Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108705 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #255 on: July 09, 2014, 01:40:08 pm »

I’ve finally gotten around to some playthrough with Outpost Heavymetal (see: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140026.0). It hasn’t been an in-game day since unpausing and I now have a river full of carp overcome with terror from a giant sponge:

This release is brilliant. 8)
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 09, 2014, 01:41:12 pm »

A carp fleeing? THIS IS NOT DF ANYMORE

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 09, 2014, 01:42:37 pm »

Trying to see how effective trap hallways are now;  had a vile force of darkness show up one year after embark.

I was almost ready, had 10 x 10 enormous iron corkscrews set up, goblins walked right through them.  I'm like... wha?

Similar results for the other 9 goblins in the squad.  I'll try serrated discs, next.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »

A carp fleeing? THIS IS NOT DF ANYMORE
To be fair, it's a giant sponge they're fleeing from.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 09, 2014, 02:03:18 pm »

EDIT: Double post.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:21 pm »

Trying to see how effective trap hallways are now;  had a vile force of darkness show up one year after embark.

I was almost ready, had 10 x 10 enormous iron corkscrews set up, goblins walked right through them.  I'm like... wha?

Similar results for the other 9 goblins in the squad.  I'll try serrated discs, next.

What kind of mechanisms are you using?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »

Anyone else notice that Liason meetings move at hyperspeed now? That's a huge improvement.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:18 pm »

... What kind of mechanisms are you using?
I've never had mechanism quality make a difference, so I'm not sure what you mean?
In this case, they're all the same variation of quality as the trap component, plain, -, +, and *.
Made out of marble or rock salt.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 09, 2014, 02:59:08 pm »

Mechanism quality is supposed to determine the trap's chance of hitting (analogous to weapon skill for a live attacker, I think).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 09, 2014, 03:04:47 pm »

All the traps act the same, regardless of the quality, in this case. (plain is the same as - or +).

They all miss, unless I block the path, and the goblin "stands" on the trap.  For example, if I build a wall, they stand on the trap and die, as it hits them.  It seems like when they have a path, it doesn't?

yes, this is all very strange, and not at all like 34.11, with respect to traps.

Finally, when the squad leader died, the 40.01 behavior is even worse than the 34.11 behavior.  Not only does the squad halt and stand there doing nothing like they did in 34.11, two of the goblins are switching places as fast as they can (they swap every 11 ticks), for no apparent reason.  This, as expected, is crushing FPS/performance.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 09, 2014, 03:09:21 pm »

All the traps act the same, regardless of the quality, in this case. (plain is the same as - or +).

They all miss, unless I block the path, and the goblin "stands" on the trap.  For example, if I build a wall, they stand on the trap and die, as it hits them.  It seems like when they have a path, it doesn't?

yes, this is all very strange, and not at all like 34.11, with respect to traps.

Finally, when the squad leader died, the 40.01 behavior is even worse than the 34.11 behavior.  Not only does the squad halt and stand there doing nothing like they did in 34.11, two of the goblins are switching places as fast as they can (they swap every 11 ticks), for no apparent reason.  This, as expected, is crushing FPS/performance.

Try it with a few masterwork mechanisms, it's possible they're just sort of badass and the random number god has shown them favor.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »

Downloaded, rolled a new world and started a new fortress.

Just after the first summer had rolled in, three kobold thieves appeared at the same time. My militia commander/only soldier was sent to deal with the little buggers since they wouldn't leave and kept climbing to trees in panic. The soldier in question - Domas Thornrims, a marksdwarf - didn't bother to equip any bolts from the stockpile and preferred to wrestle the 'bolds instead.

The first thief was quickly disposed of: Domas climbed after the treed kobold and threw a punch to neck and another to head, resulting in both bodyparts exploding with gore. After this slaughter Domas seemed to collapse in horror, with dramatic quotes in the combat logs: "Death... The horror... Our time in The Enchanted Planets is so brief... Begone fear!"

While the brave militia commander was busy being horrified one thief managed to escape from the map but the another was still running around aimlessly. It tried to climb to a tree again but Domas grabbed a hold of it's loincloth and prevented it from climbing any higher. After this he proceeded to strangle the kobold right there on the tree branch, while standing on the ground himself. I'm having trouble visualizing this myself; was he using a ladder?

Domas kept strangling the unconscious thief for days, himself passing out from exhaustion several times. Finally the deed was done and he crawled exhausted back to the fortress, leaving the kobold corpse dangling from the tree branch.

Liking so far what I'm seeing... though combat seems to be even more slapstick than in 34.11.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2014, 03:22:33 pm »

... Try it with a few masterwork mechanisms, it's possible they're just sort of badass and the random number god has shown them favor.
Yeah, if it means masterwork is the only thing that works, on a first attack, the first time the goblins are seen?  I'd say that's not working as intended. (imho)

I'll test other trap components first before I invest the time to train up a Legendary mechanic.

Something is definitely odd/different though.  Doing this exact same thing in 34.11, those goblins would have been skewered into chunky salsa, 99% of the time.

It's fine if traps are supposed to be ineffective.  If that's the goal, then mission accomplished.  It does sort of make you wonder, though, IF that is the goal, why have them at all?  I mean, these are just your garden variety goblins.  They're nothing special, and should be skewered to death in a hallway lined with traps.

I can make the save available, if anyone wants it, just PM me.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:25 pm »

Has anyone determined how good divine metal gear is?
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:27 pm »

... Try it with a few masterwork mechanisms, it's possible they're just sort of badass and the random number god has shown them favor.
Yeah, if it means masterwork is the only thing that works, on a first attack, the first time the goblins are seen?  I'd say that's not working as intended. (imho)

I'll test other trap components first before I invest the time to train up a Legendary mechanic.

Something is definitely odd/different though.  Doing this exact same thing in 34.11, those goblins would have been skewered into chunky salsa, 99% of the time.

It's fine if traps are supposed to be ineffective.  If that's the goal, then mission accomplished.  It does sort of make you wonder, though, IF that is the goal, why have them at all?  I mean, these are just your garden variety goblins.  They're nothing special, and should be skewered to death in a hallway lined with traps.

I can make the save available, if anyone wants it, just PM me.

Right but what the problem actually is depends on what forces are actually in play. Maybe Toady nerfed traps, maybe you found a band of goblin badasses, maybe you got some bad luck. Devising experiments to narrow down possibilities is the cornerstone of !!SCIENCE!!.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44