Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108091 times)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #270 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »

Warfare is now mainly psychological in nature.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »

Do marksmen train at archery targets yet?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 09, 2014, 04:15:10 pm »

Do marksmen train at archery targets yet?

They did before, but when active the range needed to be in thier assigned barracks area (that is, the designated area needed to have the ranges in it.)

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 09, 2014, 04:16:14 pm »

Kind of realistic, when you think about it. Most battles in ancient times IRL were more about which sides routed first rather than who killed the most. Plus it'll be fun to figure out how to catapult out corpses at the enemies just before releasing the macedwarves on the horrified goblins...

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 09, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »

Kind of realistic, when you think about it. Most battles in ancient times IRL were more about which sides routed first rather than who killed the most. Plus it'll be fun to figure out how to catapult out corpses at the enemies just before releasing the macedwarves on the horrified goblins...
DF 0.40: non-necromantic weaponization of corpses.

But maybe the demoralizing thing is to watch something die. In which case, you now have something to do with your spare cats.

Also, minecart shotguns.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »

Welp, the guy who climbed into the river ravine was still at it, so I breached fortress security and tunneled down to his landing spot to give him a way into the fortress that didn't involve climbing up over the smoothed walls. He ignored it, climbed back up the wall, and died of dehydration, falling right back into the river for the eighty millionth time. Then one of the other founders, who was crossing one of the bridges to install a ramp, cancelled her job in horror after she got a glimpse of the dead guy in the river below.

Rather hilariously, I'd checked out the guy who died shortly before his death, and he supposedly had nerves of steel. I bet he wouldn't have cancelled his job...
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 09, 2014, 04:49:26 pm »

Reminds me of this article which in turn reminded me of DF a lot...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 09, 2014, 04:56:14 pm »

Actually, I am excited that DF is going that route.  I think it's like 20% casualties before people start routing?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »

DF 0.40: non-necromantic weaponization of corpses.

But maybe the demoralizing thing is to watch something die. In which case, you now have something to do with your spare cats.

Also, minecart shotguns.
It's both, they react to corpses, death, and injury, I had a serious problem with wood hauling because a dwarves kept seeing the mangled corpses of owl men and being gripped by existential terror. .

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2014, 05:00:17 pm »

Plus it'll be fun to figure out how to catapult out corpses at the enemies just before releasing the macedwarves on the horrified goblins...

It'd be interesting if, when siege engines for invaders are implemented, after you do that to them, the next time they come back, they pull the same tactic on you, or perform it on another battlefield.  Even if it was a one-off thing, that'd be awesome that they basically learned a new warfare tactic from you.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

"Discipline" is a skill you can give combatants in arena mode that determines how well they take morale checks. I had a fistfight between a grand master in discipline and somebody with no skill and the no-skill guy immediately panics and runs, gaining a bit of experience from the event. I wonder how you can train it in dwarf mode...

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »

"Discipline" is a skill you can give combatants in arena mode that determines how well they take morale checks. I had a fistfight between a grand master in discipline and somebody with no skill and the no-skill guy immediately panics and runs, gaining a bit of experience from the event. I wonder how you can train it in dwarf mode...
Perhaps sparring? Maybe just being exposed to a hostile creature? Just have a goblin walled in in your dining hall and everyone who sees it gets a little discipline? We'll need to test this. Then find a danger room equivalent.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 09, 2014, 05:32:09 pm »

So far pretty interesting, same experience with trees as other people here, and some fun little fights here and there though nothing big yet (early on). Genning a new world to try our reclaiming an NPC fort and to check out legends mode.

Much more lag than in the past, normally I run the game at 60fps (I just prefer that to dwarves racing around) but my game can't even keep up with that.

Will comment with anything new.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 09, 2014, 05:35:09 pm »

Perhaps sparring? Maybe just being exposed to a hostile creature? Just have a goblin walled in in your dining hall and everyone who sees it gets a little discipline? We'll need to test this. Then find a danger room equivalent.

Training and being scared train discipline. The sight of fresh corpses does it, so does exposure to non hostile non pet animals.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Doesn't seem to affect moral as much as i'd like though, as soon as about 5 out of 10 guys in a group die, even grand-master disciplines seem to run.
And if you have a area that has bodies in it from a previous, unrelated battle, absolutely no-one wants to stay in a fight for long.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44