Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 108072 times)

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #285 on: July 09, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »

"Discipline" is a skill you can give combatants in arena mode that determines how well they take morale checks. I had a fistfight between a grand master in discipline and somebody with no skill and the no-skill guy immediately panics and runs, gaining a bit of experience from the event. I wonder how you can train it in dwarf mode...
Perhaps sparring? Maybe just being exposed to a hostile creature? Just have a goblin walled in in your dining hall and everyone who sees it gets a little discipline? We'll need to test this. Then find a danger room equivalent.

Isn't it obvious? Have a very deep shaft leading to your dining room. Throw captured enemies and excess animals down it. Eventually your dwarves will stop panicking and get used to the sight of exploded bodies.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »

Just found out that if you press tab when choosing to reclaim a fortress, it tells you when it was founded and what killed the place off.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:12 pm »

"Discipline" is a skill you can give combatants in arena mode that determines how well they take morale checks. I had a fistfight between a grand master in discipline and somebody with no skill and the no-skill guy immediately panics and runs, gaining a bit of experience from the event. I wonder how you can train it in dwarf mode...
Perhaps sparring? Maybe just being exposed to a hostile creature? Just have a goblin walled in in your dining hall and everyone who sees it gets a little discipline? We'll need to test this. Then find a danger room equivalent.
Could try the old strategy of pitting kittens from a splat height onto them.
edit: ninja'd
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 09, 2014, 05:41:18 pm »

All the traps act the same, regardless of the quality, in this case. (plain is the same as - or +).

They all miss, unless I block the path, and the goblin "stands" on the trap.  For example, if I build a wall, they stand on the trap and die, as it hits them.  It seems like when they have a path, it doesn't?

yes, this is all very strange, and not at all like 34.11, with respect to traps.

Finally, when the squad leader died, the 40.01 behavior is even worse than the 34.11 behavior.  Not only does the squad halt and stand there doing nothing like they did in 34.11, two of the goblins are switching places as fast as they can (they swap every 11 ticks), for no apparent reason.  This, as expected, is crushing FPS/performance.
I believe the reason they miss is because in time they activate, the goblins are already off the trap tile. So they're walking past it faster than it can attack them.

You can observe that effect in adventure mod while trying to attack somebody running away from you.
._.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:28 pm »

Could try the old strategy of pitting kittens from a splat height onto them.
edit: ninja'd

Discipline is raised by military training in general from what I can tell, which makes sense. It is also raised by expieriencing unpleasant things like corpses, miasma, or (possibly) particularly gruesome kills made by allies/enemies.

Just found out that if you press tab when choosing to reclaim a fortress, it tells you when it was founded and what killed the place off.

Great, now I feel stupid and chances are my curiosity will never be sated.

Doesn't seem to affect morale as much as i'd like though, as soon as about 5 out of 10 guys in a group die, even grand-master disciplines seem to run. And if you have a area that has bodies in it from a previous, unrelated battle, absolutely no-one wants to stay in a fight for long.

If half your squad just died, it doesn't matter how willing you are to fight at the bginning. Seeing that many friendlies die is gonna make morale take a pretty steep nosedive.

As to the leftovers from past fights, it's also understandable. There may be people they knew mixed into that pile of bones and rotting carcasses, and in general the remains of sapients cause extremely negative responses (ranging from just the corpse stinking to being overcome by horror at the mangled corpses and partial skeletons,) in dwarves lacking solid discipline to ignore/cope with it.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »

... I believe the reason they miss is because in time they activate, the goblins are already off the trap tile. So they're walking past it faster than it can attack them.

You can observe that effect in adventure mod while trying to attack somebody running away from you.
Makes sense, and lines up with my observations so far.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:05 pm »

Sounds like you need to manually activate the traps somehow using a high speed repeater. Having the traps fire in a specific pattern, coupled with a suitable length of trapped corridor, should ensure that even very fast moving goblins are able to get mangled properly.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »

Isn't it obvious? Have a very deep shaft leading to your dining room. Throw captured enemies and excess animals down it. Eventually your dwarves will stop panicking and get used to the sight of exploded bodies.
So, basically the same as before.  But now with actual mechanical benefit.
I'd suggest using windows.  Less to clean.   Blood will ruin a carpet.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2014, 07:02:44 pm »

I had someone repeatedly go into spells of horror over the remains of hamsters and other vermin.  Makes me think I ought to put the refuse stockpile at the fort entrance to hopefully develop some discipline after the first few cancellations.

I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2014, 07:08:02 pm »

I have a feeling that littering ones fortress with dead bodies to harden the minds of its inhabitants will be a thing...on the flip side I do find this to be a pretty nifty thing...you can in theory make a fortress of hardened people who have seen and suffered much death and are capable and rugged while your royalty would be soft cowards.

so much extra personality and realism to seiges and settlements!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 09, 2014, 07:13:22 pm »

You can also now make walls of dead people and it will scare people away...
._.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:05 pm »

Sadly, out of nowhere, it crashed, and now anytime I play (even with new world genned) it crashes almost immediately. Maybe I'll try deleting and reinstalling (I know this is par for the course for a new release, just a bummer is all).

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 09, 2014, 07:31:04 pm »

This...is really silly now, started a new fortress next to some terrifying mountains, decided to make a massive amount of drinks for trade, 8 or so dark gnomes spawn and make a beeline to it guzzling about a hundred units in 5 minutes, so I draft some dwarves to go after them...they kill one then suddenly all of them are horified and the dark gnomes go back to drinking more.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 09, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

... I believe the reason they miss is because in time they activate, the goblins are already off the trap tile. So they're walking past it faster than it can attack them.

Makes sense, and lines up with my observations so far.
You can also observe that traps don't trigger after you step off the tile in adventure mode, so no.
I've experience the horror of the new "neck" part and traps in the same event.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:18 pm »

Alright, here’s a new one from Heavymetal (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140026.0): 7 in-game days after embark, a Flame Haunt turns up in the “missing” list. What?!

I have no combat logs.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44