Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108914 times)

siri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2014, 11:33:04 am »

day 8 of the 10 day bikini cleanse: chicory, celery and garlic salad with carrot wine (!?). morality is at an all time low. nevermind, actually they don't seem to care.

has anyone seen any bee or ant colonies? i only find 3 on my map and they all float above the ocean. next to the giant albatross, that never moves.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2014, 11:40:59 am »

Non-dwarf hostility is up. My first goblin raid stopped to pincushion a herd of wild muskoxen that was wandering through. Although this is much better than having hostiles walk past each other, it does have a downside: a couple forgotten beasts in the caverns are wiping out all the underground wildlife. I don't care about the crundles, but my fortress has lost valuable giant cave spiders and cave crocodiles.

Relatedly, gremlins appear to be announced whenever any wildlife stumbles upon them, leading to "pause-and-recenter" of unexplored edge tiles. It's a sad day for gremlins now that the entire world has turned against them.

Forgotten beasts of "soft" materials no longer fall apart the first time they get hit--a definite improvement. A "grime and filth" humanoid has survived a number of wildlife battles, suggesting they are no longer laughably frail.

I had a vampire take to wandering the map edges with "No job" after I reassigned her to a different squad. I ordered her to move to station and she just stopped and stood there. I deactivated her from the military, built a lever, profiled it for her, and ordered it pulled on repeat, and she still wandered around with "No job". Finally, the vampire went "On break", drained a sleeping dwarf, and only then took the lever pulling job. I dropped her in the caverns, and she went right back to wandering the map edges.

MasacruAlex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:49 pm »

Hey, do graphic mods work with this version? Can you recommend any?

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #348 on: July 10, 2014, 12:09:41 pm »

I will download this one after most fatal bugs are fixed or someone can offer simple and clean tileset. Graphical tileset...

As far as I know there is at least one tileset ready by now (ironhand).

Installed phoebus last night.

Too shiny...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 10, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

Demons are horrified by combat... which is a little... out of character?

Moslostror, Soot Monster: Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 10, 2014, 12:20:04 pm »

War animals behave the same, which leads em to believe animals intended to be predators or fighting companions are gonna need some serious work so they'll attack instead of fleeing immediately.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2014, 12:31:27 pm »

War animals behave the same, which leads em to believe animals intended to be predators or fighting companions are gonna need some serious work so they'll attack instead of fleeing immediately.

That made me think, maybe different kinds of creatures could have different ways of feeling fear?
Sentient creatures will basically act like they (are supposed to) act now.
While animal predators will ignore bodies but be more susceptible to fleeing when injured.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Magnusen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2014, 01:35:06 pm »

I noticed that it's extremely quick to generate world history now. Generated a pocket world and took 3-4 seconds to go to year 1050. Also noticed that in a medium world at year 93 there was 30+ elven forest retreats all grouped in a area. This is going to be interesting.
Edit: Making a xml of world legends in taking much less time. Very good.
Elves seen to really like jaguars and grizzly bears. Their population outnumbers then on elven sites according to legends viewer. The same thing happens to goblins, but they like trolls instead.
Other civs seems to be thriving with high populations. Goblins and Kobolds that in the previous version (at least in my case) didn't get past year 50  are now in the thousands.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:55:24 pm by Magnusen »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2014, 02:07:09 pm »

I noticed that it's extremely quick to generate world history now. Generated a pocket world and took 3-4 seconds to go to year 1050. Also noticed that in a medium world at year 93 there was 30+ elven forest retreats all grouped in a area. This is going to be interesting.
Edit: Making a xml of world legends in taking much less time. Very good.
Elves seen to really like jaguars and grizzly bears. Their population outnumbers then on elven sites according to legends viewer. The same thing happens to goblins, but they like trolls instead.
Other civs seems to be thriving with high populations. Goblins and Kobolds that in the previous version (at least in my case) didn't get past year 50  are now in the thousands.

Problem is fort mode is miserably slow in world with long history.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2014, 02:10:32 pm »

It's made slightly better by the fact it's a pocket world, however.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2014, 02:11:20 pm »

every time i've tried a "one with everything on 11" with a long worldgen, it has had nasty crashes during the worldgen. looks like a memory allocation bug.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »

Got a siege in early Autumn of the first year.  Dwarf population: 9.  Goblin army size: 10.  They seem to be operating in two squads of 5, with a bowman in one squad and a crossbowman in the other.  I was able to wall myself in, so they can't hurt me at the moment, but... man.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2014, 03:16:12 pm »

Got a siege in early Autumn of the first year.  Dwarf population: 9.  Goblin army size: 10.  They seem to be operating in two squads of 5, with a bowman in one squad and a crossbowman in the other.  I was able to wall myself in, so they can't hurt me at the moment, but... man.

Well, damn. That's why I embarked to a volcanic island. I still get caravans somehow but no sieges or ambushes or thieves have showed up.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2014, 03:29:10 pm »

Necro siege, first summer of the new fort. Consists of a single necromancer and a single zombie.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2014, 03:30:14 pm »

I've been getting those too, most of the time they're just passing through and if there's no easy pickings they shuffle off.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44