Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108856 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #615 on: August 04, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

I imagine dwarven concessions are just jars of sweet pod syrup.
And tallow. Can't forget the tallow.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 04, 2014, 01:28:05 pm »

Oh man, sweatbread cookies.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 04, 2014, 06:04:06 pm »

In 40.06, with

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:0]

I'm seeing children born like crazy.  Population explosion, in fact.  I've had 7 births in three seasons (winter->summer) with less than 40 dwarves in the fort.  No-one is married.  Vanilla DF.

EDIT:

Also, I ran a fort for a few years in a freezing biome (-75 to -85 worldgen temp, "NO TRADE" warning) which prevents invaders/animals, in an attempt to only get megabeasts to show up, rather than removing the [FLIER] tag to fix animals/invasions in general.

Didn't work.  Got zero visitors except the liaison/caravan, with 100 megabeasts in the world.  I guess it's time to pull the flier tag in order to get !!FUN!! again. :(
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:17:17 pm by vjek »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:51 pm »

Others have reported the weird births thing, even on the starting 7 when they're not married.  Definitely sounds like something is broken.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 05, 2014, 10:43:56 am »

Created a pocket world with dwarves only, one surviving dwarven civ, 100 megabeasts.  Set invasion parameters to 10k created wealth, and embarked.

Removed [FLIER] tag from all creatures in the saved-game raws.

Animals now 'invade' as normal, even birds.  Yet, after 4 years, not a single megabeast showed up, despite reach 30k in created wealth.

In 34.11, I would have had many megabeasts attack, likely in the first year.  In 40.06? Zero.  It's really quite difficult to get any !!FUN!! , now, outside of necromancers.  Goblins won't attack, megabeasts won't attack...  :(  The only risk of failure is threadbare/rotting clothes!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 06, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »

For what it's worth, Toady recently fixed a number of bugs related to invaders, so that might be much different in .40.07.

On the other hand, I never really saw many megabeasts in the early years in .34.11.  Often times I'd never see any until I breached the caverns, and even then I might only see one or two FBs per year.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 07, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »

Animals now 'invade' as normal, even birds.  Yet, after 4 years, not a single megabeast showed up, despite reach 30k in created wealth.

In 34.11, I would have had many megabeasts attack, likely in the first year.  In 40.06? Zero.  It's really quite difficult to get any !!FUN!! , now, outside of necromancers.  Goblins won't attack, megabeasts won't attack...  :(  The only risk of failure is threadbare/rotting clothes!

30k in 4 years is not too much, you sure you don't mean 30 millions? I usually have about one million by the end of third year, and that's without using magma (so most of it is not metal). I have werebeasts and FBs in v.40.03-06 quite regularly. Megabeasts in this version (just like in v.34.x) need 80 dwarves and 100k in created wealth, with no requirement in exported wealth and 10k in exported wealth. However, since they are limited (I mean beasts like titans and dragons, not FBs) they may be absent, and will come later.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:04:24 pm by Saiko Kila »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 07, 2014, 12:56:15 pm »

The trigger values can be adjust in advanced worldgen.  I've tested this with titans, and they come almost immediately after the threshold is reached, whatever it is set to.  The number of dwarves can also be removed as a requirement.

But regardless, the No invader bug will likely be addressed in 40.07, and testing can resume in earnest.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »

I added a lot of titans (33) to a pocket island world and lowered the wealth-invasion requirements to 0 (or very low), set population number to spawn invasions at 18, and then embarked to reclaim the only dwarven fort on the map (they survived in a hillock or two, but lost the fort to the titans..)..

Embark was going well (had communal beds, stockpiles, basic industry set up) when some well-dressed goblins showed up.. Around 7 of them, they came along and totally exploded the entire dwarven population in no time :> Not absolutely sure, but I think the attack happened before a single season went by.. If not, it at least seemed like it! :)

As a side note, I usually don't even bother with forming or training any militia until something tragic happens :> If I can manage to barricade or block off the beast then I'll start an army :| Probably not the best way to go about it, but tis how I roll :| I know how to set up military stuffs but I (sadly/un-Dwarfly/Armok-offendingly) hate the militia UI :D Mahahahahahaa..

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »

uhh recently learn that ghosts can't path around in the air if they don't have flying naturally.
which means the player if they don't want ghost harassing them could just build a simple bridge trap that locks them in place.

they get only 1 chance of movement before being permanently lock in place the only way for them to escape is by having something on their feet.

I guess it's tied to do with the ghost flag not rig to the new flying mechanics and still tied to the old one which was gutted out. since this only works on ghost dwarves... and not say ghost birds.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 10, 2014, 04:51:53 pm »

Finally saw a kobold thief!  Two of them, in fact.  In the first couple days of the first summer.  And they caused kobolds to appear on the civilizations screen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:32 am »

Ran a 40.07 fort for over 3 years with 100 megabeasts in a pocket world as the only enemies.  Exceeded the attack trigger threshold by 10 times, saw exactly zero megabeasts. :(

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:33 am »

hitting the threshold doesn't magically make them appear at your front door...I believe they have to live or exist near your fort to even attack it. It's also a chance I think...not an automatic thing

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:30 am »

In 34.11 they appeared instantly after hitting the threshold, for me.

And in a pocket world, they're all "nearby".

Also, they're the only enemies in the world..  If they don't attack, what's their purpose?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:19 am »

Okay, tl;dr:
- Emo Dwarves! \o/
Urist McLaborer cancels Toil: These wounds they will not heal...
- Dwarves' job designations have gotten much better.
- Holy Cornucopia, Batman! What is a "purple amaranth"? Also, how I farm for persimmon?
- History Mode offers a lot of interesting tales. Apparently, historical fortresses can now set Forgotten beasts loose on the surface?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus, I found the tragic story of some poor sap who was abducted from his family three different times, escaping on the first two. Curiously, the abductors seemed to be humans.
Other interesting tidbits include named constructions like bridges and mead halls, and civs getting into petty squabbles over farmland and whatnot.
- Wagons and caravans are still hilariously broken (at least in 0.40.05): a human caravan piled up its own wagon train into my depot, mangling a human bowman in the process, and never left.
A pair of dwarven caravans deconstructed their wagons outside the fortress and high-tailed out of there for no apparent reason.
(Maybe they saw some dead bodies and panicked?)
- Trees sure like collapsing a lot, quite often pulping a limb or two from the unfortunate lumberjack involved.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44