off by cave crocodile. The worst\best part? When dwarves saw croc, they screamed for help and ran back to the fortress. And left me to die.

I strangled crocodile, butchered, took his bones and beat to death these traitors. Felt good.
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:01 am »

The linux version seems to crash quite unexpectedly, and to hang for inordinate amounts of time during the "Updating world" screen showing the calendar. (upwards of 5 minutes)

Mac can take upwards of an hour.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2014, 01:43:38 am »

The calendar's two weeks of world gen are unoptimised, so if you have a large world, they hurt. I'm also running Mint and I hardly noticed it on a pocket world. Also, still no crashes!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 09, 2014, 01:48:42 am »

Got it running stable on gentoo linux x64 kernel 3.15.3 for some hours now on a huge world mit 125 years.
So far no problems with the calendar but I keep going on that.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2014, 01:58:03 am »

Looks like my master carpenter has been training with the caravan guards or something, since he's developed a whole bunch of dabbling military skills and there are no reports.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:24 am »

Yes, small / pocket worlds work, I tried genning a medium sized one on my work computer (which is reasonably fast and new) and stopped after year 400 something (took a couple of hours to get there, probably too many entities, highest # of civs and beasts selected).
Loading / saving the current (newest) fort works for me. I created a new world and now when loading the game crashes... let's see if that can be reproduced...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2014, 04:40:00 am »

First impressions: Ruin reclamation is neat, even if the layouts would drive anyone with a symmetry issue mad with rage.

Most dwarves appearing to either be complete cowards or peace-loving hippies is something I find deeply, deeply disturbing, and even against single threats that your side clearly outnumbers may cause dwarves without a very high thrill seeker type personality value to run away immediately. This cripples the fort mode military and frankly it's a little jarring since before dwarves would fight to the death to protect thier home and loved ones when told/needed to. I don't want to rely on traps to deal with things, that crap's for gnomes and people who like overly elaborate or resource intensive murder projects.

Also dwarves will be hilariously melodramatic about bruises, which I weirdly find awesome. Also, eggplants. Eggplants for everyone.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2014, 04:50:28 am »

I have entered into the room, full of goblins, in sneak mode (novice skill) & start killing them & nobody knows where I am...
Sneak need to be hardly nerfed!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:55:11 am by Burmalay »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:48 am »

Hating all the crashes but with a new update like this they're to be expected. I really like all the new plants, although I find myself having to google a lot of them to figure out what they are. I never even heard of foxtail millet until today.

The new multitile trees work better than I expected. I was a little worried that they might clog up the screen in some way but that's not the case. Still, it would be nice to have some visual cue that tells you when you're under the canopy, like darker tiles or something.

I haven't been able to play long enough to see any other interesting features as I keep losing forts to crashes.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2014, 05:57:08 am »

He he he, in any case, the thrones are not there on purpose.  One of the weird bug reports so far, really.  At least I could understand where all the mystery babies might have come from, but thrones...  why are there thrones?

Maybe DF has become a game of thrones. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44